Superdelite pros and cons - Worth it the extra weight?

RMSDivine

The Superdelite seems to be the heaviest bike in the Riese Muller list. Most than anything else, this is due to batteries weight. At our age (55 & 59) we're wondering if there will be ever an occasion to ride the bikes more than 50Km per day, thus I am asking myself if there's a point of keeping the extra weight for the second battery if not used.
Makes me think about a lighter bike.... your thoughts?

Yes, RM missed the boat on the new Bosch 625 battery and put 2 500s to get range.

The delite frame won’t accept the Single 625 either. Tough spot as it will surely be corrected next year.

I am in my mid fifties, and my wife a few years older. We hadnt ridden bikes for 30 odd years and got single battery bikes (I got the 2020 Delite thinking exactly along your lines). I have run out of battery too many times now and am going to upgrade to a Superdelite. These bikes make you want to ride more often, for longer. My best advice is get the size up from what you think you will need.

Yes, RM missed the boat on the new Bosch 625 battery and put 2 500s to get range.

The delite frame won’t accept the Single 625 either. Tough spot as it will surely be corrected next year.

My bike is a DualBattery 1125 combo...

To ride 35Km on mixed grounds it takes 2hrs. How long do you ride each day? (BTW last year was with no sport activities and lockdown was the bitter end)

What I don't like is the feeling when riding over 25Kmph (when the engine kicks out) as you can feel how heavy the bike is when pedalling.
But the feeling when you're uphill is unbelievable, it'is like the bad part of cycling was removed, and this makes you appreciate ebikes!

The medium and large Deliite frames accept the 625WH battery (MY2021), the SuperDelite frames accept it in the lower battery.

I regularly ride my Superdelite 2020 well more than 50km. I will post on range later on in "my" thread but for now the TLDR: range is relative and you cannot have too much battery capacity.

The Superdelite seems to be the heaviest bike in the Riese Muller list. Most than anything else, this is due to batteries weight. At our age (55 & 59) we're wondering if there will be ever an occasion to ride the bikes more than 50Km per day, thus I am asking myself if there's a point of keeping the extra weight for the second battery if not used.
[/QUOTE I also often use 3 batteries on both of my bikes. I suggest making sure the batteries are interchangeable so you both could share a 3rd battery at least. The Chargers and Delites are heavy bikes for sure. I would suggest you consider looking at the Moustache catalogue. You can get a full suspension Moustache for the price of a hard tail R+M and it will weight less. These bikes are assembled in France . https://moustachebikes.com/en/electric-bikes/samedi-27-xroad/samedi-27-xroad-fs-7/

I went from an 11kg Brompton to a Superdelite, which weighs 32.5kg. It was something os a shock. The Superdelite is an extremely heavy bike when loading it onto a bike trailer and lifting onto a maintenance stand. However, in motion, it's the Bently of bikes. It feels so solid on the road, I am much more confident cycling on the terrible London roads and I laugh at hills. The range is unbelievable at a potential 240 Km on Eco mode.

I'd advise that if you need a bike that you have to carry upstairs to your flat or some other scenario where you need to lift your bike then buy a lighter bike with a spare battery. If you want a long-range tourer made from high-quality components the Superdelite is a wonderful bike.

I regularly pack 2 batteries in panniers. It's not what you want to have to do.
So do I and it works great using my Ortlieb back rollers. I would take this bike with 1 or 2 spare batteries over a Superdelite . If you compared both bikes (with similar tires) this one will handle better off road ,cost less and weigh less.

Last edited:
So do I and it works great using my Ortlieb back rollers. I would take this bike with 1 or 2 spare batteries over a Superdelite . If you compared both bikes (with similar tires) this one will handle better off road ,cost less and weigh less.
Different horses for different courses i guess. Bike-on.

ps... just discussing the desired battery capacity built in, or carried separately, not comparing bikes or discussing any particular bike just the philosophy or particular application there of.
00276ACF-33F7-49F3-8687-6C841A30AD98.jpeg

Last edited:
Different horses for different courses i guess. Bike-on.

ps... just discussing the desired battery capacity built in, or carried separately, not comparing bikes or discussing any particular bike just the philosophy or particular application there of.
View attachment 62489
Yes I often think it would be nice to have the equivalent of three powerpacks neatly stuffed into the optimal postion low and centered in the frame. But then again if you want to do a short technical ride you must carry the full weight which is a big turnoff in the handling department. Everything on a bike is a compromise.

When I am riding under power on my Superdelite, I don't even notice the weight, except for the solid feeling and shock absorption that I really enjoy. I ride at least half the time with NO POWER just to get the workout, and I am in my late 60s. Whenever I want the power, like up my 17%-20% hill to get home, the power is there! But I rarely go above TOUR mode. If I use power at all, it's ECO, and sometimes TOUR to cross a busy intersection. I have tried TURBO AND SPORT modes just to see what they offer. But you may find that you like to ride in TURBO all the time, and then you will want both batteries for the range. The wonderful thing is that these bikes can be whatever the owner wants them to be. I am totally happy with my SD that I have had only since the end of July. As others here have said, I am riding this thing a lot more than I ever expected I would. But the value and features are all subjective to every rider.

Yes I often think it would be nice to have the equivalent of three powerpacks neatly stuffed into the optimal postion low and centered in the frame. But then again if you want to do a short technical ride you must carry the full weight which is a big turnoff in the handling department. Everything on a bike is a compromise.
Just because the batteries are integrated it does not mean that one cannot remove some capacity. Some bikes have mutiple integrated batteries and one can be removed when not required. Sure there will always be cases where on some bike, or in some situation, one design might be better than the other that is true of many design choices.

On a bike like the super delight, and given the OPs desire to have a large battery capacity, my experience tells me on board capacity (does not have to be fully integrated) is the best way to go.

Back