Thudbuster Suspension Seat Post

Dave

Can anyone comment on the real world difference between the LT ( long through ) and ST ( short through ) versions of the Thudbuster? Court, I believe you had one on the City Commuter, wondering which one it might have been? I read the description of both versions on their website, but was hoping for some actual field reports. I think it will be the first accessory I add to a new Ebike.

PracticalCycle.come told me that the Thudbuster is $195.00! I had planned to get one until I found that out. With the outlay on my City Commuter (which is en route to me as I write this!!), I'm gonna have to reap some of those fuel cost savings before I can spend that kind of cash on something to make my tuckus happier...

I'm also thinking of buying one, but like Dave I'm wondering what the difference is between the ST and LT in real terms.

FitzChivairy you think that you have it bad cost wise. They cost in the region of $270.00 over here in the UK.

As usual I have managed to source a company in Germany selling them for half of that amount. It really bugs me that it is consistently cheaper to buy outside of the UK.

Tools is another crazy example. I'm an oak framer by trade, and where do I buy my tools.. From America.

Sadly for me Dave, by the time taxes are added, the cost would probably be more expensive than buying in Germany. I've found an LT at reasonable price at a German discount store, and have now ordered one up.
I must admit though that it hurt buying it, but judging by the reviews I shouldn't regret it.

Eddie, good for you. Glad you found one at a good price. I intend to get one as soon as I decide on an Ebike. I need all the comfort I can get, and I think the saddle/seatpost is one of the first places to start.

Hey guys! I've only ever used the LT (long through or long travel) Thudbuster but I really liked it. The obvious difference is travel range and it seems like the LT is setup for mountain biking and other abrasive riding conditions while the ST is more for road biking. Both versions include rubber inserts that change the stiffness and both versions come in multiple tube diameters to fit different frame sizes.

I've attached screenshots from the official Thudbuster website below for reference on the two. Sorry to hear about the higher prices in Europe EddieJ, I know that shipping also kind of spoils ordering from overseas. The irony is that most of these components are made from metals mined or scrapped in North America which are then shipped to China where they are machined and then shipped back to America before finally being shipped to Europe for you.

thudbuster-lt-long-through.jpg

thudbuster-st-short-through.jpg

thudbuster-folding-bike.png

I noticed that Thudbusters are also now available in much longer sizes for folding bikes! This is awesome because most folders don't have suspension. This is part of the reason I liked the E-Joe Epik SE so much... in any case, be sure to get something like the Liplok from Salsa that helps to secure the seat post more tightly so it doesn't slide down as you bump up and down. That happened all the time with my City Commuter (like daily) no matter how hard I tried to tighten the quick release lever. The Lip lock fixed that :)

salsa-lip-lock-seat-post-lock.jpg

Just shot a video using the Thudbuster and am adding it below. I tried to get an angle that shows the suspension moving up and down as I rode over uneven terrain. Note that I'm using the Thudbuster ST.

Last edited:
And here we have it, one Thudbuster LT. :)

Other than just sitting on the bike I haven't tried it out yet. The roads and weather conditions are too treacherous here at the moment for me to want to risk going out on the bike. I'll write a short review over the next coming month, once I've being able to try it properly.

But in the mean time I have to say that it is superb quality, very easy to fit and just sitting on the bike without going anywhere, I can already see that it's going to work. As I had suspected, it didn't come with the cover that it comes with when ordering direct.

thudbuster-lt-easy-motion-neo-xtrem.jpg

thudbuster-suspension-seat-post-ebike.jpg

Great addition to the bike, Eddie.
Rockshox Reba, Crank brothers, thudbuster to this ebike makes it a total badass.

And here we have it, one Thudbuster LT. :)

Other than just sitting on the bike I haven't tried it out yet. The roads and weather conditions are too treacherous here at the moment for me to want to risk going out on the bike. I'll write a short review over the next coming month, once I've being able to try it properly.
But in the mean time I have to say that it is superb quality, very easy to fit and just sitting on the bike without going anywhere, I can already see that it's going to work.
As I had suspected, it didn't come with the cover that it comes with when ordering direct.

(Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists)

(Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists)

Hey EddieJ,

What cover is it missing? Did you pick it up 2nd hand?

Great pictures Eddie! Thanks for sharing. I did a quick search for the Thudbuster neoprene seat post cover and found this image for you James:

cane-creek-thudbuster-cover.jpg

It's called the Thudglove Neoprene Suspension Cover and it retails for $18 when you buy a seatpost from their website. Official description follows, the interesting thing is that Eddie is hardcore and does like to ride in the muddy, wet nasty stuff:

So, you're pretty hardcore and like to ride in all the nasty stuff? Cane Creek Cycling Components has the answer: the Thudglove. This handy cover will keep the mud, water, slush, and snow from invading your pivots by covering the suspension mechanism and protecting your investment.

Hi guys! I had the chance to shoot some video of two Thudbusters yesterday when visiting a shop. It's just a basic overview, no actual ride footage unfortunately (maybe at some point) but wanted to share it along with some new pictures:

cane-creek-thudbusters.jpg saddle-rails-on-cane-creek-thudbuster.jpg inside-of-a-thudbuster.jpg short-travel-thudbuster-seat-post.jpg long-travel-thudbuster-lt.jpg

My wife and I have LTs, w/covers since we are long distance paved rails to trails riders, the softer the better was my thought so the LT version. It is worth every penny and more. I have had 2 issues w/ours, makes her seating position too high but just a small amount in her case but do some measuring 1st... adds 3-4 inches???, make sure you have space. The other was a busted rubbed bar resistance(elatisomers) blue cylinders in the above picture in the middle, had a spare so it was ok. They also require actual maintenance replacing the rubber pieces and involving a rebuild kit, for all moving points on the device. I have not done the rebuild kit but I have replaced the elastisomers (sp) and probably past due for the kit. Still thinking about the Cirrus Float but haven't heard enough about it

Mark

Thanks for the feedback about maintenance and measurement Mark. I haven't owned one of these long enough to run into any issues (and I actually sold mine with my last ebike). I'm also excited about the Cirrus Float and am hoping to do a review with James at some point :)

Please hate it and save me $400 lol! My biggest issue w/comfort is my rear end getting sore. I would try anything to improve it

Mark

Please hate it and save me $400 lol! My biggest issue w/comfort is my rear end getting sore. I would try anything to improve it

Mark
Ha! Yeah... that's the downside with interesting, useful new stuff. It tends to cost a bit ;)

I've been reading about the Thudbusters, and I have a couple of questions.

1) How do I determine the diameter to use for a given bike? I don't see seat tube dimensions listed in the manual for any bike I'm researching... is it listed on the bike itself?

2) In the FAQ on their website, it seems like there are different Elastomers to use for different weight riders. But I don't see an option to purchase said Elastomers for the LT anywhere on the site. Did anyone else run into this issue?

I've been reading about the Thudbusters, and I have a couple of questions.

1) How do I determine the diameter to use for a given bike? I don't see seat tube dimensions listed in the manual for any bike I'm researching... is it listed on the bike itself?

2) In the FAQ on their website, it seems like there are different Elastomers to use for different weight riders. But I don't see an option to purchase said Elastomers for the LT anywhere on the site. Did anyone else run into this issue?

Most of them come only in two sizes i.e., 27.2 OD and 30.9 OD.
I know my Neo Jumper 650B has 30.9 dia.

Back