Good uses for walk mode

Peer check me on this with a strap of used tube: Walk mode works on lever cut-out bikes even when the brake is partially pulled.

It didn't work on my Voltbike.
I have to push and hold the down button to activate walk mode and I get the letter P on my display.
When I activate the brake switch the (!) Symbol appears and the motor cuts out.

20240606_201148.jpg
20240606_201151.jpg

I didn't use a rubber band.
I just leaned the bike over on the kickstand and spun up the tire.

The hard part was taking the pictures.
My right hand was taking the pictures while my left hand thumb was holding the down button down while my index finger and the next finger were activating the brake.
That left me with my pinky and ring finger holding the bike up while leaning on the kickstand. 😂

Last edited:
I can control my short-throw progressive thumb throttle pretty finely now but it took practice. The trick: Keep your thumb firmly braced on the throttle housing and roll it onto the lever from there.

Yeah, I remember doing that and it really helped to hold a steady speed, but you still had your thumb on the throttle and it would still bounce around. Your grip isn't as firm, and my 👍🏻 always got sore.

I have to resort to that now and then, but walk mode generally feels safer — especially offroad. Wouldn't want to end up with full throttle from a slip of the foot.

The half twist throttle really works slick,..
You roll the throttle to your set speed with your thumb and index finger, then you lock your whole hand around the grip. That locks the throttle setting and you've got both hands wrapped around your grips. You can bounce around a forest trail without bouncing the throttle.

Now THATS friction drive.

I first wrapped gel tape around the bushing and it kinda worked but it was too elastic and the throttle would spring back a bit when I let go, so I cut ¾" strips of plastic from a margarine container lid and wrapped them around the bushing. I had to Really push the last one in to get the throttle to bind enough to get it to not spring back.

I figured that the margarine lid plastic was softer than pop bottle plastic and I wanted to make a stiction device.

I can dial the stiction down if it starts to bind too hard with some Specialized Anti-Stiction grease, which is scientifically engineered to adjust stiction. 😂

half twist throttle
A half twist throttle's idea during initial visualization of the concept or in a showroom is more appealing than it is in the real world. When walking a bike, for example, to or through a glass door if that throttle is accidentally touched, it will fly high. Scary stuff. And it will fly more the harder up a wall or door as you hold on to and grip to control the flying bike. A reverse throttle, forward = power, would solve that walking problem. Moving it forward to go forward would keep it to the ground. It is funny how Vado and Como were named, the circumstances were accidental. How it the project going? What? Mexico & Spain owned California for 350 years before the US. Spanish is ingrained here as a Spanish Colony almost like French to the Quebecois. The project is coming along and crossing the threshold = Vado. What, you want an electric Roll comfort bike? = Como.

I made a controllable throttle by leaving the plastic insert out, this plastic insert allows the throttle to shut off, when the twist part is released.
With the plastic insert removed, jamb the 2 grip parts together with enough friction to run/set the throttle at what ever speed you need.

You just have to remember to shut it down when you are thru using the throttle.
The first rule when your around an e bike is to grab a hand brake,
then nothing can happen when you least expect it. ymmv

A half twist throttle's idea during initial visualization of the concept or in a showroom is more appealing than it is in the real world. When walking a bike, for example, to or through a glass door if that throttle is accidentally touched, it will fly high. Scary stuff. And it will fly more the harder up a wall or door as you hold on to and grip to control the flying bike. A reverse throttle, forward = power, would solve that walking problem. Moving it forward to go forward would keep it to the ground. It is funny how Vado and Como were named, the circumstances were accidental. How it the project going? What? Mexico & Spain owned California for 350 years before the US. Spanish is ingrained here as a Spanish Colony almost like French to the Quebecois. The project is coming along and crossing the threshold = Vado. What, you want an electric Roll comfort bike? = Como.
Walking a bike through glass doors or otherwise you just toggle down to PAS 0 and the throttle is disabled.. but walk mode still works. If you really want to twist forward, just buy a left hand throttle and install it on the right side and vise/versa
Half twist is so much more controllable over rough terrain than a thumb and is much easier to maintain for a distance if that's your thang

Last edited by a moderator:
Like some others, my R1Up's walk mode is too fast. Useless to me.

A half twist throttle's idea during initial visualization of the concept or in a showroom is more appealing than it is in the real world.

My half twist throttle is the most appealing throttle that I have, and I've got almost a dozen different throttles. 😂

20230601_194236.jpg

20231008_114838.jpg
20230408_014228.jpg

When walking a bike, for example, to or through a glass door if that throttle is accidentally touched, it will fly high. Scary stuff.

I've done that on all my e-bikes and motorcycles.
It good practice for teaching your muscle memory to not do that. 😂

And it will fly more the harder up a wall or door as you hold on to and grip to control the flying bike.

Actually it won't.
As the bike stands up infront of you, the throttle is rolled off.

A reverse throttle, forward = power, would solve that walking problem. Moving it forward to go forward would keep it to the ground.

If you roll the throttle too far forward and the ebike stands up on its rear wheel while you're holding on, the throttle goes to max.

I do however want a reverse twist half twist throttle.
I think that I might buy one intended for the European market and install it on the right.

An ebike for me is about riding the bike, not walking beside it.
If I'm riding an ebike with a reverse twist throttle, as I stand up and lean forward to climb a hill, the throttle naturally rolls on to give me more power as I climb a steep hill.
If I am sitting and roll the throttle on too hard, I get thrown back which rolls the throttle off.

It is funny how Vado and Como were named, the circumstances were accidental. How it the project going? What? Mexico & Spain owned California for 350 years before the US. Spanish is ingrained here as a Spanish Colony almost like French to the Quebecois. The project is coming along and crossing the threshold = Vado. What, you want an electric Roll comfort bike? = Como.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but I do know that they speak French in Quebec.
You have to order a McPoulet instead of a McChicken or you won't be served.
It's THE LAW !!. 😂

Like some others, my R1Up's walk mode is too fast. Useless to me.

Does anyone here ride their ebike in walk mode?
I can ride my e-bike at 3 kph.
It's great practice and fun to see how slow you can ride.

Any jackass can hop on an ebike and go like hell, but it takes a lot of skill to ride slow.
Besides you need to learn how to fall over at 5 mph before you try learn how to crash at 28 mph.
It takes a lot more skill to crash fast than to crash slow. 😂

The first rule when your around an e bike is to grab a hand brake,

Yeah I learned that rule the hard way. 😂
Now I ALWAYS have a brake lever pulled when I'm stopped.
When it comes time to get off the bike, I let go of the brake for a split second then grab it again incase it takes off without me if I did something stupid again. 😂

You just have to remember to shut it down when you are thru using the throttle.

When I first installed my KT controller, I had two throttles, two different cruise controls, 5 throttle gears and 5 PAS modes.
I screwed up A LOT. 😂

I like how the brake switch is a dedicated kill switch that overrides Everything.

I did some testing and found that if I have left the throttle is on when I turn on the bike, I get a throttle fault and the bike doesn't go.
I just turn the throttle off and back on and it resets itself.

But I still hold the brake when I turn it on or get on the bike.
The brake keeps the bike from rolling away from you as your getting on as well.

Before I added cruise control, I used this device to "lock" my half twist throttle at a set speed:

61IhiQgTEAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It clamps around the throttle grip and rests against the brake lever. The clamp tension is variable, so speed can easily be adjusted. It releases when the brake lever is pulled. It's designed for motorcycles but works well on ebike throttles as well.

I do not remember the last time I used or needed it on my Priority Current. I remove the battery when I carry the bike up a few stairs into my home or a brew-pub platform I visit along the trail once in a while.

On the other hand, I wish I had a more user friendly walk mode on my heavier step-through Evelo Omega. As I learned early on, step through e-bike frames can be clumsy to carry. The one and only time I tried it I nearly went through the wall. (I foolishly tried it at home after assembling the bike).

My point? Variable or graduated speed walk through modes would be very useful either for steps or a situation like gromike had on the ferry. "One size fits all" might apply to certain articles of clothing, but "one speed fits all" isn't a great concept for walk mode on an e-bike.

Dog man
I have seen several step thru's that have a nylon/leather strap around the motor and seat tube that for lifting the bike. I am in the process of making a nylon one for the Jugg 4 bike, as you say, just too awkward to lift. I'll try to find the photo's of the strap.

Last edited:
I have no idea what you're talking about, but I do know that they speak French in Quebec.
You have to order a McPoulet instead of a McChicken or you won't be served.
It's THE LAW !!. 😂
No, it's not the law. As a consumer you can call it anything you want and order in any language you want (but if you stray from French or English you might not be understood ... ;) ). It's the vendor that has to place French above English when initially greeting customers or advertising (but not during a transaction). So visitors just have to remember that while just about everyone speaks English they will usually initially see and be greeted in French.

Dog man
I have seen several step thru's that have a nylon/leather strap around the motor and seat tube that for lifting the bike. I am in the process of making a nylon one for the Jugg 4 bike, as you say, just too awkward to lift. I'll try to find the photo's of the strap.
That would be great if it fits. I bought something like that on Amazon last year on a gamble, but not surprisingly, it did not come close to providing enough material to lock onto the big Omega frame. Also, while it seemed to be of decent quality, as straps go, I do not know if it would have been strong enough to lug over 60 lbs even if it did fit. I like the idea though. I do see some step-thru frames with small bars toward the bottom of the V, but I assumed those were there to provide rigidity, not as a carry handle.

I do not remember the last time I used or needed it on my Priority Current. I remove the battery when I carry the bike up a few stairs into my home or a brew-pub platform I visit along the trail once in a while.

On the other hand, I wish I had a more user friendly walk mode on my heavier step-through Evelo Omega. As I learned early on, step through e-bike frames can be clumsy to carry. The one and only time I tried it I nearly went through the wall. (I foolishly tried it at home after assembling the bike).

My point? Variable or graduated speed walk through modes would be very useful either for steps or a situation like gromike had on the ferry. "One size fits all" might apply to certain articles of clothing, but "one speed fits all" isn't a great concept for walk mode on an e-bike.
The Bafang mid_drive motors output a slow rotation at the crank so depending on your rear gearing you can choose from a very slow controlled crawl up to about 5mph.
1st gear is perfect for going up stairs but too slow to balance/ride while 14th gear will be an easy slow ride or brisk walk along side. y(very limited)mmv

The gusset at the bottom of the vee in my step-thru frame doubles as a handle. Better than nothing but still clumsy to carry.

20221106_201556.jpg

Never checked the actual speed, but Surface 604 really nailed walk-mode speed and torque for the grades and surfaces I need it on. (Also spot-on with their torque-sensing assist and throttle implementations.)

20230819_162026.jpg

Thick piles of these fist-sized rounded beach cobbles are the worst. Totally unrideable with my 2.3" hybrid tires, and walking a 70 lb through it without assistance is a real slog. Footing's bad, rolling resistance is huge, and steering can be tricky.

Way better with walk mode in every way. Yet, mine's also easy to keep up with on hard, flat sufaces. Well done!

Addendum: Speed in walk-mode on flat pavement = 3.1 mph — whether riding the bike or walking alongside.

Last edited:
Back