Took Delivery of Aventon Level Today

I was looking at the same mirror that you picked as well as theSuntour seatpost I think I saw it for around $58 on aliexpress. Other extras I’m looking at are the Knog Ol Luxe bell, Fomtour adjustable stem, can of Slime, front frame bag that has clear compartment on top for phone, I may also take a look at a rear seat bag like what you got and or this panner
what I don’t like about the bag it would block the rear light if I attach it to seat post perhaps I can mount it on the luggage rack. Then I would only use the panner if I went on camping trip.
I don’t recall if I mentioned it before on a friends bike he had one of the oversized cloud 9 saddles it was really comfortable but I think it Would look out of place on the Level, I think once I break my butt into shape with the stock saddle it will be fine. If I’m not comfortable with the grips I’ll begin looking on my motorcycle my hands get numb on occasion as I have a problem with trigger finger on 70% of my hand I may need another cortiz shot .
thanks

I concur with MMC. The color is charcoal, with a very rich looking automotive quality paint job. The bike gets a lot of compliments, and I have yet to see a nicer quality paint job. The other accessories I've added in addition to the Fomtor stem:
(Sunrimoon) helmet with LED, compliments the bike color scheme.
Flashing LED lights, great price, great value.
Rear Seat Bag
Mirror
Handlebar Grips - I will eventually opt for the Ergon grips or the SQLab 702's

Most of the bike trails in my area are well paved and smooth. Some of the older trails have not been repaved and have some buckling from tree roots. I have decided to get the Suntour SP12NCX Suspension Seatpost, which should be the end of my accessory hunt.

As far as service goes, I reached out via email to Aventon on an issue I had and the Aventon Tech was very responsive within a day.
I added the SQLab 710 grips today. THEY ARE THE BOMB!
I Also added the Suntour SP12-NCX Suspension Seat Post. It's like riding on a cloud!

I added the SQLab 710 grips today. THEY ARE THE BOMB!
I Also added the Suntour SP12-NCX Suspension Seat Post. It's like riding on a cloud!
I keep debating that seatpost as I've never had the need to swap one.. but now I'm even more intrigued lol. I may have missed it but which saddle are you going with Tom? I see so much adoration for the leather Brooks but idk...

And YES YES YESS the paint job on this bike is incredible.. the build quality is just through the roof all around tbh. And the customer service is super responsive. I was having an issue with my front fender (I think they sent me a medium fender for a large bike). And they sorted it right away.

Last edited:
I keep debating that seatpost as I've never had the need to swap one.. but now I'm even more intrigued lol. I may have missed it but which saddle are you going with Tom? I see so much adoration for the leather Brooks but idk...

And YES YES YESS the paint job on this bike is incredible.. the build quality is just through the roof all around tbh. And the customer service is super responsive. I was having an issue with my front fender (I think they sent me a medium fender for a large bike). And they sorted it right away.
I'm using the stock saddle, and yes I am really pleased with the customer service. Get the seat post before you switch saddles.

After researching electric bikes and enjoying a rental bike on my vacation to Monterey CA in July, I decided to invest in two Aventon Levels, one each for me and my wife. Took about 45 minutes to complete the assembly of each. No issues to note on assembly. Took the bikes out for our first test drive around our house (6 miles). We are fortunate to live in an area with an endless supply of paved bike/walking trails that will take us 30 miles all the way to Washington D.C. The Level looks beautiful, and appears to be very well made. Seems to be very sturdy and powerful. We rented 350 Watt bikes in Monterey and they were sufficiently powered. The Level is has much more power than I think we really need. The Assist levels 1-5 will get you up to 31 mph. Assist level 1 seems to be all the power that we will need for general cruising. A bit disappointed that there are no cage bosses for a water bottle, but I knew that ahead of time. That would be my only complaint. So far so good! A very nice bike. I'll return periodically to update my review. ~Tom
I'm looking to buy a bike for myself and my wife. Friends of ours just got the Level and love it. Did you look at the Surface Colt or Rook?

good afternoon Tom I am very pleased with your response and also very much entertained as well. It was like I was sitting in a nice comfortable chair reading something out of a good positive book, just put a smile on my face and I got a good laugh ,A positive laugh. and I think Van Halen was never the same when David Lee Roth left, just my opinion.
So that's great news because it ends my search and also puts me in a much more comfortable price point.
I had narrowed my search down to Frey CC or EX or ,Sonders elite , . Out of about 50 to 75 other companies. I didn't think that I could grab a bike of any quality under $ 2,000 ,so I never looked. Wow was I wrong.
appreciate the info Tom. I'll feel a lot better spending half the money and still getting a quality bike that happens to have a lot of curb appeal.
I'll keep you posted
Ordered mine Aventon Level last week. Just got notification it got loaded on the truck for delivery. Thanks for sharing your updates @Tom@WashDC Learning a lot from it.
@Pro street Sammy all the way!!! Dave was a showman (which has its place) but Sammy was the real deal on the band. Irrespective, I'm sure both of us can agree on one thing - RIP Eddie.

ou812, congrats! You are going to love it! Glad I could help out.

I've been researching e-bikes after riding an Aventon Level a few weeks ago. I wasn't sure if that was the right bike for me as I had very little knowledge of what other bikes were available out there. While there are a lot of options and I'm sure some very good ones, I've pretty much decided to go with a Level. One major reason is the price and features it includes. Another is the ability to buy it and have it assembled and serviced by a local bike shop. I've read any number of testimonials regarding how easy it is to assemble it yourself and I have no doubt that's probably true for those experienced in bicycle mechanics (which I can't claim to be!). I did note that some Aventon literature regarding self-assembly states that you should have final adjustments made by a professional bicycle mechanic. My local shop has indicated that if I buy the bike through them, they will assemble it for no additional cost beyond the $1599 price. I'm more than willing to support my local bike shop under those circumstances! More to come once I get my bike and start riding...

Last edited:
JVD, you will surely enjoy it and it will last you for many years. Welcome to the Club!

Tom, Thank you for your input. My Level arrived today. I bought the Fomtor stem as well. It appears to be similar to the one that Aventon has on the 500. Why it was not included on the Level puzzles me.

Now for the next puzzle. There is a small silver piece in a bag with two screws and two hex heads. What for? Aventon includes no instructions and there is nothing in their video showing it.,

Attachments

• Level Part.jpg
    Level Part.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 274
Tom, Thank you for your input. My Level arrived today. I bought the Fomtor stem as well. It appears to be similar to the one that Aventon has on the 500. Why it was not included on the Level puzzles me.

Now for the next puzzle. There is a small silver piece in a bag with two screws and two hex heads. What for? Aventon includes no instructions and there is nothing in their video showing it.,
Waterman, take a look at your Derailleur, it is an extra Derailleur hanger. Yeah, I found it weird that they didn't label it. Just threw it in the mix.
Congrats on your new Level, you are going to really enjoy it.

Due in part to recommendations here, I bought my Level in January and after 2 months have become totally addicted to riding it as often as possible. I just passed the 600-mile mark the other day and am very satisfied that the bike has met all of my expectations. In addition to some of the quirks noted elsewhere in these forums (which I've adjusted to for the most part), there is one aspect I was wondering if anyone else has noticed. Regardless of which PAS I'm using (mostly 1-3), I find I wish there was another gear or two above the #8 gear the bike came with. With the current gearing and except for some hill riding, I find I spend most time in gears 6-8 and wish there was a 9. Does anyone know if changing the sprocket set to provide a bit higher gear is possible. Is it possible to change out just the highest sprocket or does the whole set have to be replaced?

Hi JVD. Congrats on your Aventon Level acquisition.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you "wish there was a 9". Based on your shifter, gear number 8 means you pedal faster, and have more torque for hill climbing. Are you in search of a sprocket larger than your 34T for more torque and better climbing? Or, are you wanting more speed in gear shift indicator number 1, your smallest sprocket with 12 teeth?

Yes, technically you may be able to change or swap out the cog(s) (sprocket) in your cassette, and/or you can rearrange or rework the cogs. Some riders don't feel the need to use all 8 gears. Here is an article on How To Re-work Your Cassette.

If you want a different cog size spread you may be able to purchase a compatible 9, 10, or 11 speed cassette and remove some cogs to have an 8-speed cassette with a different cog size spread. If you use larger cogs, you may need to get a different derailleur.

I think it is easier to change your entire cassette DIY for about $20-$40. The Level has a 12T-32T cassette. You could install an 11T-34T cassette which will give you a slight increase in your top-end speed, more hill climbing torque, and different cog sizes, but I don't think the addition of one or two more teeth on your smallest and largest cogs will be that much if an improvement. The 11T-34T should be compatible with your current derailleur. You could step up to an 11T-42T cassette which will give you markedly better hill climbing, and a different cog spread but you may need to change your derailleur to accommodate a 42T cog

Bear in mind that if you change the number of teeth in your setup you will probably have to shorten or lengthen your chain by removing or adding links.

~Tom

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you "wish there was a 9". Based on your shifter, gear number 8 means you pedal faster, and have more torque for hill climbing. Are you in search of a sprocket larger than your 34T for more torque and better climbing? Or, are you wanting more speed in gear shift indicator number 1, your smallest sprocket with 12 teeth?

Yes, technically you may be able to change or swap out the cog(s) (sprocket) in your cassette, and/or you can rearrange or rework the cogs. Some riders don't feel the need to use all 8 gears. Here is an article on How To Re-work Your Cassette.

If you want a different cog size spread you may be able to purchase a compatible 9, 10, or 11 speed cassette and remove some cogs to have an 8-speed cassette with a different cog size spread. If you use larger cogs, you may need to get a different derailleur.

I think it is easier to change your entire cassette DIY for about $20-$40. The Level has a 12T-32T cassette. You could install an 11T-34T cassette which will give you a slight increase in your top-end speed, more hill climbing torque, and different cog sizes, but I don't think the addition of one or two more teeth on your smallest and largest cogs will be that much if an improvement. The 11T-34T should be compatible with your current derailleur. You could step up to an 11T-42T cassette which will give you markedly better hill climbing, and a different cog spread but you may need to change your derailleur to accommodate a 42T cog

Bear in mind that if you change the number of teeth in your setup you will probably have to shorten or lengthen your chain by removing or adding links.

~Tom
Thanks Tom. I was mainly interested in seeing if the top gear could provide me a little more pedal pressure when in PAS 3 or higher. I'm not necessarily looking for more speed, just a bit more of workout when I go beyond PAS 2. I'll probably talk to my local shop to see what they would recommend. I know them and trust that they won't try to sell me something that won't result in much of a difference. In the end, it's a relatively small complaint about a bike that I love otherwise.

Thanks Tom. I was mainly interested in seeing if the top gear could provide me a little more pedal pressure when in PAS 3 or higher. I'm not necessarily looking for more speed, just a bit more of workout when I go beyond PAS 2. I'll probably talk to my local shop to see what they would recommend. I know them and trust that they won't try to sell me something that won't result in much of a difference. In the end, it's a relatively small complaint about a bike that I love otherwise.
I've wondered the exact same thing. The ideal would have one more gear of more push in PAS 2/3....

Reactions: JVD

~Tom
Hi Tom,
Did you experience any issues with cable length after installing the aftermarket stem?
My Level should be shipping from Aventon tomorrow. I’m soo stoked man I can hardly stand it!

Hi Tom,
Did you experience any issues with cable length after installing the aftermarket stem?
My Level should be shipping from Aventon tomorrow. I’m soo stoked man I can hardly stand it!
I can reply that my Level's front brake cable limits my Fomtor adjustable stem to a 20 degree rise. That's about the lift I need, but I am tempted to extend that cable's length to see if a 30 degree rise offers still more comfort.

Last edited:
Hi Tom,
i had no issues with the cable length with the Fomtor

Back