Talk About The Kindernay Gear System

I'd like to see the transmission built into the mid-drive motor. Something like a Pinion drivetrain? I know that sounds like a motorcycle, but there are reasons why they build the transmissions that way...

Good start, 250W motor, and 382% gear ratio range. The 382% is good enough for most current leisure or commuters riders, the 250W is limiting for me, the 70Nm torque seems pretty decent for 250W motor.

I'm looking for something in a Hub motor, but i see something like this quite interesting also.

This is the only IGH I've ever seen combined into a hub motor: https://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-kits/tdcm-igh.html

I don't think it's a popular idea due to the fact that hub motors are waning in favour of mid drive motors, not to mention the engineering hurdles. Definitely expect to see more variable transmissions in mid drives tho (at relatively high cost)
Thanks I had not seen the one at Grin I believe, will need to check the specs. I'm not sure I agree with "hub motors are waning in favour of mid drive motors", but then my bias might be too high. I see a lot of manufactures pushing people to mid-drives that would be better served by hub-motors, but I think the playing field is still pretty open. Mid-motors do dominate on the higher-end bikes, but many of those are mountain bikes. I'm hoping that begins to change, but ....

I just wanted to add that in regards to r&r of Rohloff there are quick connect options for cables so you do not need the screwdriver. The R&E bike shop here in Seattle built my Rohloff with them on all cables for a travel bike. rohloff.quick.connect.jpg

Probably not: why

A maker of Ebike components that ceases products on motors when things are exploding shows a failure to break into the industry with proper volume, I am thinking they had a poor sales team.
They should have been giving motors away to new companies like Watt Wagon to test.

GLOBAL_E-BIKE_MARKET_2020-2024.jpg

This was back in 2017. Guess it was not easy going against the Bosch behemoth (and Shimano, Brose, etc).

@pushkar one of the factors that might be interesting for people thinking about the Kindernay route would be multiple wheel sets.

I believe the max width tire is 3" on the superbike, would those fit on the stock rims or require a different rim?

Are there any wheel set options you think would be worthwhile to make use of the ability to move the hub to different wheels?

I just wanted to add that in regards to r&r of Rohloff there are quick connect options for cables so you do not need the screwdriver. The R&E bike shop here in Seattle built my Rohloff with them on all cables for a travel bike. View attachment 56774
That looks like a Rohloff Internal Gear Mech which is not compatible with Disc Brake versions. I think most ebike versions are using the external gear mech.

@pushkar one of the factors that might be interesting for people thinking about the Kindernay route would be multiple wheel sets.

I believe the max width tire is 3" on the superbike, would those fit on the stock rims or require a different rim?

Are there any wheel set options you think would be worthwhile to make use of the ability to move the hub to different wheels?

We will ship with 35mm rims (depending on the availability at the time of build) and this will support up to a 2.6 inch tire.

For a 3 inch tire, you will need a 40mm wide rim.

If I had a kindernay hub on my WWSuperbike and got a flat tire on the rear would I pull the hub from the wheel and leave the hydraulic lines attached to the hub, or are there quick releases for the hydraulic lines?

Does someone knows what is the smallest chain rear sprocket that can be mounted on the Kindernay.
I seemed to remember that info was on their site, but cant find it anymore.

Does someone knows what is the smallest chain rear sprocket that can be mounted on the Kindernay.
I seemed to remember that info was on their site, but cant find it anymore.
Clearance is very tight at 15T, so I would not recommend going below 16T.

Back