Trek allant + 7

Two other people I met with same bike have the same issue.
Are you sure original components are fine ?

Thanks

Yeah, the Alivio stuff is great. It's not the latest tech with 12 speeds, a clutch, and extra do-dads, but it does what it does very well. Any setup will shift poorly if it's not properly set-up (or damaged), and whoever assembles these bikes is not very good at it. Has it been tuned by an experienced wrench? There are tools that can diagnose this when in the hands of a competent mechanic. I've put 3k miles on one in a year and can't say enough good things about it. Actually it's one of the best-shifting drivetrains I've ever used.

The chains that come on these do wear out too quickly - they really need ebike chains - especially if you're mostly using Turbo mode. I think I got almost 800 miles out of my original chain before it failed the go/no go test and that's mostly in eco mode. Over 2k on a new ebike chain and still going strong.

Misalignment of the rear hub can also affect shifting. Those 2 smallest cogs are at the extreme end of the range & will be a little more sensitive to small variations than gears closer to a straight chainline. Spending a lot of time down there at low cadence may be doing bad things to the motor too.

I paid a pretty penny for this bike (3,800) so I'm not following the understandably keeping costs down logic. I'm not real pleased nor in line for another Trek due to this unresolved issue.
Thanks !

I paid a pretty penny for this bike (3,800) so I'm not following the understandably keeping costs down logic. I'm not real pleased nor in line for another Trek due to this unresolved issue.
Thanks !
Have you called Trek Tech Support? (800) 585-8735 They can be quite helpful with suggestions.

Thanks !

This is a drivetrain issue. Trek does not make drivetrains. Get with a good mechanic - they should be able to figure it out.

i had the issue until my wheel was rebuilt but more the drive train was upgraded with new front chain ring, new chain, new gear cogs. just picked up today from maintenance where they replaced this again now 7000 miles later rather than 800-1200 that the originals lasted.

Yeah, the Alivio stuff is great. It's not the latest tech with 12 speeds, a clutch, and extra do-dads, but it does what it does very well.
Strong statement. What data do you have to back it up?

The pantograph bearings on my Alivio derailleur failed at 800-900 miles and 6 months in mixed flat and hilly terrain. That started a failure cascade resulting in a whole new drivetrain.

Worked perfectly when I first got the bike, so hard to blame the derailleur's early demise on a flawed setup.

Strong statement. What data do you have to back it up?

The pantograph bearings on my Alivio derailleur failed at 800-900 miles and 6 months in mixed flat and hilly terrain. That started a failure cascade resulting in a whole new drivetrain.

Worked perfectly when I first got the bike, so hard to blame the derailleur's early demise on a flawed setup.

Data? Lol. Go find someone who's lab-testing these - which is probably nobody. I stand by my statements though. I own everything from XTR down and the Alivio has been amazing over 3,000 miles. And I did not expect it to be. I also ride in the mountains.

And yeah, poor setup will tear up components. Too many assume that the bike is perfect when they get it - which is rarely the case.

Data? Lol. Go find someone who's lab-testing these - which is probably nobody. I stand by my statements though. I own everything from XTR down and the Alivio has been amazing over 3,000 miles. And I did not expect it to be. I also ride in the mountains.

And yeah, poor setup will tear up components. Too many assume that the bike is perfect when they get it - which is rarely the case.
So you're basing your strong endorsement of the Alivio derailleur solely on personal experience, with a sample of one or two?

One thing to say that your own Alivios have lasted. Quite another to imply that they're durable in general, absent careful lab testing or service life stats.

Last edited:
So you're basing your strong endorsement of the Alivio derailleur solely on personal experience, with a sample of one or two?

One thing to say that your own Alivio's have lasted. Quite another to imply that they're durable in general, absent careful lab testing or service life stats.

So go find some data.

While Alivio is good, and I have used it on a hub-drive e-bike, we need to understand it is a lower echelon of group-sets, not necessarily good for a mid-drive motor e-bike.

While Alivio is good, and I have used it on a hub-drive e-bike, we need to understand it is a lower echelon of group-sets, not necessarily good for a mid-drive motor e-bike.

I've had more issues with XT and SLX mechs on analog bikes than the Alivio on an ebike. Moral of the story is - higher in the price range doesn't make it more reliable. You just get more features, lower weight, and a higher pricetag. Some higher end gear is actually weaker than the cheaper alternative as it uses lighter materials - ex aluminum vs steel. Aluminum is not as strong as steel - there is data to back that up :p. Higher-end modern drivetrains need to accommodate tighter tolerances and weaker componentry to compensate for the additional gearing and features. Sometimes simpler actually is better.

I've had more issues with XT and SLX mechs on analog bikes than the Alivio on an ebike. Moral of the story is - higher in the price range doesn't make it more reliable. You just get more features, lower weight, and a higher pricetag. Some higher end gear is actually weaker than the cheaper alternative as it uses lighter materials - ex aluminum vs steel. Aluminum is not as strong as steel - there is data to back that up :p. Higher-end modern drivetrains need to accommodate tighter tolerances and weaker componentry to compensate for the additional gearing and features. Sometimes simpler actually is better.
Nah.

Two other people I met with same bike have the same issue.
Are you sure original components are fine ?

Thanks
I have the same problem with my Allant+ 7S -- chain skips in 9th (largest sprocket on the cassette). I brought it back to the selling bike store and they said the derailer was fine, but bent back the derailer hanger. It worker for 100 miles or so, and then the skipping in 9th gear started up again. I only have 450 miles on the bike, so this is a serious issue for me. any suggestions for possible replacement derailer hangers?

I have the same problem with my Allant+ 7S -- chain skips in 9th (largest sprocket on the cassette). I brought it back to the selling bike store and they said the derailer was fine, but bent back the derailer hanger. It worker for 100 miles or so, and then the skipping in 9th gear started up again. I only have 450 miles on the bike, so this is a serious issue for me. any suggestions for possible replacement derailer hangers?
A skipping chain is a clear indication of a worn cassette. Especially the outer 2 sprockets.

I have replaced the cassette on my 7s. several times. (Every couple thousand miles.) An inexpensive and satisfying fix. Easy problem solving.

>9K miles on the 7s and still smiling every mile. Ride long, ride strong!

Sparky731, thanks for the comment. Going to the bike store today to check the sprocket (I'm kind of new to this). I did think my sprocket should last more than 450 miles.

Sparky731, thanks for the comment. Going to the bike store today to check the sprocket (I'm kind of new to this). I did think my sprocket should last more than 450 miles.
Hope they take care of you. Make sure they give the entire drivetrain a close inspection.

I once had a defective derailleur take out an entire drivetrain at 900 mi. Skipping on the smallest cogs was one of the symptoms. The prematurely worn cassette and chain were victims in that case, not the root cause. The sand and salt air here no doubt accelerated the process.

But hard to imagine an enviroment or riding style that could simply wear out an otherwise normal cassette or chain in 450 mi. To me, that points to a damaged or defective component somewhere in the system.

For example, a faulty shift of any cause could break a cassette tooth under heavy load. I've read that broken teeth can lead to skipping.

Last edited:
Back