Throttle and pedal assist question

Urban Coyote

Region
Canada
City
Burlington
Hi all! I am new here, and am anxiously awaiting my first ebike, the Radrover, which is scheduled to ship in October. My apologies if this has been asked before, but I am a little confused about how the throttle works in relation to the pedal assist. Does the throttle basically override whatever pedal assist level you are using? What happens if you use the throttle and keep pedalling? When you release the throttle, do you go back to whatever pedal assist mode is selected, or back to no pedal assist? Thank you.

There is push button on/off switch near the twist throttle to activate it. The throttle will override and ramp up-to max power as you twist the handle in any PAS level (0-5). The ebike will reduce the power level back down to the previous selected PAS level once you release the throttle. You can keep pedaling to add more "leg" power for faster acceleration. I use full power throttle and max pedaling for short inclines, if I hit a deep sandy spot when trail riding, or if I need to make a light when work commuting.

I sometimes use the throttle to help get me going if I'm stopped going up an incline. I've used the throttle a few times pushing the ebike up very steep inclines (too steep to ride up) and a flight of stairs. I've even used my throttle to get me home twice when:
- my pedal crank bolt fell off during my 5:30am work commute and I could pedal the rover.
- I wiped out during a trail ride and broke 3 out of 4 handlebar stem bolts when I fell on the rover (hurt my shoulder also). I was able to ride the rover the 4 miles back home with the floppy handlebar using the throttle.

I added the 1859 Northwest thumb throttle attachment to my Rad ebikes. I can be a little hard to use the twist throttle when trail riding. Much easier with this attachment to feather the power with your thumb or hand AND still shift/brake as needed.

I believe Rad eliminated the throttle on/off button with the 2020 model year bikes, so it will be “live” all the time (when the bike is powered on).

I also remember a recent post that said you could boost the basic pedal assist level wattage by twisting the throttle a bit (and releasing) while pedaling and it would continue at that level until you stopped pedaling. Say you’re cruising along in PAS 1 at 65 watts. If you goose the throttle increase to 100 watts and continue pedaling, you will remain at 100 watts until you stop pedaling even after releasing the throttle.

I tried that with my 2019 City ST and it worked. It was nice to get a little bit of a boost without going full on to the next higher PAS level.

Also know that increasing the PAS level while pedaling will take effect immediately, whereas going to a lower PAS level you must stop pedaling for a second or so, then resume at the lower wattage for the new PAS level.

Enjoy your new bike when it arrives! - RangerDave

Last edited:
Thanks for the updates!

Not sure getting rid of the on/off throttle button is a good or bad thing? I sometimes hit the on/off button by accident when trail riding. I also inadvertently goose the throttle when moving the ebike around and it almost got away from me.

I believe Rad eliminated the throttle on/off button with the 2020 model year bikes, so it will be “live” all the time (when the bike is powered on).

I also remember a recent post that said you could boost the basic pedal assist level wattage by twisting the throttle a bit (and releasing) while pedaling and it would continue at that level until you stopped pedaling. Say you’re cruising along in PAS 1 at 65 watts. If you goose the throttle increase to 100 watts and continue pedaling, you will remain at 100 watts until you stop pedaling even after releasing the throttle.

I tried that with my 2019 City ST and it worked. It was nice to get a little bit of a boost without going full on to the next higher PAS level.

Also know that increasing the PAS level while pedaling will take effect immediately, whereas going to a lower PAS level you must stop pedaling for a second or so, then resume at the lower wattage for the new PAS level.

Enjoy your new bike when it arrives! - RangerDave
I have to confirm RangerDave’s comments re the on/off switch for the 2020 RadRover 5. I also just received my Rover a week ago & the switch has been opted out.

There is push button on/off switch near the twist throttle to activate it. The throttle will override and ramp up-to max power as you twist the handle in any PAS level (0-5). The ebike will reduce the power level back down to the previous selected PAS level once you release the throttle. You can keep pedaling to add more "leg" power for faster acceleration. I use full power throttle and max pedaling for short inclines, if I hit a deep sandy spot when trail riding, or if I need to make a light when work commuting.

I sometimes use the throttle to help get me going if I'm stopped going up an incline. I've used the throttle a few times pushing the ebike up very steep inclines (too steep to ride up) and a flight of stairs. I've even used my throttle to get me home twice when:
- my pedal crank bolt fell off during my 5:30am work commute and I could pedal the rover.
- I wiped out during a trail ride and broke 3 out of 4 handlebar stem bolts when I fell on the rover (hurt my shoulder also). I was able to ride the rover the 4 miles back home with the floppy handlebar using the throttle.

I added the 1859 Northwest thumb throttle attachment to my Rad ebikes. I can be a little hard to use the twist throttle when trail riding. Much easier with this attachment to feather the power with your thumb or hand AND still shift/brake as needed.

I also bought & added this same thumb throttle on my new RadRover & it works just like a charm.
Hi all! I am new here, and am anxiously awaiting my first ebike, the Radrover, which is scheduled to ship in October. My apologies if this has been asked before, but I am a little confused about how the throttle works in relation to the pedal assist. Does the throttle basically override whatever pedal assist level you are using? What happens if you use the throttle and keep pedalling? When you release the throttle, do you go back to whatever pedal assist mode is selected, or back to no pedal assist? Thank you.
I know exactly how you feel waiting for your e-bike 😁. I waited a little over 5 weeks for mine which finally arrived last Sunday and I’m enjoying every minute riding it. This is also my first e-bike, hope you enjoy yours when you finally get it as I have enjoyed mines. Cheers!

Back