Took Delivery of Aventon Level Today

Fantastic, looking forward to any feedback! enjoy!

Took the bike out today to the same spot and tried to duplicate the issue but it worked fine. I tried at different speeds, different PAS Level but could not duplicate the issue.

Fantastic, looking forward to any feedback! enjoy!
I had the same loss of power today as described in my two earlier posts. The error code was Code 21 -"Current Error, Current Limit Exceeded, or Damaged Cable." In my previous examples I was exiting a paved bike path and hitting a grassy incline at speed under PAS and I lost power for a second or two and the error code cleared within 1-2 seconds. This time I was on a paved trail under PAS-3 and pedaling when I hit a drainage cut in the paved trail that was about 9" wide, 4 " deep. When I hit the cut my rear wheel thumped really really hard. I lost power assist and continued to pedal for about 5 seconds while the error code continued to flash, and the power did not come back on. I stopped pedaling for two seconds, then started to pedal again. The error code disappeared and the power came back as I started pedaling. All systems back to normal. Could be a loose connection that only shows up under a severe bump. The main condition that seems to precede the loss of power is a major jolt/thump to the rear wheel. I'll send a note to Aventon and check my connections. Other than that, all systems running smoothly. I love my Aventon Level

Error code 21 is a speed sensor power fault between the controller and the battery

Error codes explained

I think most are universal codes
It should be noted that Error code 24 (not listed above) is a fault between the battery and the motor.
Thanks MMC - From the Aventon Level Owner's Manual
Error21.JPG

Error code 21 is a speed sensor power fault between the controller and the battery

Error codes explained

It should be noted that Error code 24 (not listed above) is a fault between the battery and the motor.
Thank you Tom! I read some reviews recently on reddit that it seems folks were advising buying them locally from bikes shops vs directly from Aventon due to electric gremlins.. and I wonder if this falls in that realm. I couldnt find a shop locally here in DC though so I did have mine shipped. MMC, do you have an idea how easy it would be to correct the issue Tom is seeing?

My answer to that would be no.
From what Tom describes it's definitely intermittent and I doubt it that it's a heat issue.
Sounds more like a controller fault but don't quite know where it would be.

When I was shopping for my ebike I was at first very interested in the Ride1Up LMT'D.
But after watching a few YouTube videos I saw that it had some controller issues where upgraded software and a new controller were needed.
Both of these ebikes are kinda similar so hope the Level does not act up like how the LMT'D has.
Definitely intermittent. The code clears, and the pedal assist comes back on as soon as you stop pedaling. That’s a good thing, I think. It appears to reset rather quickly. I will travel that same route again this weekend and see if I can duplicate the error code. It does not appear to be a significant issue for me, I am just more curious now as to why it happens.

Tom, any idea how to deal with potential flats? Do these bikes have Inner tubes like any other or tubeless and will need to be patched or a whole new tire?

Good morning everyone I have actively been looking at ebikes daily for the past eight to 10 months and I had just discovered aventon yesterday afternoon while floating through the internet.
I've been looking at bikes with integrated battery in down tube only ,also specific components Etc. all the bikes that I have been looking at are in the $ 3 to $5,000 range.
yesterday I discovered this bike and although it does not have medium to Top Notch components, it does have very reliable, quality components and a darn good-looking bike.
My question is to anyone that has a Aventon level. can this be a real bike, a decent all-around bike that it very much appears to be to me , at $ 1600.
If this bike is any things similar to a decent bike then my search is over and I just saved a lot of money and also can be obtained Within two to three weeks whereas my other contenders 3 to the 5 months wait..
somebody please tell me it's not a piece of crap

Pro Street - I have 385 miles on my Aventon Level. You are right, it does look good and I get a lot of compliments. If you are looking for a "decent all-around bike" I believe you will find that in the Level. The bike is well made. I have been riding the bike hard, putting it through its paces, paved trails, roads, grass fields and hills, and a few wooded dirt trails. I cannot find anything wrong with the bike so far. One small issue that I have mentioned in previous posts regarding momentary loss of power but I do not see that as a chronic problem. I contacted Aventon and an Aventon Tech reached out to me and offered assistance and is keeping in touch should I need further help. I have two Levels and they both are performing beyond my expectations. I am very pleased with the bikes design, ride, performance, more than ample power, and the manufacturer is supportive. I rode in the rain yesterday, wiped the bike down, no problems. Took my bike out this morning for a 20 mile ride, I ride about 10 miles per day, and each time I return home I feel vindicated by my choice of bike.

If you are looking for a nice cruising bike, the Level is perfect. If you are looking to ride aggressively and have a thrilling time on the paved bike trails, the Level has plenty of power and is a blast to manhandle.

After listing to a David Lee Roth podcast this spring, wherein the aging rocker extolled the virtue of ebikes, I began to explore the numerous options available in the market including conversion kits. I too was unsure of what to purchase, since I had never ridden the Aventon Level or seen any Aventon products I was hesitant. My wife and I rented the GenZe e-bike in Monterey CA this summer and that is when I decided to get an Ebike for sure. I did a lot of research on E-bikes in the $1,000 - $2,000 price range. I am really pleased with my choice of the Aventon Level. So is my wife, and so are my adult children. My adult children ask me to take them bike riding all the time.

From my limited experience with the Level, I judge it is "not a piece of crap".

Last edited:
Pro Street - I have 385 miles on my Aventon Level. You are right, it does look good and I get a lot of compliments. If you are looking for a "decent all-around bike" I believe you will find that in the Level. The bike is well made. I have been riding the bike hard, putting it through its paces, paved trails, roads, grass fields and hills, and a few wooded dirt trails. I cannot find anything wrong with the bike so far. One small issue that I have mentioned in previous posts regarding momentary loss of power but I do not see that as a chronic problem. I contacted Aventon and an Aventon Tech reached out to me and offered assistance and is keeping in touch should I need further help. I have two Levels and they both are performing beyond my expectations. I am very pleased with the bikes design, ride, performance, more than ample power, and the manufacturer is supportive. I rode in the rain yesterday, wiped the bike down, no problems. Took my bike out this morning for a 20 mile ride, I ride about 10 miles per day, and each time I return home I feel vindicated by my choice of bike.

If you are looking for a nice cruising bike, the Level is perfect. If you are looking to ride aggressively and have a thrilling time on the paved bike trails, the Level has plenty of power and is a blast to manhandle.

After listing to a David Lee Roth podcast this spring, wherein the aging rocker extolled the virtue of ebikes, I began to explore the numerous options available in the market including conversion kits. I too was unsure of what to purchase, since I had never ridden the Aventon Level or seen any Aventon products I was hesitant. My wife and I rented the GenZe e-bike in Monterey CA this summer and that is when I decided to get an Ebike for sure. I did a lot of research on E-bikes in the $1,000 - $2,000 price range. I am really pleased with my choice of the Aventon Level. So is my wife, and so are my adult children. My adult children ask me to take them bike riding all the time.

good afternoon Tom I am very pleased with your response and also very much entertained as well. It was like I was sitting in a nice comfortable chair reading something out of a good positive book, just put a smile on my face and I got a good laugh ,A positive laugh. and I think Van Halen was never the same when David Lee Roth left, just my opinion.
So that's great news because it ends my search and also puts me in a much more comfortable price point.
I had narrowed my search down to Frey CC or EX or ,Sonders elite , . Out of about 50 to 75 other companies. I didn't think that I could grab a bike of any quality under $ 2,000 ,so I never looked. Wow was I wrong.
appreciate the info Tom. I'll feel a lot better spending half the money and still getting a quality bike that happens to have a lot of curb appeal.
I'll keep you posted

Hey Pro street. Bought one for my son in the spring. It has about 300 miles on it. Great bike, no problems yet.
thanks a bunch Billy Kidd.
I'm sure your son's enjoying, we've had a pretty good summer, well I'm from Rhode Island. it's been a good year for cycling.
I appreciate the words and it has actually help me in this long journey which I have thoroughly enjoyed but thank God I'm done.

@Pro street

Actually, there are a few other Internet to Consumer bike brands with an integrated battery for less than $1600. The big benefit for Aventon is if you have an LBS that carries them you will get local support.

The one caveat about Aventon, is for safety, you cannot throttle from stop, you have to pedal a bit before you can use throttle.

As for what are the other brands, there are several, Ride1Up has 3 "stealthy" models... Espin (not as well known) has 2 and there are some other brands.

Hey Pro Street, I was in your same boat a month ago. I wanted an ebike but wanted one with an integrated battery mainly because I wanted a bike that, well, looked like a bike.
There's not many in this price range that have integrated batteries. The Ride1UP LMT'D is a direct competitor but through my research it seemed to be plagued with controller and software problems. Check YouTube and the Ride1UP forum.
The nice thing about bikes in general is almost every part on the bike can be upgraded. With that said, pick a bike that has the most appealing frame to you.
One look at the welds on the Level and you will say wow. Bike frames that are double this price won't have welds as smooth as this.

Can this be a real bike? of course it can. The PAS is optional. It's optional on every ebike no matter if it's a hub motor or mid-drive motor.
You can certainly ride it without any assistance whatsoever. In fact my main ride behaviour is to leave it on PAS 1 or 2 and pedal and grind through my route. The 1/2 setting helps get the 60+ pound bike going from red light stops, then I pedal through the rest.

When I was initially doing my research it seemed a lot of people kept going into that hub vs mid-drive competition argument.
I highly suggest to try avoid that as both motors are capable. It really depends on your purpose for the bike.
You may even run into some that say there's a rider disconnect with hub motors. Sure, for those who wish to use the bike as-like a moped. But I like to believe people in general still want to pedal their machines versus riding them.

I've babbled on way to long but that's just a little bit of my own insights to how I chose the Level.
I'm in the process of upgrading a few things already on it.(stay tuned) Mainly to mimic the riding position of my other mountain bike and road bike.
how are you doing MMC. Oh yes, integrated battery is a must. Period. I believe style-wise they just blend so much more and like you said they looked much more realistic in regards to a daily driving bicycle. I never even heard of Aventon or Ride1up until yesterday because I never looked at anything at that price point I thought that you could never buy a quality bike for under $2k. I was wrong. so I originally started looking at HUB Drive first ,about just under a year ago then decided to go to Mid Drive between $ 3-5k. those thoughts are gone for now. back to Hub Drive and a more reasonable level of affordability during this trying year . hopefully I'll have mine by middle November.
Keep me posted I'll do the same especially on upgrades.
everyone enjoy your evening and be safe

@Pro street

Actually, there are a few other Internet to Consumer bike brands with an integrated battery for less than $1600. The big benefit for Aventon is if you have an LBS that carries them you will get local support.

The one caveat about Aventon, is for safety, you cannot throttle from stop, you have to pedal a bit before you can use throttle.

As for what are the other brands, there are several, Ride1Up has 3 "stealthy" models... Espin (not as well known) has 2 and there are some other brands.
How you doing BigNerd got your response. you know I never even heard of that company esprin and I looked at the bike on their website and that's a nice bike for a real short money. I'll do some more research on it tomorrow. Thanks for reaching out appreciate it I'll keep you posted

Hey Pro,

Just took delivery of mine today and can provide feedback as well once I get it out on the road. I purchased based on the detailed and colorful perspective left by Tom earlier in the thread. I was apprehensive of the hub motor initially but figured I'd give it a try based on everything I've read that has been basically nothing less than stellar on here and reddit.

Bike took about two weeks to arrive from when I first ordered. First impressions are that the bike is gorgeous and well made. There is heft of course but it feels like a solid machine. It's also super easy to finish putting together.

IMG_20201014_140811.jpg

IMG_20201014_140821.jpg

IMG_20201014_150252.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Pro,

Just took delivery of mine today and can provide feedback as well once I get it out on the road. I purchased based on the detailed and colorful perspective left earlier in the thread. I was apprehensive of the hub motor initially but figured I'd give it a try based on

Hey Pro,

Just took delivery of mine today and can provide feedback as well once I get it out on the road. I purchased based on the detailed and colorful perspective left earlier in the thread. I was apprehensive of the hub motor initially but figured I'd give it a try based on
must have been a happy day man. Just seeing the Box must have been a rush.
and yes the thread definitely got me going, rejuvenating my enthusiasm. thank you all

Back