The Joys of MS...

Recumbent bike or a trike might better option for you since over time you may continually experience balance issues. If you don't want to consider the recumbent or trike options and want a throttle, you probably want to buy a bike with Bafang Ultra motor. GIven that the standard controller has been reported to be jerky at time with some engagement and cutoff delays, Watt Wagons UC Pro may be a better option since they come with a customer controller that provides similar feel as the big brand motors but with much more power and a throttle. Numerous forum members have already pre-ordered the bike (me included).

If you have specific questions, you can ping @pushkar who is the owner.

Way outside his budget and overkill bigtime. Just sayin'.

Maybe...but trial and error by going through multiple bikes may end up being more expensive in the long run. :rolleyes:

There are many bikes in the price range and they won't be more expensive in the long run. No need to spend 50% over budget to get what he needs. And why recommend a bike with so much power (that isn't needed)?

I recommended the UC Pro because of the controller mainly. I don't believe there are M600 or M620 motors that address the jerkiness and engagement issues other than the Archon X1 controller. For someone in his condition the inherent issues with the stock controller may be dangerous, so worth the investment. Also, the fact that it comes with Gates Carbon Drive that can last up to 10k miles, makes it a safer option. I can't imagine what may happen if the chain broke during his rides.

But you are right. It is substantially over his budget.

Recumbent bike or a trike might better option for you since over time you may continually experience balance issues. If you don't want to consider the recumbent or trike options and want a throttle, you probably want to buy a bike with Bafang Ultra motor. GIven that the standard controller has been reported to be jerky at time with some engagement and cutoff delays, Watt Wagons UC Pro may be a better option since they come with a customer controller that provides similar feel as the big brand motors but with much more power and a throttle. Numerous forum members have already pre-ordered the bike (me included).

If you have specific questions, you can ping @pushkar who is the owner.

Here are the top 2 rated Electric Recumbents and Trikes under $3K according to Court at EBR. ;)

Best Recumbent Electric Trikes of 2020
Explore all of the recumbent electric trikes I’ve reviewed (ordered by date) on the category page here.

Electric Bike Technologies Electric Eco-Tad Trike Review
  • MSRP: $2,338
  • MODEL YEAR: 2019
A tadpole trike with a focus on value as well as stability with efficient tires, recumbent seating position, and adjustments to get you dialed in. Open platform allows you to swap battery sizes, adjust the top speed and amp flow...Read Review
Affordable

Electric Bike Technologies Electric Eco-Delta Trike Review
  • MSRP: $2,108
A value-priced recumbent style electric delta trike with a lot of adjustability, possible configurations, and thoughtful considerations. Comfortable recumbent style seating, adjustable telescoping main tube, adjustable handlebar, and the seat is… Read Review

Best Upright Electric Trikes of 2020
Explore all of the upright tricycle style electric bikes I’ve reviewed (ordered by date) on the category page here.

EVELO Compass Review
  • MSRP: $3,299
  • MODEL YEAR: 2018
A heavy-duty electric trike with five levels of pedal assist, instant-power trigger throttle, adjustable top speed (the default is 16 mph for safety), large 180mm disc brakes, motor inhibitors on both brake levers. Comes with durable plastic fenders on all three wheels, a full-surround chain cover, three integrated... Read Review
Value

Electric Bike Technologies Electric Sun Traditional Tricycle Review
  • MSRP: $1,683
A value-priced sturdy style electric delta trike with a lot of strength (300lb max weight), while remaining simple and using reliable proven systems. Both throttle and cadence based pedal assist available, can go slow to walk with crowds... Read Review
Affordable

Here are the top 2 rated Electric Recumbents and Trikes under $3K according to Court at EBR. ;)

Best Recumbent Electric Trikes of 2020
Explore all of the recumbent electric trikes I’ve reviewed (ordered by date) on the category page here.

Electric Bike Technologies Electric Eco-Tad Trike Review
  • MSRP: $2,338
A tadpole trike with a focus on value as well as stability with efficient tires, recumbent seating position, and adjustments to get you dialed in. Open platform allows you to swap battery sizes, adjust the top speed and amp flow...Read Review
Affordable

Electric Bike Technologies Electric Eco-Delta Trike Review
  • MSRP: $2,108
A value-priced recumbent style electric delta trike with a lot of adjustability, possible configurations, and thoughtful considerations. Comfortable recumbent style seating, adjustable telescoping main tube, adjustable handlebar, and the seat is… Read Review

Best Upright Electric Trikes of 2020
Explore all of the upright tricycle style electric bikes I’ve reviewed (ordered by date) on the category page here.

EVELO Compass Review
  • MSRP: $3,299
  • MODEL YEAR: 2018
A heavy-duty electric trike with five levels of pedal assist, instant-power trigger throttle, adjustable top speed (the default is 16 mph for safety), large 180mm disc brakes, motor inhibitors on both brake levers. Comes with durable plastic fenders on all three wheels, a full-surround chain cover, three integrated... Read Review
Value

Electric Bike Technologies Electric Sun Traditional Tricycle Review
  • MSRP: $1,683
A value-priced sturdy style electric delta trike with a lot of strength (300lb max weight), while remaining simple and using reliable proven systems. Both throttle and cadence based pedal assist available, can go slow to walk with crowds... Read Review
Affordable

anything with one wheel in front is inherently unstable at speed. Not a good choice for someone with MS.

the first one, much more stable does not offer anything approximating a comfortable ride, either for the neck or back, and pedal slipping could also be a huge problem, among others. All these would get a hard pass from me.

anything with one wheel in front is inherently unstable at speed. Not a good choice for someone with MS. the first one, much more stable does not offer anything approximating a comfortable ride, either for the neck or back, and pedal slipping could also be a huge problem, among others. All these would get a hard pass from me.

Not necessarily... let's wait to hear from the OP before passing judgment. ;)

anything with one wheel in front is inherently unstable at speed. Not a good choice for someone with MS.

the first one, much more stable does not offer anything approximating a comfortable ride, either for the neck or back, and pedal slipping could also be a huge problem, among others. All these would get a hard pass from me.

Thanks for your input. So the Eco-Tad you believe is stable but uncomfortable? The world of recumbents (3 wheel) is alien to me, so I take all insights seriously. The EBR review of the Eco-Tad seemed positive for the price-point. Any others you might suggest?
Thanks much.

Hey Keith

Here‘s a pretty nice looking gravel style trike, brand new, that I encountered an hour ago out on a path. Owner was getting ready to go for the first ride on it. The battery is in that bag above the rear wheel... he bought it from that place I mentioned above that sells trikes exclusively.

I expect I’ll see him out there again, I’ll ask his opinion when I do, if I can catch him!

1593626178714.jpeg

Hey Keith

Here‘s a pretty nice looking gravel style trike, brand new, that I encountered an hour ago out on a path. Owner was getting ready to go for the first ride on it. The battery is in that bag above the rear wheel... he bought it from that place I mentioned above that sells trikes exclusively.

I expect I’ll see him out there again, I’ll ask his opinion when I do, if I can catch him!

View attachment 57434
That does look like a very stable bike.

There are many stable recumbents (elec). I suggest you find any dealer with one available to test (will more than likely be an non electric) and ride it just to see how they feel. It IS VERY different. Riding one convinced me not to get any recumbent. YMMV but trust me, it's not the same thing. You may think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. And if you do, that's great! But ask yourself this...how well will you be able to hold your feet up on those pedals after 30 minutes of riding. Look at the geometry. Think a year to two down the road. There are much better options out there for you. ;)

Hey Keith

View attachment 57434

How did he get it there??? Not in that car, or any car and NOT by himself. Do you have any idea how heavy that trike is? Plus...no shocks that I can see, anywhere. And my other questions still apply. Still, a nice looking e-trike.

How’d he get it there? You know, that’s a good question. When I rolled up it was right where you see it in the picture. However, there was no one else around with him, and he seemed to be operating completely out of the van. I saw him take the battery out of it to put it on the bike.

If he moved that plastic tub forward someplace, I don’t know why it couldn’t fit in there, but that doesn’t address the weight issue. I travel that path all the time, maybe I’ll find out at some point.

Out of pure random curiosity, what’s your opinion on one or two wheels in the front on these things?

How’d he get it there? You know, that’s a good question. When I rolled up it was right where you see it in the picture. However, there was no one else around with him, and he seemed to be operating completely out of the van. I saw him take the battery out of it to put it on the bike.

If he moved that plastic tub forward someplace, I don’t know why it couldn’t fit in there, but that doesn’t address the weight issue. I travel that path all the time, maybe I’ll find out at some point.

Out of pure random curiosity, what’s your opinion on one or two wheels in the front on these things?

Two wheels in front is far better! No doubt about it.

Agree that it's a good looking trike. It resembles the Electric Bicycle Tech. tadpole trike reviewed on this site somewhere. Yes, I'm curious what they feel like to ride and will take one out for a spin soon.

Jaizon, you mentioned you believe better options exist rather than the e-trike. What are your thoughts?

Also, I talked for a while today to the lead tech at my bike shop where I bought my new Trek ebike. He's familiar with my situation and I had asked him ideas on how to hack a throttle onto the Bosch Active Line Plus system simply to assist starting from a dead stop. He said he found something called a SpeedBox (https://www.speedbox-tuning.com/p/speedbox-3-0-for-bosch) that can clip into the Bosch system. It deactivates speed limiters and is activated through the 'Walk' function in the Purion display. It works with the Bosch 3rd and 4th generation systems (I have the latter) and my guy's thoughts were to use it when stopped via the Walk function so I can quickly get enough momentum to begin pedaling.

He said he reached out on their site (they're a Czech company) and apparently the speedbox chip is not noticed in the system by Bosch diagnostic tools, possibly saving the warranty.

Anyone hear of this before? It's even sold on Amazon for about $185.

Thanks much.
Keith

Agree that it's a good looking trike. It resembles the Electric Bicycle Tech. tadpole trike reviewed on this site somewhere. Yes, I'm curious what they feel like to ride and will take one out for a spin soon.

Jaizon, you mentioned you believe better options exist rather than the e-trike. What are your thoughts?

Also, I talked for a while today to the lead tech at my bike shop where I bought my new Trek ebike. He's familiar with my situation and I had asked him ideas on how to hack a throttle onto the Bosch Active Line Plus system simply to assist starting from a dead stop. He said he found something called a SpeedBox (https://www.speedbox-tuning.com/p/speedbox-3-0-for-bosch) that can clip into the Bosch system. It deactivates speed limiters and is activated through the 'Walk' function in the Purion display. It works with the Bosch 3rd and 4th generation systems (I have the latter) and my guy's thoughts were to use it when stopped via the Walk function so I can quickly get enough momentum to begin pedaling.

He said he reached out on their site (they're a Czech company) and apparently the speedbox chip is not noticed in the system by Bosch diagnostic tools, possibly saving the warranty.

Anyone hear of this before? It's even sold on Amazon for about $185.

Thanks much.
Keith

I would never give advice about using something that may or may not void your warrantee. Personally, something like that is not worth it to me. At my age I am very much risk averse. But that's just me.

It sounds like you are determined to keep the bike and find some solution. Who will install the chip? Not your bike dealer I would hope, as that would surely lead to a voided warrantee. In any case it would be a cheap solution to the issue, assuming it works.

However, I remain solidly behind the idea of getting a new bike that is made to suit your needs. I'm pretty sure this is not what you want to hear, but you asked for my thoughts.

I continue to wish you safe rides and the best of luck with whatever you decide.

Oh, I hate it when logic flies in the face of desire....!

I love my Trek, it's only a few months old, and I'm not sure the best way to sell it other than the usual CraigsList, local versions such as NextDoor, etc....

Yes, I do ultimately agree with you and am looking at other e-bike options with throttles, including recumbents, recumbent trikes, and bikes from a company called van Raam that have interesting designs and are very accessible (unsure if they have throttles, however).

Again, many thanks for the insights, opinions, and recommendations---this is one of the few forums I've been in where people seem genuinely concerned about each other, and politely yet firmly will weigh in on approaches. Thank you.

I empathize with your apparent frustration, but in the end it's only money. Experience is often costly, but if you learn from it that's not so bad. Two years ago I bought an expensive sports car. I loved it, but every time I got in or out of it it did a number on my back. I finally had to sell it (at a loss) because of the pain. Lesson learned - "You're not 40 anymore." So, you've learned your lesson about the bike. You'll move on, get another one, and if you choose correctly, this episode will soon be replaced by the joy of riding every day.

I looked at van Raam, and unless you are not describing your situation accurately, I do not recommend them for you. They seem to make bikes for people more disabled than yourself. After riding your Trek, their trikes will be a big disappointment.

It is still very possible for you to sell your bike on here for a decent price and local pickup. You could get interest from the Chicago area. And you've got nothing to lose by trying.

Back