Thinking about winter commuting already - Surface 604 Electric

Bump for motor upgrade options!

Anything new to update? I have started to wonder about motor upgrade options myself and what is available.

Aside from going mid drive, would it be worth it to look at going to a 500w 48v hub, seeing as the 604 comes stock with only a 350w 36v? What about those high torque hubs? I never found speed to be a huge requirement for this bike, so topping out under 30km/h is just fine by me if it gives me huge torque to get up things. In referencing the bottom brackets on mid drives, is that the only thing holding us back? I have been seeing a few new mid drive fatbikes coming out onto the market very recently. It seems almost like the logical drivetrain for a large bike like this.

I am pretty new to electric systems so please be gentle!

Bump for motor upgrade options!

Anything new to update? I have started to wonder about motor upgrade options myself and what is available.

Aside from going mid drive, would it be worth it to look at going to a 500w 48v hub, seeing as the 604 comes stock with only a 350w 36v? What about those high torque hubs? I never found speed to be a huge requirement for this bike, so topping out under 30km/h is just fine by me if it gives me huge torque to get up things. In referencing the bottom brackets on mid drives, is that the only thing holding us back? I have been seeing a few new mid drive fatbikes coming out onto the market very recently. It seems almost like the logical drivetrain for a large bike like this.

I am pretty new to electric systems so please be gentle!
Hey, welcome to the forum @chuck3436! I think you're correct about mid-drives being perfect for fat bikes (extra torque vs. most hub motors). You can actually do some conversions with the 8Fun BBS02 but it requires some custom parts to achieve the width necessary for most fat bike frames. I've seen custom parts being sold to do this but forgot where :( if anyone else knows, feel free to link it up!

I forgot to mention that I'm in Canada.

I chose 500W 48v as maximum, because in Canada 500W is the maximum for an electric bike without having to license and register.

Back