The Joys of MS...

Update to last post: Trike is ordered.

They will paint it any colour you want - you just provide Pantone #.
Her walker, her electric travel wheelchair and now her trike, will all be the same shade of blue!

The owner was most accommodating - now all I can do is hope that she can use it.
It's always the stepover height (difficult) and her balance (crap - that's why we got rid of her bike).
The "locking tilt system" will take care of balance, but we'll have to work on a process for her step-over to get on it. She's been working hard on her bad leg and it will be close.

I'm hoping the seat tube is the same as my bike, as I can mount my PNW Coast dropper so she can try it out,
My hack for her foot retention on the left pedal will be easy to replicate from her old bike. I just screw a metal plate to the pedal, and we'd cut out a section of sole on a shoe, and epoxied super magnets in there.
It worked well for her before.

If the trike works out I'll need to source a method to haul it, as I think it will be just the tiniest too tall to fit in either of our station wagons (Volvo and VW).
This one looks promising.

Stay tuned - exciting times!

I live with less fortunate neighbours now (as I got a social flat as the outcome of fire in my home). A crippled neighbour rides this e-trike:

1619200830920.png

A year ago, I could see that man on-road. When he got on a straight road segment, he just pushed the throttle and sped to some 45 km/h. It was no point for me to chase him on my Lovelec that can make some 32-35 km/h :) I met the man in person now, as he lives in our block. There is a 9 kg Direct Drive motor in the front wheel, and a 48V 10 Ah battery in the rear basket. The neighbour told me the trike might speed up to 100 km/h but he had been reasonable and asked for a 45 km/h limiter.

Not sure about the cause of his illness but his legs are disabled (he moves on his knees). The trike is a joy of his life - he rides out everyday.

Hi Keith, I also have MS. The throttle is a god send for me. It takes away that “wobble” as you’re setting off. A quick blip to get you going and a little momentum helps no end. Try and get a go on one before you make the leap just to make sure it’s what you need. I’d say your thinking in the correct direction. Hope you get something sorted soon. 👍
Terry, my apologies for the delay. I have not checked the forum for a little while. You are absolutely right regarding throttle and I love it on my E trike!

Update to last post: Trike is ordered.

They will paint it any colour you want - you just provide Pantone #.
Her walker, her electric travel wheelchair and now her trike, will all be the same shade of blue!

The owner was most accommodating - now all I can do is hope that she can use it.
It's always the stepover height (difficult) and her balance (crap - that's why we got rid of her bike).
The "locking tilt system" will take care of balance, but we'll have to work on a process for her step-over to get on it. She's been working hard on her bad leg and it will be close.

I'm hoping the seat tube is the same as my bike, as I can mount my PNW Coast dropper so she can try it out,
My hack for her foot retention on the left pedal will be easy to replicate from her old bike. I just screw a metal plate to the pedal, and we'd cut out a section of sole on a shoe, and epoxied super magnets in there.
It worked well for her before.

If the trike works out I'll need to source a method to haul it, as I think it will be just the tiniest too tall to fit in either of our station wagons (Volvo and VW).
This one looks promising.

Stay tuned - exciting times!
Wow, this sounds great! I watched the video and it’s a very different design and I’m very curious about its comfort and usability for your wife. Do you have it yet? Thoughts? Reactions?

Wow, this sounds great! I watched the video and it’s a very different design and I’m very curious about its comfort and usability for your wife. Do you have it yet? Thoughts? Reactions?
My wife seems to think it will be here by the end of May. Will advise once we've given it a go.

Nice to see some information on trikes showing up here for those who need them. My neighbor ( who rides a conventional bike and a tandem) helped another neighbor get this trike, powered by a 750 watt bafang and 8 speed.
20200821_104654.jpg

Nice to see some information on trikes showing up here for those who need them. My neighbor ( who rides a conventional bike and a tandem) helped another neighbor get this trike, powered by a 750 watt bafang and 8 speed.
View attachment 87625
That’s a nice machine and so safe looking for some one who maybe needs a bit more stable platform than 2 wheels can offer. It’s awesome to see these becoming available for everyone. Nice one buddy! 👍

That’s a nice machine and so safe looking for some one who maybe needs a bit more stable platform than 2 wheels can offer. It’s awesome to see these becoming available for everyone. Nice one buddy! 👍
Gosh, that bike looks like it could go around the world! Pretty impressive that he is out there all the time on the bike. This is such a key point about why I love ebikes - it opens the world to so many people who would never consider it.

My wife seems to think it will be here by the end of May. Will advise once we've given it a go.
Randall

I viewed the other videos and love the suspension and tilting capabilities... like a regular upright bike.

Like yr wife, the stepover height for me wd be a challenge. Pls let me know how you address that issue after you break-in the new bike. I like my recumbent etrike but but getting up from it is quite an ordeal, and like that the mastretta is upright...

I don't see pricing on their site or anywhere else-- does one need to contact them directly? I'm curious..

Randall

I viewed the other videos and love the suspension and tilting capabilities... like a regular upright bike.

Like yr wife, the stepover height for me wd be a challenge. Pls let me know how you address that issue after you break-in the new bike. I like my recumbent etrike but but getting up from it is quite an ordeal, and like that the mastretta is upright...

I don't see pricing on their site or anywhere else-- does one need to contact them directly? I'm curious..
Hi Keith,
We just got an update today from Carlos (one of the owners) that they've been delayed for a week as they are giving us their new 2022 frame and it was slightly delayed. It is out for painting and final assembly and it should be on it's way by the end of next week. .He and my wife had quite a lot of email communications before she committed to the purchase, so I hope the new frame is an improvement for the step over height - but it can only be a minor improvement as the cranks have to be a certain height to work properly.

Her price, with the standard rear hub motor (c/w throttle), larger battery (10Ah), front and rear racks and fenders, was $3400 Canadian with free delivery.
Based on a quick internet search on current exchange rates, that's $2800 USD.

You can also get a Bafang mid drive (+$800 CDN) and I think it's pretty well standard bike parts for the rest including:.
  • Tektro hydraulic disc brakes.
  • Shimano drivetrain (not sure which level)
  • Lifetime frame and suspension warranty.
  • One year warranty on the rest .

Stay tuned...

Thanks for the update and I’m sure you all are excited!

The price isn’t bad and honestly, lower than I thought it would be. Are you going through a dealer or distributor in Canada, or do they ship them directly from Mexico to you in Canada (for free)?

What are your thoughts on the step over right? I’m sure you can rig up something at home, but probably a little more challenging getting on and off when out on rides, at shops /stores etc….

Hi Keith,
We just got an update today from Carlos (one of the owners) that they've been delayed for a week as they are giving us their new 2022 frame and it was slightly delayed. It is out for painting and final assembly and it should be on it's way by the end of next week. .He and my wife had quite a lot of email communications before she committed to the purchase, so I hope the new frame is an improvement for the step over height - but it can only be a minor improvement as the cranks have to be a certain height to work properly.

Her price, with the standard rear hub motor (c/w throttle), larger battery (10Ah), front and rear racks and fenders, was $3400 Canadian with free delivery.
Based on a quick internet search on current exchange rates, that's $2800 USD.

You can also get a Bafang mid drive (+$800 CDN) and I think it's pretty well standard bike parts for the rest including:.
  • Tektro hydraulic disc brakes.
  • Shimano drivetrain (not sure which level)
  • Lifetime frame and suspension warranty.
  • One year warranty on the rest .

Stay tuned...
Hi Randall,

Did you get the bike yet? You had thought it would be late May. Let me know and I'm sure you all are on pins and needles. I'm really interested in how it rides and now your wife likes the tilting functions, almost like a rack-and-pinion steering. Any idea how reliable or durable these are? Can't find too many reviews on them yet but they look very compelling to me.

Let me know and thx much!

Hi @Keith Johnston , no trike yet.
In regards to the steering components, I would presume they will be well made and sturdy, as this manufacturers main line of business is designing and building custom, light weight, sports cars.

According to manufacturer, shipping later today or tomorrow. Supply chain issues had them waiting on a suspension part the last 2 weeks. Now hopefully no snafus at the borders...Mexico into USA and then USA to Canada. Coming by DHL, which i am generally happy with. Thankfully not UPS!

Keep us apprised! Which model did she get--Sport, City, Cargo? It looks like the City and Cargo have lower step-over heights, which is prompting my question. I wonder if she can approach to bike from the back and walk up to the seat? Let me know. Thanks and have a great time with it!

According to manufacturer, shipping later today or tomorrow. Supply chain issues had them waiting on a suspension part the last 2 weeks. Now hopefully no snafus at the borders...Mexico into USA and then USA to Canada. Coming by DHL, which i am generally happy with. Thankfully not UPS!
For sure let us all know how your wife goes with her new trike. 👍

DHL tracking says delivery today, but we also know its stuck in customs as they have misplaced the document about country of origin. We've played this game before and know how to deal with it, so the delay should be short. Thankfully this is DHL and not UPS or FEDEX, as our experiences with them with similar scenarios has always been very, very, short on satisfaction...

If it does show up today, not much chance of getting much riding in. Record setting heat wave here, and my wife does not handle heat very well at all.

Stay tuned for a hopefully exciting unveiling.

Back