The Joys of MS...

I'm interested in their van Raam Balance, low step-through 2 wheel bike. It has a 'launch' function to power from a dead stop. There is a local dealer here in Madison, so I'll check them out.

So I could list my current (beloved) Trek on this site? Good to know. I haven't really explored it too much.....

Thanks much.

I'm interested in their van Raam Balance, low step-through 2 wheel bike. It has a 'launch' function to power from a dead stop. There is a local dealer here in Madison, so I'll check them out.

So I could list my current (beloved) Trek on this site? Good to know. I haven't really explored it too much.....

Thanks much.

Yes. Test ride, by all means!

Agree that it's a good looking trike. It resembles the Electric Bicycle Tech. tadpole trike reviewed on this site somewhere. Yes, I'm curious what they feel like to ride and will take one out for a spin soon.

Jaizon, you mentioned you believe better options exist rather than the e-trike. What are your thoughts?

Also, I talked for a while today to the lead tech at my bike shop where I bought my new Trek ebike. He's familiar with my situation and I had asked him ideas on how to hack a throttle onto the Bosch Active Line Plus system simply to assist starting from a dead stop. He said he found something called a SpeedBox (https://www.speedbox-tuning.com/p/speedbox-3-0-for-bosch) that can clip into the Bosch system. It deactivates speed limiters and is activated through the 'Walk' function in the Purion display. It works with the Bosch 3rd and 4th generation systems (I have the latter) and my guy's thoughts were to use it when stopped via the Walk function so I can quickly get enough momentum to begin pedaling.

He said he reached out on their site (they're a Czech company) and apparently the speedbox chip is not noticed in the system by Bosch diagnostic tools, possibly saving the warranty.

Anyone hear of this before? It's even sold on Amazon for about $185.

Thanks much.
Keith
The chip will not give you more power off the line it will just enable the bike to continue power past the governed speed.
I have 30,000 miles on my Trek Super Commuter with no motor problems.
I use this one:

It does not appear to provide a throttle function so I can get power off the line from a dead stop--that's my issue because I don't always have strength to pedal immediately....

It does not appear to provide a throttle function so I can get power off the line from a dead stop--that's my issue because I don't always have strength to pedal immediately....
When my wife (40 years of MS), could still ride, she really needed the throttle when starting. Now that her balance has deteriorated to such an extent, she longer rides. It became a question of how many crashes, so common sense kicked in. She tried a trike, but she didn't feel steady enough on that either.

I strongly suggest that you spend the money if you afford it, and get the best bike you can, and enjoy the outdoors as long as you can. There seem to be a number of manufacturers who make bikes that may suit you, unfortunately a lot of them are online sellers with no bricks and mortar shops.

As someone who's very close to your situation, I wish you all the best in finding a solution. Although it's not a bicycle, we are looking at this for my wife so she can come along with me when I'm out and about on my bike. 4 Wheel Electric Rig

Agree that it's a good looking trike. It resembles the Electric Bicycle Tech. tadpole trike reviewed on this site somewhere. Yes, I'm curious what they feel like to ride and will take one out for a spin soon.

Jaizon, you mentioned you believe better options exist rather than the e-trike. What are your thoughts?

Also, I talked for a while today to the lead tech at my bike shop where I bought my new Trek ebike. He's familiar with my situation and I had asked him ideas on how to hack a throttle onto the Bosch Active Line Plus system simply to assist starting from a dead stop. He said he found something called a SpeedBox (https://www.speedbox-tuning.com/p/speedbox-3-0-for-bosch) that can clip into the Bosch system. It deactivates speed limiters and is activated through the 'Walk' function in the Purion display. It works with the Bosch 3rd and 4th generation systems (I have the latter) and my guy's thoughts were to use it when stopped via the Walk function so I can quickly get enough momentum to begin pedaling.

He said he reached out on their site (they're a Czech company) and apparently the speedbox chip is not noticed in the system by Bosch diagnostic tools, possibly saving the warranty.

Anyone hear of this before? It's even sold on Amazon for about $185.

Thanks much.
Keith
Hi Keith,

I have a similar product to the Speedbox on my e-Bike and it works perfectly, but all it does is remove the top speed restriction of my Class 2 bike.
It changes nothing regarding my starting from a stop and I suspect the Speedbox works the same way...Remove the top
speed restriction only.

Since you've spoken with your Trek Dealer / Technician you might ask about the possibility of changing the chain ring and or the
cassette for a lower ( more torque ) combination to aid in acceleration from a stop. Perhaps this is not a solution and
you're in need of complete starting assist via the motor from a start with no pedaling whatsoever ?

Oh, I hate it when logic flies in the face of desire....!

I love my Trek, it's only a few months old, and I'm not sure the best way to sell it other than the usual CraigsList, local versions such as NextDoor, etc....

Yes, I do ultimately agree with you and am looking at other e-bike options with throttles, including recumbents, recumbent trikes, and bikes from a company called van Raam that have interesting designs and are very accessible (unsure if they have throttles, however).

Again, many thanks for the insights, opinions, and recommendations---this is one of the few forums I've been in where people seem genuinely concerned about each other, and politely yet firmly will weigh in on approaches. Thank you.

Keith,

In a prior post you mentioned that you'd spoken with the Lead Tech at your LBS. Should logic force the decision to sell, based on what I've heard locally, you should
be able to recoup a significant amount of your investment in your Trek because bikes are so scarce. You're in the drivers seat ( no pun intended ).

A big question is can your dealer locate and or provide you with the correct size e-bike of your choosing ? Fitting and size are critical as I'm sure you know.

As mentioned in my other post, check with your Dealer/Tech if gear changes are an option. technically I know it is, getting the parts may be difficult.

A quick update. I ordered a Sun Eco-Tad recumbent e-trike (ElectroTad) from Utah Trikes. I figured it's time to set aside my pride and move from bikes to recumbent trikes if I have any chance of continuing to ride.

I like Utah Trikes and they were very knowledgeable and helpful. Like Electric Bike Tech in PA, they modify the base Sun Eco-Tad with an electric kit and others mods. While they had the trike in-stock, to modify it will take 4-6 weeks, and they have a backlog of 200 bikes ahead of mine. Yikes.

I chose this etrike as my entry trike (never had a recumbent or trike before) b/c of the review on this site, reinforced by Utah Trikes, that it is a good entry level etrike ($3000 for 'entry level'). I'm excited to try it.

Thanks for the input from all of you.

I have a Pedego, and many Pedego ebike models have throttles. In fact, I learned from the CEO when we visited Pedego (my autistic son is a HUGE fan, so we went to that area for a vacation when it was cold where we live!) that they actively advocated (as in hiring lobbyists) for the US ebike class system that includes the "class 2" type of ebike with pedal assist and a throttle because of their interest in helping older people and people with physical challenges to cycle. I live in a very hilly area, and there are places where I absolutely would not be able to start without the throttle. And, of course, they are also great for people with disabilities so they can start their ebikes, or use them in case of muscle weakness, etc. Also, their first ebikes were throttle only, and the throttle only option is prefered by some people with balance challenges because the rider always knows when the pedal assist will kick in, because they completely control it.

(BTW, I have no connection with Pedego except as a satisfied customer).

I have a Pedego, and many Pedego ebike models have throttles. In fact, I learned from the CEO when we visited Pedego (my autistic son is a HUGE fan, so we went to that area for a vacation when it was cold where we live!) that they actively advocated (as in hiring lobbyists) for the US ebike class system that includes the "class 2" type of ebike with pedal assist and a throttle because of their interest in helping older people and people with physical challenges to cycle. I live in a very hilly area, and there are places where I absolutely would not be able to start without the throttle. And, of course, they are also great for people with disabilities so they can start their ebikes, or use them in case of muscle weakness, etc. Also, their first ebikes were throttle only, and the throttle only option is prefered by some people with balance challenges because the rider always knows when the pedal assist will kick in, because they completely control it.

(BTW, I have no connection with Pedego except as a satisfied customer).
I had looked at the Pedego bikes and really enjoyed them. I also like their culture. I ended up with a recumbent E trike because my MS is a long term problem and I figured I need to look at a long term solution for bikes. If my condition was stable andI knew what to expect, I would definitely have gone with the pedego bikes, especially the boomerang, which has a very low step through. Out of curiosity, does your son Use a pedego bike? Is he able to control it and enjoy it, or does he enjoy watching you ride yours?

I absolutely love the fact that E bikes have opened up an entirely new world to people who normally would not be on bikes--those who are older, or somewhat infirmed, or overweight, etc. I love seeing everybody out on bikes in our area And I think it's just amazing!

Keith,
My son loves his bike. He has about 3,000 miles on it. He doesn't have physical disabilities. His challenges with biking, though, relate to functional vision and balance. He can't really watch out for cars by looking back over his shoulder, so is reliant on cars to watch out for him. And, he isn't comfortable removing a hand from the handlebars to use hand signals.

Your recumbant E-trike makes lots of sense. I know my friends with MS also say that their challenges vary from day to day. It makes sense to pick a bike that you can ride and ride and ride!!! :)

And, about Pedego--my son loves that he can email the CEO with a suggestion and get a prompt reply, also! :)

Keith,
My son loves his bike. He has about 3,000 miles on it. He doesn't have physical disabilities. His challenges with biking, though, relate to functional vision and balance. He can't really watch out for cars by looking back over his shoulder, so is reliant on cars to watch out for him. And, he isn't comfortable removing a hand from the handlebars to use hand signals.

Your recumbant E-trike makes lots of sense. I know my friends with MS also say that their challenges vary from day to day. It makes sense to pick a bike that you can ride and ride and ride!!! :)

And, about Pedego--my son loves that he can email the CEO with a suggestion and get a prompt reply, also!
I think it's great that yr son is so excited about the bike! Do mirrors on the handlebars work for him or are they disconcerting?

@Keith Johnston
Just saw this one - a little late I know, but none the less it's good to see products being developed that would work for those with balance issues.

MX3 City Bike
Tilting Technology

The City version lists at #2600 USD
The haven't priced the Sport version

Hi Keith, I also have MS. The throttle is a god send for me. It takes away that “wobble” as you’re setting off. A quick blip to get you going and a little momentum helps no end. Try and get a go on one before you make the leap just to make sure it’s what you need. I’d say your thinking in the correct direction. Hope you get something sorted soon. 👍

I am pretty sure my wife (40 years with MS) is going to order a Mastretta MX3 City in the next couple of days.
She's dealing with someone there on a few things and will probably just go with the Hub drive unit rather than one of their mid drive ones.

It will come with a throttle and she's adding fenders and racks for her "stuff".
If she does buy one, I'll try to share some real world experience here. If she doesn't pull the trigger - I'll post an update.

I led her to it, but it will be her decision.
I have learned... ;)

Back