Took Delivery of Aventon Level Today

Well ... I haven’t even received my Level yet, (hoping for delivery on 3/30), and man have I got the eBike bug! So far I’ve purchased the following aftermarket add-ons:

Black Hexlox Kit for added security on Stem/handlebar, seat/seatpost, and front tire
Bike Horn/Alarm
Kinekt Seatpost
Tannus Tire Inserts
90mm Fomtor Stem

I still need to order a bag with panniers, mirror, and an extra lock.

I have been using this bag Topeak DXP QuickTrack w/Panniers and would love to be able to use it on my Level, but I can’t find the QuickTrack system (QuickTrack) my bag needs to slide into. Everyone is out of stock. I have read that some bags may interfere with the seatpost suspension’s travel, so I want to see what i have to work with prior to purchasing something. I may go with the same bag but with Velcro straps Velcro MTX TrunkBag w/Panniers. It’s been a fantastic bag for me for the last 7 months and I highly recommend this bag/brand.

I think I’m pretty much good to go and will be cooking with Crisco once my bike arrives. Thanks to everyone in this thread for their awesome, thoughtful, and genuine feedback!!

Last edited:
You must live in a really rough part of town if you think you need to secure your handlbars. They will steal your complete bike in 10 seconds before they take the time for the handlebars, which are cheap. I doubt you will have the clearance to install Hexlox anyway. Don't buy stuff you don't need. Save that money for your Panniers or a dinner when you get to your destination after your first journey.

You must live in a really rough part of town if you think you need to secure your handlbars. They will steal your complete bike in 10 seconds before they take the time for the handlebars, which are cheap. I doubt you will have the clearance to install Hexlox anyway. Don't buy stuff you don't need. Save that money for your Panniers or a dinner when you get to your destination after your first journey.
These meth heads where I live will steal anything they can. Hexlox is just a deterrent. I have a cheap beach cruiser and have had my handlebars and saddle stolen off of it while chained up at a Publix. Both cost $34 to replace combined.

On Amazon there are two Fomtor adjustable stems. I had cable length problems with the 110 mm stem. The 90 mm worked perfectly for me. The # for the 90 mm is https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CKRS6

On Amazon there are two Fomtor adjustable stems. I had cable length problems with the 110 mm stem. The 90 mm worked perfectly for me. The # for the 90 mm is https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CKRS6QB
I have the Aventon Level and I just bought a Fomtor 900 stem. I haven't tried to install it yet because I can't get the screws loose to set the angle on the Fomtor. I've seen some place else on this forum where someone else had the same problem but now I can't find it. Can I just use whatever I can find to get them loose (breaker bar?) or will I mess up something inside? Does it run counter clockwise to loosen?

I have the Aventon Level and I just bought a Fomtor 900 stem. I haven't tried to install it yet because I can't get the screws loose to set the angle on the Fomtor. I've seen some place else on this forum where someone else had the same problem but now I can't find it. Can I just use whatever I can find to get them loose (breaker bar?) or will I mess up something inside? Does it run counter clockwise to loosen?
After reading some bad Fomtor reviews on Amazon I chose to spend a little more and get the Ritchie stem instead. It's a quality piece of kit and more secure, with interlocking cog wheels instead of just friction to hold the angle. Worth the extra $35 in my opinion.

Hold the stem so the teeth are facing you. Loosen the screw on your left side 1 1/2 turns. Now loosen the screw facing you (above the teeth). This screw holds a small plate, which engages the teeth to lock the stem. You may have to gently lift the plate off a tooth the first time, once you loosen the screw.

Adjust the angle as desired, tighten the screw above the teeth first. Then tighten the screw on the left side. I believe this is the same stem that Level uses on the 500, although they may have used a different size.

Note that you have to install it before you can set the angle, as it needs to be at about 10 deg to be able to install it (screw on top). This is a solid unit, and the adjustment is mechanically secured, not a friction hold.

After reading some bad Fomtor reviews on Amazon I chose to spend a little more and get the Ritchie stem instead. It's a quality piece of kit and more secure, with interlocking cog wheels instead of just friction to hold the angle. Worth the extra $35 in my opinion.
The Fomtor angle is mechanically fastened, not a friction fit. It also screws into the fork head as well as clamping it. The Ritchie only clamps. Fomtor is what Aventon uses on their Pace 500 model.

The Fomtor angle is mechanically fastened, not a friction fit. It also screws into the fork head as well as clamping it. The Ritchie only clamps. Fomtor is what Aventon uses on their Pace 500 model.

Hold the stem so the teeth are facing you. Loosen the screw on your left side 1 1/2 turns. Now loosen the screw facing you (above the teeth). This screw holds a small plate, which engages the teeth to lock the stem. You may have to gently lift the plate off a tooth the first time, once you loosen the screw.

Adjust the angle as desired, tighten the screw above the teeth first. Then tighten the screw on the left side. I believe this is the same stem that Level uses on the 500, although they may have used a different size.

Note that you have to install it before you can set the angle, as it needs to be at about 10 deg to be able to install it (screw on top). This is a solid unit, and the adjustment is mechanically secured, not a friction hold.
First, has anyone else had problems with not being able to move the pivot screws? The Amazon site has 3 replies where others could not get it to move and apparently finally just sent it back. If others have had the same problem, how did you finally get the screw loose? The screw by the big arrow is the one that will not move. Second, assuming I can get it broke loose, or the stem replaced, if you would please verify my sequence for adjustment per your instructions above. Loosen screw B. Unscrew screw A 1 1/2 turns. Adjust the angle as desired. Tighten screw A. Then tighten screw B. There was no mention of the screw on the opposite side of screw B so I'm assuming it is not moved during this process.
I'm 80 years old. I have the Aventon Level and my wife has the Aventon 500. We love these bikes!! We have about 200 miles on them now. We both have the biggest seats we could find (Walmart) and would not give them up. We bought our bikes at Erik's Bike store in Minneapolis and they like to call it a "Tractor seat". I've replaced the handlebar grips with a much more comfortable set. Now with the new seat and handlegrips we can do 20 miles a day no problem.
Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Fomtor stem.JPG
    Fomtor stem.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 176
First, has anyone else had problems with not being able to move the pivot screws? The Amazon site has 3 replies where others could not get it to move and apparently finally just sent it back. If others have had the same problem, how did you finally get the screw loose? The screw by the big arrow is the one that will not move. Second, assuming I can get it broke loose, or the stem replaced, if you would please verify my sequence for adjustment per your instructions above. Loosen screw B. Unscrew screw A 1 1/2 turns. Adjust the angle as desired. Tighten screw A. Then tighten screw B. There was no mention of the screw on the opposite side of screw B so I'm assuming it is not moved during this process.
I'm 80 years old. I have the Aventon Level and my wife has the Aventon 500. We love these bikes!! We have about 200 miles on them now. We both have the biggest seats we could find (Walmart) and would not give them up. We bought our bikes at Erik's Bike store in Minneapolis and they like to call it a "Tractor seat". I've replaced the handlebar grips with a much more comfortable set. Now with the new seat and handlegrips we can do 20 miles a day no problem.
Thanks for the help.

Try this sequence:
1618315843901.png

Thanks for the help.
The "B" screw goes into the female screw (call it "B2") on the opposite side. B2 will never move until the B screw is loosened, so don't try (Unless they assembled it backwards - then B won't move until B2 is loosened). There is no reason to move B2 except when installing the stem on the bike. There is a rubber cap where you have your arrow drawn. This needs to be removed to install the stem. You may have to adjust the alignment of B2 to get your tool through B2 down to the bolt that attaches the stem to the bike. Make sure to replace the rubber cap afterward. Josgood, thanks for the pics.

The "B" screw goes into the female screw (call it "B2") on the opposite side. B2 will never move until the B screw is loosened, so don't try (Unless they assembled it backwards - then B won't move until B2 is loosened). There is no reason to move B2 except when installing the stem on the bike. There is a rubber cap where you have your arrow drawn. This needs to be removed to install the stem. You may have to adjust the alignment of B2 to get your tool through B2 down to the bolt that attaches the stem to the bike. Make sure to replace the rubber cap afterward. Josgood, thanks for the pics.
It looks like all I have to do now is get that screw to loosen up. The rest should be relatively easy. Thanks for the help and the pics

I had to ‘persuade’ my Fomtor to get the screws to back out. I don’t think I’d have been able to get it with a tiny Allen key.

The best way is to have an Allen key in both sides and turn counter clockwise. G_Money is right in that the little combo tool Allen keys may not be beefy enough for the first time.

I had to ‘persuade’ my Fomtor to get the screws to back out. I don’t think I’d have been able to get it with a tiny Allen key.

The best way is to have an Allen key in both sides and turn counter clockwise. G_Money is right in that the little combo tool Allen keys may not be beefy enough for the first time.
I just finished getting the thing loose. I wrapped the stem in a thick towel to protect the finish and clamped it in a vice. Then I used an allen wrench with a long box end wrench used as a breaker bar and it came loose without much problem. Now I should be able to install it without much of a problem.
Thank you all for your help....very much appreciated!

I just finished getting the thing loose. I wrapped the stem in a thick towel to protect the finish and clamped it in a vice. Then I used an allen wrench with a long box end wrench used as a breaker bar and it came loose without much problem. Now I should be able to install it without much of a problem.
Thank you all for your help....very much appreciated!
All done! The installation took about 15 minutes. I have it set to ~60 degrees.

Back