Having trouble deciding between the Trek Verve+ 3, Allant+ 7, and Allant +7S

sgvtrees

Region
USA
Long story short, I want the ergo's of the Verve+ 3, but the power, torque and range of the Allant+ 7 (or 7S).

I prefer super relaxed ergo's with a straight back and no excessive reach to the handlebar. The Verve+ nails it in this category, but it has a relatively weak 50 Nm Bosch motor compared to the Allant+ 7. The Allant is billed as a "sporty commuter" with a slightly bent back, which I am not a fan of, but a more powerful 85 Nm torque motor. I know I could just buy an adjustable stem for it, but I fear that if I try to turn an Allant+ into a Verve+ via stem and riser mods, other things could go wrong. What do you think?

The vast majority of my riding will be on flat, paved road surfaces like bike paths. Most if not all of my rides will be 30+ miles. There's a nice 55 mile loop around my area that I'd like to be able to do with some pedal assistance.

We purchased the Verve+ 4S low step last week. This model has the performance line sport which has 65nm of torque. While dealing with some mobility issues, I’m more comfortable with this bike than my Allant. The bike has the 10 speed Deore components and larger tires than the verve+3.

I have a Verve+3 and it just flipped over 4000 miles. I like it but on longer rides I sometimes wish for the more powerful motor.

I put 2,500 miles on my Verve+3 and now have 8,300miles on my Allant 7s.
Class 3 vs. Class 1 plus front suspension keep me in the Allant saddle. Mods to the Allant include a handlebar riser, 625w RIB, and 500w Range Extender. Plus I generally upgrade components when doing maintenance.

If you prefer the taller hybrid frame, the Verve+4s would be a very good choice.

Last edited:
I prefer super relaxed ergo's with a straight back and no excessive reach to the handlebar.
The biggest myth people still believe in is the upright riding position is comfortable. Ride for 25+ miles and your butt will tell you...

...Your "comfortable" e-bike was not that comfortable at all :)

Not sure whether you made up your mind yet but I would choose the 7S myself with no mods for the first 6 months :)

Appreciate your input but not everyone can tolerate a lean-forward riding position. I have the adjustable stem on my Verve+ 2 set in line with the steering head and I routinely ride 33+ miles 2x times weekly with no communication from my back other than relief. To each their own.

Last edited:
I was looking at these bikes and ended up selecting an Electra Townie Path Go 10d. It has the Bosch performance line and is a lot more powerful than it looks. Plus it has an upright position. I can’t lean forward due to neck and shoulder issues so this is perfect for me.

Very good choice! A friend rides one and loves it. You will log many happy smile miles.

I just bought a Verve+ 4S. I wasn’t really planning to invest in another bike right now, just to test ride; but I lucked into a very steep discount and the 4S ticked a lot of boxes for me, especially after a test ride today (I was looking for many of the same factors as the OP). Will report back once I’ve had a chance to ride it more extensively; it’ll be ready to pick up in about a week or so. It has a 30 day return, so while I’m hoping I’ll love it, I can return it if I don’t.

Side note: Trek - or at least, the Trek store near me - is having a “Ride and Win” promotion right now, where if you test ride one of their bikes you get a scratch off ticket for a variety of potential prizes. Hence the steep discount; my “prize” was a rather large discount. The promotion ends Sept. 6, so if you’re planning to do test rides, you may as well do it before Sept. 6!

Last edited:
I was looking at these bikes and ended up selecting an Electra Townie Path Go 10d. It has the Bosch performance line and is a lot more powerful than it looks. Plus it has an upright position. I can’t lean forward due to neck and shoulder issues so this is perfect for me.
It is an excellent bike. That is our neighborhood cruiser and tow bike for the Burley Trailer with the grandkids. A very comfortable and good looking bike with excellent components.

It is an excellent bike. That is our neighborhood cruiser and tow bike for the Burley Trailer with the grandkids. A very comfortable and good looking bike with excellent components.
I got mine in March and I’ve put over 1700 km on it riding on country roads and trails. It’s really great and I think understated. I have become a lot stronger climbing the many hills in my area en route to the rail trail too.

Back