Super large panniers

Dr. G.

Dear EBRs,

I will be e-biking cross country on the Lincoln Highway in the US, a route not frequently peddled. I will be on my beloved Riese Muller Supercharger Two.

I am looking for extra large, high-quality, strong panniers as I need to carry lots of professional video equipment. I will use MIK plates both for a front carrier (Thule with a MIK plate) and on the back rack.

Any suggestions?

Greetings,

Gregory

hi, i'm looking to install a front pannier system for my supercharger II...is there a system compatible with the shocks on the supercharger???rear panniers will not be enough for any tour that involves camping...as far as panniers, the largest that i have seen are the carradice super c, a 54 liter pannier system...available at sjs cycles in england, although while researching, i saw some ortlieb rear panniers that are 70 liters, back roller pro plus

Dear EBRs,

I will be e-biking cross country on the Lincoln Highway in the US, a route not frequently peddled. I will be on my beloved Riese Muller Supercharger Two.

I am looking for extra large, high-quality, strong panniers as I need to carry lots of professional video equipment. I will use MIK plates both for a front carrier (Thule with a MIK plate) and on the back rack.

Any suggestions?

Greetings,

Gregory

Greg,

As someone who has done this, I can share some of my experience and point to certain biking gear that might help you.
You have my number, feel free to call me this weekend.

Dear EBRs,

Any suggestions?

Ortlieb makes very nice front and rear panniers which a lot of bicycle tourists swear by. You can't go far wrong starting there.

Are you planning to camp or credit card tour?

My first suggestion would be to purchase a postal scale and a small hanging scale and make a spreadsheet with all of the stuff you plan to bring and how much it weighs. Weigh it yourself because manufacturer's figures are often not related at all to reality.

You'll also need to do some experimentation because some bikes handle poorly with significant load on the front wheels, and that might effect your travel choices.

Note that it is possible with judicious gear choices and modern camping gear to live out of your bike with just rear panniers and a handlebar bag.

In general, if you are just starting out, I'd recommend thinking very hard about bringing anything not included (or equivalents) on his lists. Also, there are some good gear discussions on the touring and travel section on this site.

I carry a Canon Vixia HF R800 video camera, a GoPro Hero, and an old Sony DSLR while bicycle touring with a similar setup and haven't ran out of room. Major challenge is charging everything which limits camping options. Also I highly recommend buying and carrying a power strip with USB ports to charge things.

Another suggestion. With some engineering effort you can probably find a suitable Rando Bag that will work with the R&M front rack. Rando Bags are basically huge handlebar bags and a suitably sized one is a convenient place to store camera gear and all of the other things you'll need and want quick access to while you are riding.

hi, i'm looking to install a front pannier system for my supercharger II...is there a system compatible with the shocks on the supercharger???rear panniers will not be enough for any tour that involves camping...as far as panniers, the largest that i have seen are the carradice super c, a 54 liter pannier system...available at sjs cycles in england, although while researching, i saw some ortlieb rear panniers that are 70 liters, back roller pro plus
Yes, I have the Thule front rack. Works well.

Attachments

• PXL_20210722_193246554.jpg
    PXL_20210722_193246554.jpg
    967 KB · Views: 231
Dear EBRs,

Any suggestions?

Greetings,

Gregory
Keep us appraised of your location. Some of us live very close to it.

I'd look at Arkel:

dolphin-48-waterproof-panniers-from-arkel-web.jpeg

Or the Ortlieb Back Roller Pro Plus:

Last edited:
Another suggestion. With some engineering effort you can probably find a suitable Rando Bag that will work with the R&M front rack. Rando Bags are basically huge handlebar bags and a suitably sized one is a convenient place to store camera gear and all of the other things you'll need and want quick access to while you are riding.
Thanks so much for the suggestion.

Can second the Ortlieb panniers. These are quite capacious.
84CDD8A7-A3B2-431B-AA87-135FA53B2B9C.jpeg
31348D9D-88E8-45BB-8058-9719434DDEEA.jpeg

Thanks Diggygun. Are these Ortlieb Back Roller Pro Plus?
They are the Bike Packer Classic in Black. These are 20 litres each, but I think there are bigger panniers that they do.

The Back Roller Pro Classic are 35 litres each.

Agree completely re the Ortlieb Back Roller panniers. Rugged, waterproof, easy attachment, and 21L each capacity.

Here's my setup for "credit card" touring. 66L total capacity on a Vado 5.

Attachments

• 20200218_135754.jpg
    20200218_135754.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 184
Back