Thoughts?

Yeah, I could do that. But that lets the punks win. I'm 61. I'm trying to replace my car. I fronted the money to get the bike I want. Time isn't my friend. I'm not physically capable of my ride to work without a shower. And showering isn't an option. So I need an e bike. I want it to be comfortable. And if it gets ripped off, it gets ripped off. I will have done my part to register the bike and I cannot imagine anyone thinking a step through bike has sexy resale value. I am not dismissive of your thoughts, Steve. You raise good points. I am in the window of my life where I can, uh, charge ahead or not. I choose to charge.
May your bike wear the cloak of invisibilty to thieves. Just keep pedaling!

Manufacturing a car also has a non-zero carbon footprint. It is hard to imagine that the carbon footprint for manufacturing any e-bike is even a tiny fraction of that for manufacturing the typical IC car.

You don't even have to take my word for it: Ask the Union of Concerned Scientists:

I'll leave the argument that manufacturing an e-bike has a smaller carbon footprint than manufacturing an electric car as an exercise for the reader.

You also might want to check out:

I hope more people read those links.

1578681726109.png

Yeah, I could do that. But that lets the punks win. I'm 61. I'm trying to replace my car. I fronted the money to get the bike I want. Time isn't my friend. I'm not physically capable of my ride to work without a shower. And showering isn't an option. So I need an e bike. I want it to be comfortable. And if it gets ripped off, it gets ripped off. I will have done my part to register the bike and I cannot imagine anyone thinking a step through bike has sexy resale value. I am not dismissive of your thoughts, Steve. You raise good points. I am in the window of my life where I can, uh, charge ahead or not. I choose to charge.
Damn the torpedos! Go for the gusto! There's the attitude! I love it.

Agree with you about letting the punks win. Homeowners insurance covered the loss of my SuperCommuter in full. For me, it was make sure I have good insurance, lock it as best I can without being paranoid, and go on and live my life. And by the way, we have one less car with the ebikes.

Last edited:
Thanks for this thoughtful reply. You caught the vibe exactly right. I am overthinking it. I really want a bike to replace my car for the health, environmental and convenience benefits that come with bipedal locomotion.
I am also in my 60’s with disabilities. I bought an e-bike in February and have ridden it nearly 3000 miles. It’s one of the best decisions I ever made. Don’t wait a year. The only one who will be disappointed is the Grim Reaper.

Yeah exactly then if that bike gets ripped off ...no biggie. I have made so many modifcations to get my bike set up just the way I like it that it would be much more than simply replacing it with a stock bike. I never leave it unattended any longer than it takes to buy a coffee or a take a leak.

Last edited:
My questions are these. 1. Should I wait until the Gen 4 motor is available even if that is a year. Please explain; 2. The bike now comes with the Intuvia display and no options to upgrade. How big a deal is that? I will ask these same questions to the local shop who sold me the bike.

Thanks in advance for your help.
If you are in love with R&M then buy a standard bike and hang a BaFang mid-drive on it. You will have a much better ebike than R&M make. Too many proprietary deadends with production ebikes as you yourself just pointed out. Why buy into something with predetermined limits.

If you are in love with R&M then buy a standard bike and hang a BaFang mid-drive on it. You will have a much better ebike than R&M make. Too many proprietary deadends with production ebikes as you yourself just pointed out. Why buy into something with predetermined limits.

Thanks for your thoughts. I’m not very handy or mechanically inclined so making my own bike is not a good option for me.

Thanks for your thoughts. I’m not very handy or mechanically inclined so making my own bike is not a good option for me.
Get the motor mounted by someone with a torque wrench (it's incredibly easy) and it's no different than a production ebike... except that it can have more power, a larger battery, a throttle, and can be upgraded and/or removed from the frame at any time.

That is so wrong it is almost funny.
So you prefer a proprietary pint-sized motor and battery combo? Or is it the lack of throttle? Not sure if R&M's ebike has one even. It's not wrong... and I have proved that with my Tout-Terrain Panamerican, Rohloff Speed-hub, and BaFang mid-drive combination.

Lightweight, powerful motor. Standard battery, not any DIY one. Throttle makes me laugh, are you paralysed?

And one most important thing: R&Ms are designed from the scratch to be e-bikes, top shelf e-bikes. Sure, you can build a monster truck and boast how good and cheap it is compared to a Mercedes.

Lightweight, powerful motor. Standard battery, not any DIY one. Throttle makes me laugh, are you paralysed?

And one most important thing: R&Ms are designed from the scratch to be e-bikes, top shelf e-bikes. Sure, you can build a monster truck and boast how good and cheap it is compared to a Mercedes.
Lightweight? Hardly.
Powerful motor? To European standards maybe.
Standard battery? Most assuredly.
Throttle? When I choose.

Riese & Muller started making ebike in 1993? Wow, they are special... or at least someone is.

Sour grapes little fella?

Today's ride.

Attachments

• DSCN2187.JPG
    DSCN2187.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 369
  • DSCN2190.JPG
    DSCN2190.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 443
Back