Torque Arm and wheel not staying tight on axle

zdavo26

I put an ebike kit on an older mountain bike. I bought a torque arm and installed to help with the torque but my fork is still coming loose. Anyone have any suggestions on how to solve the issue and keep the fork tight on the wheel? I have a 1000w front hub motor. Thanks!

This belongs under maintenance forum below.
Put a 2nd nut on each side to lock the first one down. Torque the first one to about 50 ft lb, the steel in the cheap motors is soft. Counter rotate the 2nd nut to about the same amount.
I tried blue loktite as people suggested, and that procedure was worthless.
Red locktite has to be heated to be removed, and the cable prevents that.
You may have to remove the connector block for the sensor connectors to get a 2nd nut on. I did. Draw the color diagram first. If the white rectangular block, you can push the tangs back on the pins with a steel pick.
You may find your nuts are 14 mm x 1.5 which is pretty common. Those are on MAC. But the off brand ones, the nuts are mostly 14 mm x 1.75 which is weird. You can't buy those at mcmaster or grainger or Oreilly's or Autozone. I found some at a motorcycle shop, but for my second install the new owner had thrown all that trash away. I made two from 12 mm nuts with a tap from victornet.com . You have to drill out the 12 mm threads with a 1/2" drill. Use safety glasses.

Indianajo owns a more powerful motor with 14mm axles, but many motors use a 12mm axle with two sides ground off by 1mmm so the resulting 10mm axle fits in a 10mm bicycle dropout.

It's common to file the 10mm axle dropout at least 1mm deeper so the washers and nut will be centered in the same place. The picture shows that on a rear axle. The second picture shows why its needed when you have lawyer tabs on a front fork. Unless you recenter the axle by powering the slot, the mounting hardware won't lay flat inside the recess.

42641 42643

So first make sure you have a flat surface for both the torque arm and the hardware. You also want the axle to fit tight tight in the slot and for the torque arm to fit tight over the axle.

I use torque arms in the rear if it's an alloy frame.

I've put one small motor in the front and it was also an alloy fork. I used two torque arms. Even after 18 months, I don't think it was a wise choice, and I will probably convert to a steel fork this winter.

Attachments

• P1040273.JPG
    P1040273.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 691
Pictures would help. 1000w is a bit much for a front fork.
i always use two torque arms on any front install. But do post a picture. It’s important to know which torque arms and how you have them fitted and set up. Otherwise everyone is guessing.

Back