Thrown back into indecision!

PatriciaK

Region
USA
City
Pacific Northwest and Piedmont Triad
I had myself all talked into biting the bullet for the Giant La Free E+1 ($2399), But now my LBS has the E+2 listed for $300 off their list of $1999 - $1699! Now I'm waffling again! I can get a heck of a lot of additional gear with the added discount if I just go with the chain instead of the belt drive! What to do? What to do???

Last edited:
I had myself all talked into biting the bullet for the Giant La Free E+1 ($2399), But now my LBS has the E+2 listed for $300 off their list of $1999 - $1699! Now I'm waffling again! I can get a heck of a lot of additional gear with the added discount if I just go with the chain instead of the belt drive! What to do? What to do???
Hi Patricia.....have been following your posts. I see the draw to the belt drive, but is a GREAT price for the +2. Getting accessories is so fun and personalizes your bike. I almost got the +1 but couldn’t get a discount. When I test rode both at the LBS, I spoke with their mechanic and he was very realistic and fair with comparisons of both. While he liked the concept of the belt, he said the only drawbacks were if it gets very dirty or muddy, it can cause issues and are expensive to replace.
He said derailleurs are easy to adjust and as far as the chains go, said they are upgraded and very strong, and you should not have an issue with breakage unless frequently pulling huge hills and not being in a lower gear. He mentioned more powerful mid drives and mountain bikes would have more chain issues.
Let us know what you decide. $700.00 is a huge difference, at least to me.

If you prefer E+1, The FULL retail price of it spread over 5 years of ownership equals $1.33 a day.........................
You are probably spending more then that on Vitamins.
You need to start enjoying a nice new bike, and don't let the fear of Buyers Remorse rob you of pleasure in life ☺.

Craig 😎

I don't know about chains vs belts because every bike I've ever owned and almost every bike I've ever seen has had a chain. Point being, you can't go too wrong going with a chain.

TT

AND, I have to decide before end of day tomorrow, when the special deal expires 😱! It's a black Friday - cyber Monday dilemma...

I'll call the shop tomorrow to talk it over.

You can second guess yourself until the the earth stops spinning on its axis.
You’ll drive yourself crazy!
And every new bike needs accessories. That’s what makes it unique to you.

Photo of your new ebike would be great. Congrats!!

Doesn't apply directly but Court in his Ask Court Anything responded to a question saying he prefers sprockets and derailleurs .

https://electricbikereview.com/foru...lectric-bike-or-at-least-your-favorite.30952/

Court my current favorite bike would also be a R+M Delite, but I am wondering which type of gear changer to select. Which would you get on your Delite?
Great question... I'd go with standard cassette and derailleur. It's tight and fast, I know how to ride and shift appropriately (especially with Bosch motor) so I won't mess it up. The electronically shifted Rholoff is neat, but heavy and expensive, it also doesn't feel like I'm "painting" with my body while shifting, more like shifting into a clunking gear on a car... I like the feathery feel of trigger shifters, where I can apply just a bit of pressure and feel my way into the next gear. I find the grip shifters to be difficult to twist sometimes, especially on the NuVinci / Enviolo continuously variable transmission... which is also heavy and expensive. If price was no object, I'd still get sprockets and derailleur unless I was in a really rugged environment and wanted to remove some of the vulnerability of a derailleur hanging down. I also feel like these CVT units and belt drives add drag and remove efficiency. They add some durability and reduce noise and mess, but for me, I keep my bikes clean and like a race feel, like the bike is an extension of my body more than a vehicle :D

AND, I have to decide before end of day tomorrow, when the special deal expires 😱! It's a black Friday - cyber Monday dilemma...

I'll call the shop tomorrow to talk it over.

You can debate cost and components and so many other factors and sometimes not come to a clear conclusion. At times, you just need to go with your gut and do what gives you the most peace. Let us know what you decide!

Pat, if the complexity of a chain/derailleur scares you, millions of bikes are produced every year with them, and the high school kid in the back of the bike shop can easily adjust them even if it is an ebike.

If it's a question of wearing white pants and riding a bike, well a belt might be nicer. A belt on the wheel anyway..

What does the $2399 bike do that the $1699 doesn’t?

I ride by people who bought bikes that cost double what mine cost every day. What more did they get for their money? Most often I come up with the answer ‘nothing’.
It doesn't do anything more - it just has the belt drive, which is supposed to be quieter (though I was not bothered by any noise when I rode the +2), last longer than chain and be maintenance-free, and integrated lights (which I'm thinking will be another drain in the battery). People who love belt drives have me a bit spooked about chain maintenance and replacement 😟. That said, I'm probably going to go for the deal - I loved the bike when I rode it. The dealer even sent it over to the hilly town I live in for an extended test ride in the local area a few months ago... I'm figuring it's time to stop overthinking and start riding!

Giant E+2 is a yamaha 250 W mid drive. You may have chain stretch every 1000 to 1500 miles. that is 6 months for me, but if you're not a dedicated commuter that distance may be years. In addition, when a Gates belt breaks, you might not be able to find another one in 15 year or whatever. Rubber bicycle belts are a niche product, and the exact length & width for your bike may not long be available. Rubber deteriorates based on time, not so much miles. Any belts produced now for the E+1 and put on the shelf would also be 15 years old. You'll be able to find a replacement chain for 50 years or more. Steel when kept dry doesn't have an expiration date.

Last edited:
Giant E+2 is a yamaha 250 W mid drive. You may have chain stretch every 1000 to 1500 miles. that is 6 months for me, but if you're not a dedicated commuter that distance may be years. In addition, when a Gates belt breaks, you might not be able to find another one in 15 year or whatever. Rubber bicycle belts are a niche product, and the exact length & width for your bike may not long be available. Rubber deteriorates based on time, not so much miles. Any belts produced now for the E+1 and put on the shelf would also be 15 years old. You'll be able to find a replacement chain for 50 years or more. Steel when kept dry doesn't have an expiration date.

indianajo quote: "In addition, when a Gates belt breaks, you might not be able to find another one in 15 year or whatever. Rubber bicycle belts are a niche product, and the exact length & width for your bike may not long be available. Rubber deteriorates based on time, not so much miles. Any belts produced now for the E+1 and put on the shelf would also be 15 years old"

Yo .......... indianajo, Don't let the Harley Davidson owners hear you say that

1575305324949.png

Get the E+1. You will be thrilled with the silent belt drive, zero maintenance, and how nicely the bike handles. Mine has spoiled me.

And I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get new belt drives years down the road....if you ever need them. These belts last years and years longer than chains. With the amount of riding and miles I have put on my E+1 - on gravel as well as paved roads - I would have had to clean the chain at least 50 times, and replaced it at least once already. The belt drive still looks brand new and hasn't required a darn thing from me. Not a thing. It doesn't pick up sticks and grit from the road, doesn't dirty your clothing or hands, doesn't catch your loose pants or shoe laces, doesn't leap off when the going gets tough and force you're to sit on the side of the road coaxing the chain back onto the cogs and derailleur.

I love the freedom and zero maintenance of a belt drive, and this was my top key reason for getting the E+1. Oh, and the internal hub, too, which is sweet!
IMG_20190901_Ride.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CSH
I don't see a 2020 E+1 being offered anywhere on Giant's website . Is this model being discontinued ?

It doesn't do anything more - it just has the belt drive, which is supposed to be quieter (though I was not bothered by any noise when I rode the +2), last longer than chain and be maintenance-free, and integrated lights (which I'm thinking will be another drain in the battery). People who love belt drives have me a bit spooked about chain maintenance and replacement 😟. That said, I'm probably going to go for the deal - I loved the bike when I rode it. The dealer even sent it over to the hilly town I live in for an extended test ride in the local area a few months ago... I'm figuring it's time to stop overthinking and start riding!

Join the Chain Gang, and get on with life.
I think if you got the Belt, you would probably blame it later, on something................

Spare yourself long future posts second guessing. Get the old school, tried & true Chain.
It has a loooong history, and that way you'll know EXACTLY what to expect.

Yo .......... indianajo, Don't let the Harley Davidson owners hear you say that
That Harley belt looks exactly like the Gates belts we installed on conveyors in the factory. If the pitch and width are not custom, you should be able to buy one from a Gates dealer for decades. The bike belt is tiny, factories do not use those. Bike belts are a low volume product that hasn't massively caught on. The ones at modernbike.com cost on average ~$80.

Back