Tern Vektron - a.k.a. "Hill Mitigator!"

Julia S

The steep hills to our house had finally defeated me over the years. I accepted that I was done dealing with hills. I hadn't been on my bike for a few years and yet I still missed the joys of riding. I read a lot of Court's reviews and tried out about a dozen e-bikes. Being a mere 5'1", I wanted something small. Court, your review sold me.

I've been riding my Vektron all summer long and have yet to meet a hill I can't easily climb and I've got some long and steep challenging hills here in Oregon. I breeze up my mile-long hill from one direction or climb up another mile-long roller coaster hill that looks like something you'd encounter in San Francisco which is even steeper. No problem. Most of the time, I drive in the lowest Eco power setting or turn it off altogether. I no longer fear hills. I can gauge how much effort I want to work that day between the 4 power assist levels and the 10 speeds.

One of my favorite features is the WALK - ASSIST feature; it gives me a generous boost while I walk my bike up the 30 yard hill to our back yard entrance from the street.

The Vektron is super quiet, and the motor matches my efforts beautifully - no lurching.

A 6'4" friend of mine tried it out - raised the seat, made a quick & simple adjustment to the handlebars and was out having as much fun as me.

I've folded it up for a few trips, and although it's a heavier for me than their videos show with a strong young guy lifting it effortlessly into the car, it's not a deal-breaker at all. It fits kind of awkwardly in my Prius, but it fits. When I arrived at night, it was nice to know the bike would be safe in my car.

I put the Tern basket on the back - you have to make sure it clicks in 100%; it came off in a good bump and my contents including my laptop went sprawling on the ground. All was okay, but I cringe when I hit a big bump.

I'm going to start a savings account for the day that the battery needs to be replaced; those are NOT cheap! Still, this bike is an absolute BLAST to ride! It's been an interesting conversation starter too chatting with other bicyclists at bike racks.

It's so good to be out riding again in the fresh air! This bike has given back to me a precious form of exercise and enjoyment.

...I put the Tern basket on the back - you have to make sure it clicks in 100%; it came off in a good bump and my contents including my laptop went sprawling on the ground. All was okay, but I cringe when I hit a big bump..

I have the rear Tern basket on my Tern Eclipse (human powered bike) and I wasn't totally trusting of the single clip so I also bungee it down to the frame. My Eclipse has bungee attachment points on the frame so not sure if the Vektron does as well. Of course if bungees are used you have to be certain they are securely attached else if you lose one you might get it caught up in your drive train. Anyway, the basket rattles just a bit but sure is handy for hauling groceries and it I haven't lost it yet!

That's a good idea... I was using a separate bungee... I could just as easily use the ones on the bike. DUH! Thanks!

Back