SuperDelite pedals too close to ground :-/

What effect would have this on gear ratio? Wouldn't this spoil the gear ratio design?
None... no effect on gear ratios. ;)
Crank length: Forget leverage and power, it’s all about the fit | CyclingTips

For example, Inbar et al. (1983) measured the mean and peak power output for 13 subjects during a seated 30s effort using crank lengths 125-225mm.
While the authors identified an optimal crank length of ~165mm for this kind of effort, there was no significant change in power when cranks were as long as 200mm or as short as 150mm.

Martin and Spirduso (2001) essentially repeated this study with 16 trained cyclists for a 3-4s effort and five crank lengths (120/145/170/195/220mm) with very similar results.

Last edited:
None... no effect on gear ratios. ;)
Crank length: Forget leverage and power, it’s all about the fit | CyclingTips

For example, Inbar et al. (1983) measured the mean and peak power output for 13 subjects during a seated 30s effort using crank lengths 125-225mm. While the authors identified an optimal crank length of ~165mm for this kind of effort, there was no significant change in power when cranks were as long as 200mm or as short as 150mm.

Martin and Spirduso (2001) essentially repeated this study with 16 trained cyclists for a 3-4s effort and five crank lengths (120/145/170/195/220mm) with very similar results.
Empirical trumps theoretical :)

Marc

I just got my brand new Superdelite Rohloff HS on Saturday and on its maiden voyage yesterday my Shimano pedal scraped the ground on a high speed turn. It left only a minor scratch on the pedal, but it certainly made it clear to me how important it is to pay attention to pedal position on turns with this bike!

I also scraped my pedals on the first outing. I then properly pumped up the Fox shocks and have not scraped them since.

Pedal strikes can be very dangerous. The very best way to avoid them is to cultivate the habit of pushing and holding down on the outside pedal when moving through a turn. None of us are in a race so there is no need to pedal through a sharp turn and risk a pedal strike.

Yeah, but to be honest mine occurred also on uneven surfaces. Of course my sag setting might be too low, but there's an evidence in a low design... As I have written, the dealer told me he was experiencing this on his first rides and this was the reason why he shifted selling only GX models.

Torque calculations?

Not sure that would change much, based on the study FlatSix911 shared. If human power output doesn’t vary much based on the crank arm length, it is safe to assume the torque applied to the pedals isn’t varying much either. Assuming it’s actually measuring torque applied.

Not sure that would change much, based on the study FlatSix911 shared. If human power output doesn’t vary much based on the crank arm length, it is safe to assume the torque applied to the pedals isn’t varying much either. Assuming it’s actually measuring torque applied.
Bosch has a torque sensor at the other end of the crank from the pedals which it uses to determine how much energy the user is applying to move the vehicle and with calculations it in turn delivers more or less power to the motor/engine. It may be a small portion of the formula/algorithm.

Bosch has a torque sensor at the other end of the crank from the pedals which it uses to determine how much energy the user is applying to move the vehicle and with calculations it in turn delivers more or less power to the motor/engine. It may be a small portion of the formula/algorithm.
Yes, I'm aware of the basics involved here. It's more that I'm not 100% familiar enough to say that the sensor actually measures strain from torque applied, or some sort of analogue that can be assumed to be akin to torque. I'm assuming they are using something like a rotary torque sensor which should be fine, but when cost is involved, I hesitate to trust my assumptions.

But the point I made still stands. If the torque sensor is a small portion of the algorithm, then the small variation that exists based on the crank arm length matters even less. It's not got a lot of inputs into the system it can even use, and so far all the ones I'm thinking of don't really care about the crank arm length. Torque is about the only one where crank arm matters at all, but in the bike use case, it's not a big factor.

Yes, I'm aware of the basics involved here. It's more that I'm not 100% familiar enough to say that the sensor actually measures strain from torque applied, or some sort of analogue that can be assumed to be akin to torque. I'm assuming they are using something like a rotary torque sensor which should be fine, but when cost is involved, I hesitate to trust my assumptions.

But the point I made still stands. If the torque sensor is a small portion of the algorithm, then the small variation that exists based on the crank arm length matters even less. It's not got a lot of inputs into the system it can even use, and so far all the ones I'm thinking of don't really care about the crank arm length. Torque is about the only one where crank arm matters at all, but in the bike use case, it's not a big factor.
I rest my case :)

And come to think of it more, the Bosch ebike torque sensor, i imagine plays a major part in the whole system's dynamic feel, with i presume fine granularity & precision coupled with cpu & high sampling rates.

Last edited:
I rest my case :)

I'm not seeing anything related to your original question about updates required about crank arm length. So I'm left asking: what case?

Open your eyes.
Easy webcurl......

Kaiede, this is what webcurl is referring to in the first article they linked.

Quoted from linked article:

New Update For Short eMTB Crank Arms

Most riders run regular length cranks (170-175mm) but on an eMTB you tend to tackle harder climbs and the electric mountain bike allows you to navigate up rocks/obstacles etc.

With full-length cranks, pedal strikes become more apparent. This means many riders have been fitting short Bosch eBike crank arms (165-150mm) which allows more ground clearance for more adventurous riding.

The trouble with just swapping the cranks is that it alters the feedback the drive system gets. Which in turn alters the output of the motor assistance feel, torque curve and in particular the characteristics when in eMTB mode.

For 2019 Bosch introduces software updates via a Bosch eBike dealer, who can program each bike to suit the preferred crank length. This adapts the progression curve in eMTB mode and also offers increased support in Tour mode, offering maximum power up-hill.

Surprise for me as well. I would imagine it only applies to bikes with eMTB mode but the description doesn't specify.

New Update For Short eMTB Crank Arms​

Most riders run regular length cranks (170-175mm) but on an eMTB you tend to tackle harder climbs and the electric mountain bike allows you to navigate up rocks/obstacles etc.

Bosch eBike 2019 Update For Short eBike Crank Arms
With full-length cranks, pedal strikes become more apparent. This means many riders have been fitting short Bosch eBike crank arms (165-150mm) which allows more ground clearance for more adventurous riding.

The trouble with just swapping the cranks is that it alters the feedback the drive system gets. Which in turn alters the output of the motor assistance feel, torque curve and in particular the characteristics when in eMTB mode.

For 2019 Bosch introduces software updates via a Bosch eBike dealer, who can program each bike to suit the preferred crank length. This adapts the progression curve in eMTB mode and also offers increased support in Tour mode, offering maximum power up-hill.

Back