Throttle or No Throttle?

I think you should get the features that support your riding style and environment. I really like having a throttle because it does support the way I like to ride:
- getting across intersections in a hurry,
- short boost up short inclines to maintain my speed,
- helps me get going if I need to start riding on an incline
- use the throttle for max speed if I need to make a green light
- use throttle for turns or over/between obstacles where my pedals might hit
- assist in getting up to cruising speed a lot faster when work commuting
- really use the throttle for less shifting during winter because I have heavy gloves and Bar Mitts on. Pretty much can stay in top gear my entire work commute with minimal drop in travel time

I also had a few emergency situations where the throttle came in handy:
- left pedal crank fell off the first week I purchased my Radrover (recovered the crank; but, lost the crank bolt). Use the throttle to ride the 3 miles back home
- wrecked on my bike trail riding and broke 3 bolts in half on my handlebar stem and banged by body up pretty good. Able to get back on the road just using the throttle to ride the 4 miles back home. Would have been too painful to PAS pedal and awkward with the floppy handlebar.
- store/charge my ebike in the unused office space next to my office on the 2nd floor. Elevator was out; but, I used my throttle to walk my 70lbs ebike up the stairs with ease
- used the throttle when I had to walk my bike up steep inclines or over obstacles I couldn't ride over
- use the throttle when trail riding when I hit really deep sandy areas. Pretty much need full power when the sand starts to get +2" deep
- several times during single track trail riding in the summer I had to sit on the downtube and duck my head down to the handlebar level to make through the trail because of so many low branches and overgrowth. Bumping the throttle came in handy instead of having to walk the bike (6'3" and I sit a little under 7" on Radrover with helmet with Niterider Pro 2200 light on).

I think you see so many different answers to the the questions is because of several things based on the individual ebiker's riding style, ebike type, and environment. Not all throttles are created the same:

- My Radrover has an on/off throttle button and provides up to full 750w/80 Nm tq power at any PAS level (even PAS 0). I can get to my cruising speed of 17-20 mph pretty quick with that much tq while keeping my Radrover in PAS 3 (375 max watts @ PAS 3). I can keep my eyes on the road at all times bumping the throttle since I don't have to glance down to double-check the gears or PAS levels.

- Other ebikes sometimes reduce the throttle power levels in relationship to the current PAS levels. It would way too hard to use my throttle if power was limited to current PAS power levels. Too much button pushing if I had to adjust the PAS level, change gears, and reset PAS level after the intersections/hazards compared to just bumping the full power throttle only.

I would add to the '"throttle -vs- no throttle" debate is how the throttle works with the different ebikes. I wouldn't have much of a need for a throttle if the operation was more complicated or had restricted power levels per PAS compared to the Rad Power Bikes set-up.

Last edited:
Why do people act like it is some macho deal to not have a throttle? Look at the Class II regs being implemented in some states. There is 0 difference in up to 20mph bikes concerning access. And for sure using the throttle doesn’t add any extra watts, in fact it is less efficient unless used in conjunction with a PAS.

IMNSHO it is the EU pedelec law that the manufacturers have followed from the start that state no throttle’s that has helped to push PAS to the level it is today. Which is a good thing. But here in the US our Fed and state regs, outside of the Class states currently, make no provisions for throttles. Yet the manufacturers don’t want to muddy their waters but some offer “walk” buttons.

Kits have and probably always will have access to throttles as well as some of the lesser brands. A throttle does not preclude a dynamic pedaling experience but it can enhance it.

And Mr. C: "Want to use it like a scooter, get a throttle. Want the experience of a traditional bike, don't get a throttle. If you get a throttle, you may be banned from some multi use paths."

Maybe your quote above is not as much macho as derogatory in nature? As mentioned having a throttle does not preclude a realistic pedaling experience and under Class II law bikes with throttles are allowed anywhere that a Class I is so not banned on some multi use paths as you suggest.

I have no problem at all with those that don't feel the need for a throttle. In fact I feel sorry for them as it is useful and harmless feature that I feel the manufactures are keeping from the e bike efficiency equation.

I also had a few emergency situations where the throttle came in handy:
- left pedal crank fell off the first week I purchased my Radrover (recovered the crank; but, lost the crank bolt). Use the throttle to ride the 3 miles back home
- wrecked on my bike trail riding and broke 3 bolts in half on my handlebar stem and banged by body up pretty good. Able to get back on the road just using the throttle to ride the 4 miles back home. Would have been too painful to PAS pedal and awkward with the floppy handlebar.
- store/charge my ebike in the unused office space next to my office on the 2nd floor. Elevator was out; but, I used my throttle to walk my 70lbs ebike up the stairs with ease
- used the throttle when I had to walk my bike up steep inclines or over obstacles I couldn't ride over
- use the throttle when trail riding when I hit really deep sandy areas. Pretty much need full power when the sand starts to get +2" deep
- several times during single track trail riding in the summer I had to sit on the downtube and duck my head down to the handlebar level to make through the trail because of so many low branches and overgrowth. Bumping the throttle came in handy instead of having to walk the bike (6'3" and I sit a little under 7" on Radrover with helmet with Niterider Pro 2200 light on).

This is a really good point. I've never had to use the throttle for emergency purposes but it could happen. Thanks for pointing it out.

i think having a throttle is more of a mental crutch. I ride all of last year on my Haibike with Bosch motor, rain or shine, rested or tired. I found that if you’re reasonably fit, just getting on any ebike and smoking car traffic was enough to get me going.

Fast forward to 2018 when I purchased a 2nd ebike, Juiced Bike HF1000. It has a throttle, but I only use it like one or twice in an hour long ride. It is most handy when starting off the line when a traffic light turn green. I wouldn’t let the lack of throttle limit your potential ebike choices.

@hurricane56 That was my worry - "knowing" in the back of my all-too-prone-to-laziness mind, that I could end up leaning on the throttle option too frequently... Making for super enjoyable rides, but defeating my self-set goal of getting (read: forcing) some exercise out of the deal. (hehehe -- if I had great self discipline around exercise to begin with, I wouldn't be in this shape today, I think!) I jumped into my ebike purchase because I need/want to introduce more consistent exercise into my life... gyms just don't work out for me, so I'm looking to biking to fill the gap. But, being a creature of comfort and a couch potato the last 10 years, I knew I'd very likely abandon biking quickly, on say a traditional pedal-only bike. The ebike offered me a path to "ease back into" biking, build up my stamina for it, start extending my trip length, etc., ideally cementing in "relearning to enjoy biking" until it is a routine part of my day/week. All that said (re: @JRA) nobody knowing me would ascribe "macho" to me, and certainly not for going throttle-less. I *LOVED* my throttle ebike experience in California, renting one for a full day trek over the Golden Gate Bridge; I couldn't have biked a tenth of that trip on a normal bike.

@hurricane56 That was my worry - "knowing" in the back of my all-too-prone-to-laziness mind, that I could end up leaning on the throttle option too frequently... Making for super enjoyable rides, but defeating my self-set goal of getting (read: forcing) some exercise out of the deal. (hehehe -- if I had great self discipline around exercise to begin with, I wouldn't be in this shape today, I think!) I jumped into my ebike purchase because I need/want to introduce more consistent exercise into my life... gyms just don't work out for me, so I'm looking to biking to fill the gap. But, being a creature of comfort and a couch potato the last 10 years, I knew I'd very likely abandon biking quickly, on say a traditional pedal-only bike. The ebike offered me a path to "ease back into" biking, build up my stamina for it, start extending my trip length, etc., ideally cementing in "relearning to enjoy biking" until it is a routine part of my day/week. All that said (re: @JRA) nobody knowing me would ascribe "macho" to me, and certainly not for going throttle-less. I *LOVED* my throttle ebike experience in California, renting one for a full day trek over the Golden Gate Bridge; I couldn't have biked a tenth of that trip on a normal bike.
Christob, I'm enjoying hearing your and everyone's journey with ebikes. I feel like I'm on the front end of something only a few of us have discovered so far. Somewhat of an "early" adopter exclusive club of very cool individuals. (I use the quotes, knowing that a bunch reading this have done this for yrs and the technology has been out there for a long time. But seems like it's taking the majority of the US a while to jump on this. Why so slow??) Anyway, prob wont be too long before its not that special anymore. But for this brief moment, I've got the new toy on the block! And btw, a huge thank you to Court for being out-front and promoting and educating many of us late arrivals on all this!

Last edited:
I don't want to start and argument here, but we ride for many reasons. At 68 my legs are not what they use to be and (Coasting) as I now call it, is necessary now and then.
I ride a fourteen mile loop quite often and some days I need a break just turning the pedals gets painful. So I choose to Coast and take a short break. When the cramps come it sure is nice to keep moving and cool down a bit.
As we all know with the cadence settings pedal pressure is not necessary.
Its kind of like having cruise control in a car, don't really need it but sure is nice on a long trip!

Totally agree, @Chocolatehauler about our many reasons. I believe each rider should get the bike with the features they want, or that they find useful and suitable to their needs. I don't believe it is meaningful for anyone to say "all ebike users should always avoid a throttle bike." I made my choice based on my own needs, my own self-awareness of my (history of bad) habits, and my own personal concern over throttle ebikes possibly getting stricter legislation in the future -- but in no way do I think "my choice" is the choice all riders should mimic.

Totally agree, @Chocolatehauler about our many reasons. I believe each rider should get the bike with the features they want, or that they find useful and suitable to their needs. I don't believe it is meaningful for anyone to say "all ebike users should always avoid a throttle bike." I made my choice based on my own needs, my own self-awareness of my (history of bad) habits, and my own personal concern over throttle ebikes possibly getting stricter legislation in the future -- but in no way do I think "my choice" is the choice all riders should mimic.

christob I am hoping in the future they whoever they are will realize that the throttle is not unlike a cruise control. It's just another tool to be used.

Had another thought about these ebikes.
I think bikes have taken a giant leap forward with the advent of the ebike.
Not unlike going from eight track tapes to cd's to thumb drives.
It may take awhile but bikes as we knew them are changing.
By the time this leap in bikes settles out, the single speed coaster brake bikes I grew up with will be in museums.!

Had another thought about these ebikes.
I think bikes have taken a giant leap forward with the advent of the ebike.
Not unlike going from eight track tapes to cd's to thumb drives.
It may take awhile but bikes as we knew them are changing.
By the time this leap in bikes settles out, the single speed coaster brake bikes I grew up with will be in museums.!

The single speed coaster bikes are just getting motors installed lol

I admit I am prejudiced against throttles. It does not help when I see advertisements such as for the Sonders bike where you see the people just riding around and not pedaling. That to me is not cycling. If I wanted to do that, I would get a moped/scooter. I got an e-bike to help me up that loooong grade near my house, that on my regular bicycle...even with a triple crankset...I was struggling to get up. In my younger days that grade would be no problem, but because I "let myself go," it is now it is heart attack hill. I bought an e-bike to get me to ride again and more often, until I hopefully get fit enough to where I can get up that hill on my regular bikes. It is nice riding a very light bike, after all...something an e-bike is definitely not. All that said, I have tried a bike with a throttle (when I installed a Bafang kit for someone.) I can see the appeal...it is fun to hit it and whooosh! I don't want that for myself though...I need to suffer at least a tiny bit or I will feel guilty. LOL.

I admit I am prejudiced against throttles. It does not help when I see advertisements such as for the Sonders bike where you see the people just riding around and not pedaling. That to me is not cycling. If I wanted to do that, I would get a moped/scooter. I got an e-bike to help me up that loooong grade near my house, that on my regular bicycle...even with a triple crankset...I was struggling to get up. In my younger days that grade would be no problem, but because I "let myself go," it is now it is heart attack hill. I bought an e-bike to get me to ride again and more often, until I hopefully get fit enough to where I can get up that hill on my regular bikes. It is nice riding a very light bike, after all...something an e-bike is definitely not. All that said, I have tried a bike with a throttle (when I installed a Bafang kit for someone.) I can see the appeal...it is fun to hit it and whooosh! I don't want that for myself though...I need to suffer at least a tiny bit or I will feel guilty. LOL.
Totally hear you. It’s an interesting discussion for sure. I’m an athletic guy, and just bought my first ebike… with a throttle. Was it the deciding factor? Nope. And I have no intention of using it to “cruise around” on. In fact, I plan to ride with the power OFF as much as possible (which is why I like a bunch of gears) and can’t wait for the effing spring so I can get into some serious distance and exercise. But… the throttle is SO nice to have for the moments identified in this string. So that’s what it is for me… a “nice to have” for moments of need or convenience. Nothing more. So to those without it, you’ll probably never miss it. And those with it… enjoy those bursts of convenience.

Really good explanation from Tora on the advantages of having a throttle in stop start urban riding. For the past 18 months I have been using a bafang BBS01 kit as a pedelec motor without the throttle, but I've experienced issues Tora mentioned a couple of times I've struck my derailleur or my right pedal against a curbstone at low speed passing cars curbside, or found myself in the wrong gear at a stop light facing uphill, so I'm swapping out my derailleur for an IGH so I can shift down when stationary and fitting the throttle so I can coast without pedalling when necessary. I appreciate the versatility of a kit motor that lets me switch over from a Class 1 to a Class 2 by simply adding a throttle, the optional boost button on Raleigh and Izip ebikes does the same thing.

I also find walk assist useful when pushing my heavy ebike up ramps when towing a trailer or up the 3 steps into my backyard. Trek and other manufacturers are wrong not to activate walk assist on Bosch powered ebikes in the US. I know it's not legal in New York state at present to have a throttle but walk assist is capped to like 3mph so this is just stupid corporate BS. On the bright side I'm encouraged the People for Bikes model ebike legislation is being adopted by more and more states that legalizes both Class 1 and 2 riding on bike paths and sidewalks.

Last edited:
Back