Tool Kit

Does anyone carry plier or locking pliers?

I take a small Leatherman tool (I think one of the "squirt" models). I used to have a tiny pair of needle nose pliers I got from a promotional tool kit at a trade show long ago. The problem with them was that the needle end of those pliers was so sharp and pointy it would puncture most any stuff sack or bike bag I place the pliers inside.

I take a small Leatherman tool (I think one of the "squirt" models). I used to have a tiny pair of needle nose pliers I got from a promotional tool kit at a trade show long ago. The problem with them was that the needle end of those pliers was so sharp and pointy it would puncture most any stuff sack or bike bag I place the pliers inside.

A small piece of medium-flex tube/hose that is longer than the needle' portion of your plier and a little smaller diameter than the thicker end of the taper.

Jam the tube thing over the end and they are no longer a threat to your bag, but still sharp when you need them to be.

I've found PVC tubing is usually good.
Avoid the silicon stuff - it tends to be too flexible and doesn't provide protection - the nose will just puncture the tube then your bag.

Also - I picked up a portable pump with a small pressure gauge built into the hose. It may not be the tiniest of pumps for carrying around, but the built-in gauge is quite handy and saves carrying a separate one. (less to lose)

This is the one I got: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-372/Mini-Zee2-Pump

There is an alternative that's a bit smaller & lighter: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-374/Mini-Roadie-Pump

I prefer the longer hose and easier pump style of the first one, partially as it is my only pump for the time being. They can handle both valve types - which has already come in handy to help out a coworker one day.

I don't have anything to confirm the accuracy of the pressure gauge, but I'm sure it's close enough to keep you in the proper range - especially in an emergency.

About tires, no matter how puncture resistant or self sealing a tire is one day you will be stuck along the roadside with a flat tire. Maybe you live someplace well-covered by Uber but if you don't you really ought to be able to fix a flat in the field.

My main repair concern, now that I have an ebike -- one with an internal rear hub -- is fixing a flat on the road (well, I'd probably just carry a spare tube). The rare times I had to do it with a regular bike, it was just kind of a pain, but no big deal. For the ebike, it's definitely more involved and I need to figure out how to do it. I've been looking into a fix-a-flat type product just to get me home, but I don't know how well they work.

Maybe he has a poor quality valve core so the air keep deflating every few miles?

I frequently check tires by feel or if the ride doesn't feel quite right. Temperature changes pressure. I can give 'em shot or let some
out. The type of surface is a consideration as well.

A lot of stuff in that tool kit isn't going to do you a lot of good. You still need tire levers, a patch kit, and a pump. The lug wrench (and for that matter all of the wrenches) aren't likely to be very helpful in making field repairs.

Some "multi-tools" have a separate set of allen head wrenches.

To get my back wheel off -- which I would need to do to fix a flat -- I need a 15 mm wrench

So to get your back wheel off you need four different sized wrenches and an adjustable wrench? I don't want to know what brand of bike you ride, but if you really need all those tools to remove the rear wheel you need to set your bike on fire.

Also, you can patch a bike tire in the field without removing the wheel.

So to get your back wheel off you need four different sized wrenches and an adjustable wrench? I don't want to know what brand of bike you ride, but if you really need all those tools to remove the rear wheel you need to set your bike on fire.

Also, you can patch a bike tire in the field without removing the wheel.

Where did I say I needed all those wrenches? Please show me. I said that I need one wrench for my back wheel. You wrote previously "and for that matter all of the wrenches aren't likely to be very helpful in making field repairs." I need the one wrench, thank you. And yes, I know how to fix flats without removing the wheel. But when my only choices are to sit 3 feet from traffic moving 60 mph or move into the roadside ditch with no level surface when it's raining, dark, and windy, It's a lot faster and easier (for me) to take the back wheel off. I notice your video is shot inside, on a nice, flat, dry, well-lit concrete floor. With a standing floor pump no less.

Minimalist approach. Need a LBS to do tire repair due to type of bike components. I would call my wife or Uber suv

Attachments

• ADF40243-F4E5-4D51-9C3F-DCFC64E4CCFB.jpeg
    ADF40243-F4E5-4D51-9C3F-DCFC64E4CCFB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 395
Minimalist approach. Need a LBS to do tire repair due to type of bike components. I would call my wife or Uber suv

I'm semi-minimal. I can think of only a couple of two times I've needed to do anything other than change out or repair a tube. I still carry this 20+ year old little guy, plus a little tire repair kit with pedro's levers and (sometimes) a spare tube. And I'll have to add a 15mm wrench for removing the back wheel. Or maybe just get slime, but I don't know how well that works.

20180726_085631.jpg

20180726_085547.jpg

Back