Thumb Throttle

Joe Good

I broke the stock twist throttle on my 18' RadRover. I'd like to replace it with a thumb throttle. Can anyone recommend a replacement unit that's reliable and reasonably inexpensive?

Tx!

I just ordered the BO7B7... unit. Sure looks like it'll plug & play without issues. It's not the same color as stock, but the male/female plugins appears to be the same?

How many times have I ever been able to replace a broken stock unit, with an upgraded unit that'll enhance performance, for less then $15?

Like never!!!

Many thanks for sharing your wisdom sir...

Last edited:
I just ordered the BO7B7... unit. Sure looks like it'll plug & play without issues. It's not the same color as stock, but the male/female plugins appears to be the same?

How many times have I ever been able to replace a broken stock unit, with an upgraded unit that'll enhance performance, for less then $15?

Like never!!!

Many thanks for sharing your wisdom sir...
I don't have a rad bike but when you say "not the same color" do you mean the actual throttle color (cause I thought both were black) or the color of the connector (which for BO7B7 is yellow)?? I hope it is the first one, cause different color higo connectors have different pinouts (red - 2pins, yellow - 3pins, green - 5pins ) so even though you may have the right male/female, a 3pin connector won't go into a 2pin or 5pin connector. As I said I hope you meant the actual color of the throttle and not the connector.

I was referring to the inside color coded plugin portion of the black cable. Stock is orange, new one is yellow. But I checked the pin layout pic on Amazon. Looks identical, both are 3 pins.

Bike won't mind the color clash as long as it connects properly. For $14, I'll take my chances.

Tx!

Joe, even if the plugs match up, there's a good chance that the wires (hot, ground, and signal) will not jive when plugged in. Be careful!

I did not know that? Thanks for the heads-up.

I would have just plugged them in assuming both ends are copacetic with one another. Now I'll give em a good pokin' with my tester tool first.

Mahalo Bradduh...

I have a mid-motor Bafang setup on one bike and it has that throttle on it that I thought would be plug and play with my new Rad bike, to replace the twist throttle on that. Turns out, both plug ends are the same gender, so I cut one off and took one from the other stock Rad throttle to wire onto it so I could plug it in. But that's when I found out that it's not the same wire sequence! I did get the wiring schematic from RAD, however, if anyone wants it. I have a 2019 Rad Mini. Not sure if it's the same across the lineup. I hate it when companies adopt different standards!!!!

Attachments

• Rad Throttle.png
    Rad Throttle.png
    488.1 KB · Views: 8,775
As the industry evolves, say 10 years from now, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they standardized the color of the wires at least!

But that's when I found out that it's not the same wire sequence! I did get the wiring schematic from RAD, however, if anyone wants it. I have a 2019 Rad Mini. Not sure if it's the same across the lineup.
Yes, but is there a diagram for that Amazon throttle?
If, for example, on Amazon throttle they've crossed Red and Black wire - (that is, if they even have same colors on Amazon throttle) - is there any way to tell this without a diagram for a 3rd party throttle?

Yes, but is there any diagram for that Amazon throttle?
If, for example, on Amazon throttle they've crossed Red and Black wire - (that is, if they even have same colors on Amazon throttle) - there is no way to tell this without a diagram for this particular throttle.
that is the part I was working on when I got distracted by a bunch of other life stuff and this weekend I plan to look at it closely again. I think I know what it is, because I took the wires apart and the unit itself to see which was which. I will post here if I get it working. I should be able to do that this weekend hopefully!

that is the part I was working on when I got distracted by a bunch of other life stuff and this weekend I plan to look at it closely again. I think I know what it is, because I took the wires apart and the unit itself to see which was which. I will post here if I get it working. I should be able to do that this weekend hopefully!
If you have a Volt - Ohmmeter, That will help you isolate which side of the switch is what wire. ?

I have a mid-motor Bafang setup on one bike and it has that throttle on it that I thought would be plug and play with my new Rad bike, to replace the twist throttle on that. Turns out, both plug ends are the same gender, so I cut one off and took one from the other stock Rad throttle to wire onto it so I could plug it in. But that's when I found out that it's not the same wire sequence! I did get the wiring schematic from RAD, however, if anyone wants it. I have a 2019 Rad Mini. Not sure if it's the same across the lineup. I hate it when companies adopt different standards!!!!

I looked at your diagram.
Red - Vcc (4.5V) It's usually set a little lower than 5 volts.
Blk - Ground
White - Throttle output

Seems standard to me. Most generic throttles will use red/black for power/ground, The third wire is usually white, but green is also seen.

Anyway, easy to check with a multimeter.

Last edited:
I looked at your diagram.
Red - Vcc (4.5V) It's usually set a little lower than 5 volts.
Blk - Ground
White - Throttle output

Seems standard to me. Most generic throttles will use red/black for power/ground, The third wire is usually white, but green is also seen.

Anyway, easy to check with a multimeter.
I think this is the part where I stopped, because I was stumped. I do have multi-meter, but how can I test the throttle voltage if it is not plugged into the battery system, because I do not know which way to plug it in... I cannot find the wiring schematic for this part... I do see the colored wires, I will get back to you soon about this. I have this throttle on my other bike and much prefer it to the twist one. I removed my stock shifter from the Rad because it is somewhat dangerous to use and replaced it with grip shift on one bike and rapid shift on another. I would rather have the thumb throttle on the left side to match my other bike, anyhow...

I do have multi-meter, but how can I test the throttle voltage if it is not plugged into the battery system, because I do not know which way to plug it in...
Multimeter won't measure any volts when there isn't any.
Ground wire should read continuity to the frame, so you can identify it without powering the battery.

You sure can put thumb throttle on the left side, if you installed a grip-shifter. Order from Grin, they have thumb throttles that can be installed on either left or right. They should be able to tell the wiring layout, too. Canadian brick and mortar company, you can give them a call and ask to email throttle wiring diagram.

Anecdotally, - I haven't heard of signal wire being any other color but red. Ground can be black, green or blue.

Last edited:
Ground wire should read continuity to the frame, so you can identify it without powering the battery.

You sure can put thumb throttle on the left side, if you installed a grip-shifter. Order from Grin, they have thumb throttles that can be installed on either left or right. They should be able to tell the wiring layout, too. Canadian brick and mortar company, you can give them a call and ask to email throttle wiring diagram.

Anecdotally, - I haven't heard of signal wire being any other color but red. Ground can be black, green or blue.

The wires on this one, which looks identical to the one at Grin (https://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/throttles/t-lever.html#) has blue, black and red wires. Grin has a diagram on their page, but they just show the plug ends with what they are electrically. so if signal is red and I have red, blue and black wires in this throttle, what then...? I put a test probe on the metal band inside that grabs onto the handle bar (figuring it would be connected to ground) and none of the wires show connectivity! all three wires dive into the housing. I took the unit apart even more, thinking I'd for sure see what is going on inside and all three wires terminate in a sealed plastic box, which is right next to the rotating ring with the metal piece, but none touch it (just proximity conductor) and I cannot see which any of the three wires end up doing. I have am stumped and have attached a photo and would love your input if you have it. would love to figure this out so I can tell others! thanks much for your time, I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• 20190411_131840.jpg
    20190411_131840.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 3,806

A Multimeter can Still help by checking the wires while activating the throttle, this determines if the switch is Open or Closed when the throttle is used, then Compare the switch with another throttle. ?

Back