The stock grips on my RC-S are the best I've ever used !!

Something like this....................

20201213_105509.jpg

How do you like the mirrors attached to the extender? I have mine on the handlebars and I’m fine with the left, but my right mirror needs to be further left so my body doesn’t block it’s view.

Are your mirrors wide enough to see past your body on that set up?

Yup, I have those grips on a bike as well, and they are great for stock grips. The only negative I could list is that the shape of the ends doesn’t lend themselves to aftermarket bar ends if you are so inclined. I swapped them out with a set of sql grips with integrated inner bar ends on my main commuter, but I fully intend to reuse those stock ones on another bike.

How do you like the mirrors attached to the extender? I have mine on the handlebars and I’m fine with the left, but my right mirror needs to be further left so my body doesn’t block it’s view.

Are your mirrors wide enough to see past your body on that set up?
I haven't road tested this set up yet. I put them on last Sunday but the weather has been crappy. Just sitting on the bike, I seem to have enough of a view to be OK. That extender is 10" long. Combined with the mirror length, my overall width is about 2" less than the handlebar width. I should be able to get out and ride today.

I have had Ergons which are slightly better (the cork like grips seem to breathe better, making it less clammy on long rides), but these are the best stock bike grips I've encountered. The Ergons are very similar, both give you a platform for the heel of your palm to rest on, so that pressure is distributed over a much larger, stabler surface area. Every hybrid/city bike should come with this.

I haven't road tested this set up yet. I put them on last Sunday but the weather has been crappy. Just sitting on the bike, I seem to have enough of a view to be OK. That extender is 10" long. Combined with the mirror length, my overall width is about 2" less than the handlebar width. I should be able to get out and ride today.
OK. The road test is done. The majority of the test was on a 4 lane road.
After playing with the set up, I moved the extender about 1 1/2" to the left of center to favor the critical side. With this set up, about 25% of the right side mirror was usable increasing to roughly 75% when I moved my hand off the grip.

Left side; riding about 18" away from the curb, I was able to see 100% of the inside lane and about 25% of the outside lane (area closest to white stripes). Pulling my elbow in opened the view to about 50% while lifting my hand/arm out of the way allowed 100%.

It's not perfect but more than workable. The mirrors don't interfere with the display, brake, shifter, etc..... Plus, I've gained some additional handle bar real estate for my phone, camera, etc.............

I´ve got about 8k mi. on those grips; have worn the texture right off of one pair. They´re good, but riding in the same hand position eventually
took a toll on my shoulders. I´ve gone back to the padded foam grips I made for myself b4 going electric; they´re just more comfortable.

I´ve got about 8k mi. on those grips; have worn the texture right off of one pair. They´re good, but riding in the same hand position eventually
took a toll on my shoulders. I´ve gone back to the padded foam grips I made for myself b4 going electric; they´re just more comfortable.
This is one reason I’ve gone with my silly looking setup. Two levels and two different grip styles, both wrapped with a good foam tape. I did keep the stock grips and added the bar ends then wrapped it all.
D05670CF-96C1-42F1-AD82-74DA130379BD.jpeg

This is one reason I’ve gone with my silly looking setup. Two levels and two different grip styles, both wrapped with a good foam tape. I did keep the stock grips and added the bar ends then wrapped it all.
View attachment 74444
Looks like mine, but i used thicker foam which takes the shape of my hands after acpl. wks. Much easier on my old arthritic hands.

The ;process uses the thicker type 1¨pipe insulation tube. 1st I wrap the bar end with dbl. sided tape & place the foam over it.
Next I coil 80# tarred nylon around the foam tightly forming a series of ripples 1/2 ¨ wide & secure the cord, THen I cut leather a bit smaller
the grip diameter, punch it for stitching. I soak it & stitch it on wet to shrink dry suede side out. Once dry, I spray on several coats of
clear butane lacquer to waterproof. Or you can just use duct tape; it will crinkle a bit when tightly wrapped over the foam. the softness
of the foam gives it a good grip. It´s really very comfy, soaks up shock & vibration, something those hard ergo grips can´t do.

Last edited:
View attachment 74444
Oooh. Great idea. The horns on my GP5 grips are too hard and will probably be slippery in summer. Shopping for good foam tape now. 👍 :p

Back