Good uses for walk mode

I have no idea what you're talking about, but I do know that they speak French in Quebec.
You have to order a McPoulet instead of a McChicken or you won't be served.
It's THE LAW !!. 😂
The last time I was at a KFC in Quebec, the server wouldn't take my order unless I did it in French. He spoke perfect English but actually laughed at me when I tried. I eventually walked out and haven't been in a KFC since. I don't know about the law but it sure wasn't good PR for KFC. :mad:

The last time I was at a KFC in Quebec, the server wouldn't take my order unless I did it in French. He spoke perfect English but actually laughed at me when I tried. I eventually walked out and haven't been in a KFC since. I don't know about the law but it sure wasn't good PR for KFC. :mad:
We ran into that several times in Paris ca. 2003. Yet we found the south of France friendly and welcoming and willing to communicate any way it took. Funny how culture works.

Does anyone here ride their ebike in walk mode?
I can ride my e-bike at 3 kph.
It's great practice and fun to see how slow you can ride.

Any jackass can hop on an ebike and go like hell, but it takes a lot of skill to ride slow.
Besides you need to learn how to fall over at 5 mph before you try learn how to crash at 28 mph.
It takes a lot more skill to crash fast than to crash slow. 😂

Slow bike races are the best. If ya don't know how that works, you set up some lanes - a couple feet wide. Everyone starts together. Last one to the finish wins. You can't leave your lane and can't put your foot down. If nothing else, it's a reason to throw a neighborhood party. Or spice one up.

I do however want a reverse twist half twist throttle.
I think that I might buy one intended for the European market and install it on the right.

I found out some information then bought a reverse-half-twist-right-hand throttle,..

Screenshot_20240607-230553_AliExpress.jpg
Screenshot_20240607-230652_AliExpress.jpg

Screenshot_20240607-231232_AliExpress.jpg

I found the walk mode to be very tedious on the Bosch active, you have to keep pressure on the button and it becomes uncomfortable very quickly, too slow as well.
I gave up using it to climb rough terrain.

A thumb throttle is far better for me, just hold my thumb comfortably against the bar and a micro tweet of pressure can adjust the speed between 1mph and fast walk, with blips to get over obstacles.

The legality is pretty moot on a remote moutain track.

I just don't understand Quebec. They want independence and tourism is a big part of their economy. With an attitude like this, how could they possibly succeed?

I just don't understand Quebec. They want independence and tourism is a big part of their economy. With an attitude like this, how could they possibly succeed?
It's a French thing. I got guff from the man working at the Paris train station information desk. It really bothered him to speak another language even though he knew how to and then to give information though it was his purpose... smh...

I found out some information then bought a reverse-half-twist-right-hand throttle,..
When I first read that I thought you wanted a reverse twist throttle like Grin now sells for a regen setup (twist the throttle backwards to engage and moderate regen braking).

What you've bought is a left handed half twist throttle? (but yes, a reverse twist from a right handed model).

When I first read that I thought you wanted a reverse twist throttle like Grin now sells for a regen setup (twist the throttle backwards to engage and moderate regen braking).

What you've bought is a left handed half twist throttle? (but yes, a reverse twist from a right handed model).

Yes.
I had to look at the throttle picture in the mirror to make sure that I was buying the right throttle. 😂
I mean the left throttle.
The right throttle is the wrong throttle. 😂

I had to flip it and reverse it. 😂

I have read in the past that people in Quebec act snooty. That image is reinforced by the comments made here. If I ever have to drive through Quebec, I hope I don't have to stop anywhere.

The "people" of Quebec are not snooty ... any more than the people of the US are snooty, Okies are backward, or any other ridiculous generality. Quebecers are a wide diverse group of people and just like any other region of North America there are ignorant a-holes and really nice people. There just happens to also be a lot of French spoken there alongside English.

That would be great if it fits. I bought something like that on Amazon last year on a gamble, but not surprisingly, it did not come close to providing enough material to lock onto the big Omega frame. Also, while it seemed to be of decent quality, as straps go, I do not know if it would have been strong enough to lug over 60 lbs even if it did fit. I like the idea though. I do see some step-thru frames with small bars toward the bottom of the V, but I assumed those were there to provide rigidity, not as a carry handle.
My step thru has such a bar, and I have always assumed it's to stiffen the frame, but it is a handy handle.

There were a bunch of bike and early ebike step through frames with just a rounded or oval down tube that didn't hold up well over time (anecdotal). It was clear that the short cross member was indeed added to stiffen and make this frame design last longer. Some of these crossmembers are a little cramped for bigger hands and I always thought it would be useful to have a shoulder strap that used this crossmember to help carry these ebikes.

,.. I always thought it would be useful to have a shoulder strap that used this crossmember to help carry these ebikes.

That's an awesome idea 💡!!
I'm making a shoulder strap right now.
Gunna use a luggage strap with clips and carry it with me.
(I mean the strap. I'm only going to carry the bike if I have to. 😂)

Harnesses for hike-a-bike have been already invented 😊

I can see where these harnesses would be practical for carrying conventional bikes, but can you use one to carry a heavy e-bike? I suppose some are light enough and doable for physically fit riders but in my case, the bike, battery, and gear often exceeds 100#. The bike itself is 58# and could be carried, but what about the battery & gear? Would you carry the bike and leave the attachments behind? If you're just carrying the bike a short distance, like up stairs or over a stretch of rough ground, you could make more than one trip. Trying to carry a bike any distance would be a different story.

In my younger years, I used to hike with a 75# backpack, but those days are long gone. For me, it would be easier to use walk assist, or just push a disabled bike to a location where help is available.

When we talk of carrying a bike and in particular an ebike we're generally not talking about transporting it over any sort of distance. Some bikes have been designed to accomodate this ... think cyclecross and many MTBs. Ever wonder why the brake and rear gear cables are often routed on top of the top tube?

But overall I think we're really just dealing with getting a bike/ebike over an obstacle. Stairs, car rack, occasional trail obstacle, etc. Anything cheap, simple and effective that makes dealing with these things easier is the idea. Indeed many folks cannot easily carry their ebike any distance. Certainly lightening things up a bit by removing the battery helps but many folks also have all kinds of other stuff attached and so can't easily manage the heavier setup. Most folks also find that lifting and holding a bike with one arm difficult, but a short lift with a strap over your shoulder much easier.

For bikes without the cross member or a triangle too small to put over your shoulder another idea is to get one of those big bike storage hooks and put a shoulder strap on it (fastening the two together is the part requiring some real creativity). The hook goes into the little opening many bikes have between the stay on the lower fork arms and the bottom bracket ... but you do have to be careful of any of the brake/gear cables or wires that might also be routed down under or around your bottom bracket.

The ladies in Quebec are lovely and totally comfortable in their natural femininity. They own their naturally grounded womanhood. They are free to be famine and be themselves. Makeup is non-extistant or very minimal, maybe some lip gloss. The beauty shines through and is not covered over with pancake and falsies. They walk with confidence. Bras are also shear or mostly absent. It is hard not to look only at the eyes in a conversation at a supermarket checkout. They are grounded and confident. The only thing slightly more wonderful are California cargo moms.

Last edited:
Back