Thoughts?

Thanks for your thoughts. I’m not very handy or mechanically inclined so making my own bike is not a good option for me.
Amazon will usually give you the option to have a Local bike shop put the bike together for you for like $75 to$99,choose wisely and you could put a real nice bike together,BBSHD is a durable,quiet,powerful motor! I love that motor.....my dream bike is still the R&M Load 60!

If the LBS doesn't have the proper sockets to mount the drive don't use them. A hand wrench can't get it torqued down to specs. But he's right about the motor!

Why buy into something with predetermined limits.
You did that and more when you purchased a Tout Terrain Panamericana, if someone steals yours, how do you propose to replace it? Can you buy one of these anywhere?
And apart from yours and R&M Delites, which other bikes have suspended rear racks?

If you are in love with R&M then buy a standard bike and hang a BaFang mid-drive on it. You will have a much better ebike than R&M make. Too many proprietary
Most standard bikes these days have Aluminum frames and are not designed for high torque engines nor 4.5kg+ batteries hanging from them.
I'm guessing the Panamericana you have is a steel frame and sturdier touring frame at that.

[QUOTE="webcurl, post: 242845, member: 19885
You did that and more when you purchased a Tout Terrain Panamericana, if someone steals yours, how do you propose to replace it? Can you buy one of these anywhere?
And apart from yours and R&M Delites, which other bikes have suspended rear racks?
[/QUOTE]
The Panamerican frame lets me ride from light'ish to very heavy with 4 panniers, is fully suspended and designed specifically for those abilities... Riding Large. I've read the logs of two riders that rode to the tip of Argentina on the Panamericana highway with a pair of them. Add the mid-drive, Rohloff, dynamo-hub and she's about dialed in. I've never lived my life being afraid and take what precautions I can to safeguard her. They, "Tout Terrain", have two dealers in America, both have very German attitudes, dealing with either is a pain-in-the-ass, much the same as with Tout Terrain themselves. I'm sure if you walk in a store they are very warm and willing to take your money. When researching my bike TT and R&M were the only two full-suspension tour bikes that I ever found. When I compared the two it was like the Panamerica was the bigger ugly brother to the cute little sister Delite. I've never seen a picture of a Delite wearing front panniers, but they would be pretty looking commuter bike.

Most standard bikes these days have Aluminum frames and are not designed for high torque engines nor 4.5kg+ batteries hanging from them.
I'm guessing the Panamericana you have is a steel frame and sturdier touring frame at that.
Yeah... I think the Delite is too, if not that's another knock against them. You really want a steel frame for touring, especially with a motor.

If you are in love with R&M then buy a standard bike and hang a BaFang mid-drive on it. You will have a much better ebike than R&M make. Too many proprietary deadends with production ebikes as you yourself just pointed out. Why buy into something with predetermined limits.
Also, found this post from you about your Panamericana:

It's not the price so much as the terrible customer service that is the problem. Quality costs and you expect to pay for it. You also expect the manufacturer to back their products 100% and Tout Terrain doesn't do that outside the Home Land very well... or at all. I bought their Panamericana (horrible time-consuming experience) full suspension Expedition tour bike and mounted a real mid-drive. Expensive, reasonably well made, innovative and one of kind features make it a one of kind ride, The silk road series are more suited to the decerning daily commuters.

Panamerica was the bigger ugly brother to the cute little sister Delite. I've never seen a picture of a Delite wearing front panniers, but they would be pretty looking commuter bike.
He started with a Delite with front panniers, which got stolen.

Also, found this post from you about your Panamericana:

It's not the price so much as the terrible customer service that is the problem. Quality costs and you expect to pay for it. You also expect the manufacturer to back their products 100% and Tout Terrain doesn't do that outside the Home Land very well... or at all. I bought their Panamericana (horrible time-consuming experience) full suspension Expedition tour bike and mounted a real mid-drive. Expensive, reasonably well made, innovative and one of kind features make it a one of kind ride, The silk road series are more suited to the decerning daily commuters.
Yup.

The Delite frame is aluminum designed for a motor, yours is steel not designed for a motor...
The Panamerican production ebike is steel too. I wouldn't try to carry the weight I do on an aluminum frame. They both built their suspension touring bikes before the e-versions.

And I believe he used a Nuvinci not a Rohloff.

Last edited:
The Panamerican production ebike is steel too. I wouldn't try to carry the weight I do on an aluminum frame. They both built their suspension touring bikes before the e-versions.
=Where= can you buy a new Tout Terrain Panamericana?

Now There's the Unicorn! Only R&M I have ever seen being used. Ok, so that one is the bigger ugly sister to my bike. I bet he would like to have a full h.p.

You have to order them through an American dealer, the frame is built for your order. If you have the means... fly to German and bring one back it will be a way better experience. Hey if you get one you can open a Tout Terrain Forum here, it'll be just you and me... that sent a shudder down your spine, didn't it?

Last edited:
Found this odd-ball bike. Full suspension. Still have all the same problems with buying any production ebike but it's another full suspension ebike that could be used for touring. Gonna be a lot of rolling resistance but I bet it's a comfortable ride.

Steel Panamerican production ebike.. What is this, got any links or details describing it?

Sour grapes little fella?
As I said before, you could build an ugly monster truck and boast how better it is than a Mercedes Benz. Do I notice a power generator there? So much for e-bike.
1579074441641.png

Last edited:
As I said before, you could build an ugly monster truck and boast how better it is than a Mercedes Benz. Do I notice a power generator there? So much for e-bike.
He probably thinks ALL ebike specific parts are a marketing grab too! Sure some are but others importantly are not. Testing, testing :)

Back