The "UNOFFICIAL" Atom FAQ thread...

Yeah. Added wired lights.
Not sure about Kindernay. Will add if there’s demand. Most of what we have sold has been straight belt drive with 3 speed shimano.

I am having a hard time deciding!
I REALLY like the belt drive but I do not think three gears are enough. The 11 speed cassette makes sense but -- no belt drive!
My road bike is Specialized Roubaix - 2x11 and I use all the gears.

Can anyone talk about the usability of a 50Lbs ebike with three gears? Is it rideable without the motor?
Thanks for any input!

Really wish this bike was available in a carbon frame with a regular derailleur and cassette. I’m not a big fan of the Shimano Nexus and the Kindernay is overkill on a bike like this.

@Cuz Vinny you can get the Atom in a 11sp cassette. But, if you want a carbon frame, you'll have to move up to the Helios.
Didn’t know you could get an 11 speed cassette. I didn’t see where you could install a derailleur hanger on the frame. Since no belt is being used I’m assuming you wouldn’t need the break in the rear chainstay either.

It’s an $499 upcharge in the configurator. (Seems kinda high to me, but may be worthwhile to some.)
BCC8BF43-FA8A-4EEB-861B-49CB13E6E37B.png

If the rear of the frame changes and does away with the frame break for the belt it’s worth it. Looking at that frame I don’t see a way to hang a derailleur hanger.

In an urban setting I don’t think you would need more than 3 gears IMO. Many people have no problem riding a 750w hub motor which is basically a 1 speed as far as motor torque is concerned. The SA 3 speed is also the strongest IGH until you step up to a Kindernay and 1/5 the price. i would really like to get the upgraded controller when they are available.

In an urban setting I don’t think you would need more than 3 gears IMO. Many people have no problem riding a 750w hub motor which is basically a 1 speed as far as motor torque is concerned. The SA 3 speed is also the strongest IGH until you step up to a Kindernay and 1/5 the price. i would really like to get the upgraded controller when they are available.
I just prefer the cassette because I can get an electronic shifter and I’m not a fan of the frame break.

Totally agree with this. In DC, my Nexus three speed is totally fine (not always comfortable), but fine. But this is on a pedal beach cruiser. On an e-bike, it'll be perfect. All the Jump and Helbiz e-bikes for hire in the city are basically single speeds and do very well on our hills.

Will you be selling the Archon X2 controller separately for the M600? I’d like to change out my stock controller.

I had previously ordered a Helios but cancelled when the wait became too long. In the end, I didn’t buy anything because I’ve been working from home for so long! I’m glad I waited because the Atom seems perfect for my use and I just placed an order. I use it for a 20 mile roundtrip work commute in Seattle and deal with plenty of big hills where I live. Also for weekend biking fun.

Given there is a delay on the upgraded controllers, I went with the default 500 option and will decide if I need to upgrade when they become available. Maybe I won’t need to. I added a suspension fork because we have terrible roads around here, I added fenders, lights, upgraded the brakes, etc. I may add a second battery in the future, maybe when it is time to upgrade the controller. I already have a suspension seat post that I’m hoping will fit on this bike, if not I will sell it for one that will. I went with the 3 speed hub because I want the ease of the belt drive but didn’t want to pay for the Kindernay or deal with the complexity. I just did my work commute today on my wife’s EBC beach cruiser which is a single speed heavy e-bike and it was fine. For what I do...the default Shimano hub will work. I’m excited to get the bike...hopefully in May.

This is a neat bike, but what I would really like is an uber-stealthy road bike, maybe with less power for exercise purposes and not to overpower skinny tires.

Back