The new Stromer ST5

Would recommend the B-67 for larger riders--I am 6'1", 205 and have ridden my B-67 for nearly 6,000, mostly on a Stromer. Combined with a Thudbuster LT or similar seat stem shock absorber, it makes a big difference.

If you compare the setlist with those for the ST2s, you'll missing some brand names like fizik or magura - and the carbon fork.

upload_2017-9-13_17-42-4.png

As you might have recognized from the setlist above: The U-shaped daylight is back! In the past due to its insufficient brightness only a decoration light by law. Now, it's the Stromer signature light! Together with the two sickles of the M99pro, the ST5 has a very remarkable face. For sure, you now will be identified a fast running vehicle rather than as slow motioning bicycle.

upload_2017-9-16_16-22-37.png

Preview if the new OMNI. Now, capacitative touch is introduced.
Also, like the new tires a lot. I still wonder, why no rack? What is the point if you can't carry any cargo for a bike that demands $10K?

Thanks.

By Swiss law, 1000W is maximum. The upcoming EU law also allows 1000W power. So, the ST5 motor will have 800W nominal and unknown peak power. Furthermore, 48NM will support you. These values are clearly above the ST2 motor.

View attachment 18093

750W is the maximum in the US.
I wonder how they will bring in 800W to comply with the law?

Stromer aside while Federal law limit is 750w some states, like OR where I live, allow 1000w. Still 20 mph though and other than the states that have adopted the class 123 regs still no change to the higher 28mph at the Federal level.

Got me excited there talking about a possible Pinion / belt combo, but alas, I see a chain and sprockets. I have no personal experience with the reliability of hub motors, but I've test ridden several Stromers and appreciate the power and silence. For commuting though, I opted to go for a belt drive, which at this time in the U.S. meant a Bosch mid-motor, and a Nuvinci N380 hub. I was skeptical of the Nuvinci, and after racking up some miles on it, I'm not convinced it'll be a good high mileage commuting solution. Neither is a chain and sprockets, just because of the time and effort you'll spend maintaining it. Prior to the belt drive, I rode about 30k commuter miles on a mid drive Bosch, and did chain maintenance every week, and I'll tell you, it get's old... I was riding 370mi/week (albeit on a mid-drive), and replacing chains monthly. I know that chain wear on a hub motor bike will be less, but it will still need cleaning, lubing, adjusting, etc. These bikes are entering into a utility transportation territory when we talk about travelling on the order of 100 miles a day, 500 miles per week! This is where they can become a real alternative to commuting by car, which is what my bike has done for me for the last three years. I'm in my first few months with a belt, and I'll never go back!

The ST5 looks pretty appealing in many ways, but I won't give it a second look without a belt drive...

Last edited:
Got me excited there talking about a possible Pinion / belt combo, but alas, I see a chain and sprockets. I have no personal experience with the reliability of hub motors, but I've test ridden several Stromers and appreciate the power and silence. For commuting though, I opted to go for a belt drive, which at this time in the U.S. meant a Bosch mid-motor, and a Nuvinci N380 hub. I was skeptical of the Nuvinci, and after racking up some miles on it, I'm not convinced it'll be a good high mileage commuting solution. Neither is a chain and sprockets, just because of the time and effort you'll spend maintaining it. Prior to the belt drive, I rode about 30k commuter miles on a mid drive Bosch, and did chain maintenance every week, and I'll tell you, it get's old... I was riding 370mi/week (albeit on a mid-drive), and replacing chains monthly. I know that chain wear on a hub motor bike will be less, but it will still need cleaning, lubing, adjusting, etc. These bikes are entering into a utility transportation territory when we talk about travelling on the order of 100 miles a day, 500 miles per week! This is where they can become a real alternative to commuting by car, which is what my bike has done for me for the last three years. I'm in my first few months with a belt, and I'll never go back!

The ST5 looks pretty appealing in many ways, but I won't give it a second look without a belt drive...

This might get you excited?
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Tame down the PAS3 from 800w to 750w. Peak power will still be the same and most people rarely use PAS3 level anyway. Most will be happy with PAS2, so there will not be much difference.

This might get you excited?
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Yeah, that is pretty appealing, but won't be available in the US until probably mid to late 2018... I currently ride the prior generation R&M Charger GT Nuvinci HS (which is a 28mph / 45kph version). It works great at the moment, but I'm not sure how well the Nuvinci will hold up. The 350W mid motor is plenty powerful, despite being 36V, to cruise along at the bikes imposed limited top speed. I wouldn't object to more power, but the 36V, 350W specs are not what's holding the bike back - it's the artificial limit imposed at 28mph. And I don't think more power would be advisable with the Nuvinci.

The new version is appealing because of the known reliability of the Rohloff. Everything else about it (integrated batteries) is just icing - nice to haves, but hardly necessary.

I'd take a really hard look at a Stromer with a belt and Pinion drive, despite the hefty price premium... But without a belt, it's not even a contender.

I still wonder, why no rack? What is the point if you can't carry any cargo for a bike that demands $10K?

My colleague, who commutes with a ST2 with rack and side bags told me: This construction is a "consumable". The rack was standing nearby. It seems not finally clear, if the rack will be an option to order. In Switzerland, it's very common, carrying your stuff in a backpack.

30398402qh.jpg

30398417wr.jpg

My colleague, who commutes with a ST2 with rack and side bags told me: This construction is a "consumable". The rack was standing nearby. It seems not finally clear, if the rack will be an option to order. In Switzerland, it's very common, carrying your stuff in a backpack.

30398402qh.jpg

30398417wr.jpg

ST5 has plenty of horsepower but still makes the rider carry load like a donkey.
Here are marketing tagline suggestions for Stromer:
Dollars in our bank, pounds on your back..

Tame down the PAS3 from 800w to 750w. Peak power will still be the same and most people rarely use PAS3 level anyway. Most will be happy with PAS2, so there will not be much difference.
I don't mean to challenge your statistic, but 'most people rarely use PAS3 level anyway'.?
You can balance that out a bit- I only use PAS3 level.

ST5 has plenty of horsepower but still makes the rider carry load like a donkey.
Here are marketing tagline suggestions for Stromer:
Dollars in our bank, pounds on your back..
I don't know what 'construction is consumable' means, but I will bet my life a rack will be available. Fact remains rack doesn't have any use until you buy the stuff that snaps into it- then it is incredibly useful. I do half Swiss/half Venturian style- snap in a basket and throw my backpack in basket...... If I pick some thing up along the way- backpack donkey style and use the basket for whatever I picked up along the way. My only grip was nobody told me the magic of rack, until I learned of rack time- I saw no use of rack. Prolly disclosing my dumbness- nice bike/stupid rack should be obvious something was missing

Whoever decided to place the horn at the down tube is not a cyclist (or not a commuter cyclist).
upload_2017-9-4_22-17-41-png.18130

I predict there will be a very high incidence of horn failure due to water and dirt.
upload_2017-10-1_8-37-36.png

There is a reason why the fender of the specialized Vado hangs low, to protect the mid drive from water and debris (and also your feet).
upload_2017-10-1_17-16-14.png

Last edited:

You're right!

In the US, the power sticker will be "750W".

upload_2017-10-1_18-21-14.png

Maybe, you have the same fuzziness among the power values as in europe:

Is the given value the electrical power which the motor takes from the battery? Or is it the mechanical power which the motor gives to the axle? Are the values defined through standard conditions? And if so, what are the standard conditions? Or are they more or less peak values?

Are the power numbers the same for the newest ST5 and ST2? The price listed above is for the ST2s not the ST5 so maybe this graphic is not correct for th ST5 but is for thr ST2

Also I use level 3 as long as I have enough battery for my planned trip, I have a blue and carry a gold so most times .

Last edited:
Are the power numbers the same for the newest ST5 and ST2? The price listed is for the ST2s not the ST5 so maybe this is not correct...

Hope you're recovering well, Mark!
The new ST5 won't be available until summer 2018. When it does come on board, there might be some price adjustment on the ST2-S.

Back