Super Commuter Version 1.1

The EX1 looks like an amazing gear system. Have you had a chance to ride one yet?

I have ridden but not extensively. Few eMTB folks I know use it and swear by it.

Ravi

How's the project coming along ?

I have requested my friend to post pictures soon. He says it would be another 7-8 days.
The project has come along really well and you should be able to read electrek.co review on it fairly soon.

Thanks Mark.
Right now, friend is designing a 3D-printed box that will go in the front triangle and it looks elegant (like the AUDI ebike battery), houses a large battery 52V, 25Ah for a whopping 1250Whr capacity. One could always use the stock 870whr (not 850!) battery for weight and cost savings. The stock battery can be switched on the go, comes with Cycle satiator charger as standard.

The first batch should be out in 2-3 weeks and I will post the pics here.

E-14 is not developed for non-Bosch motors. Also, E-14 has some kinks that need to be ironed out before it can be paired with the reputation that these hubs have garnered over the years.
Manual shifter has been refined over the last 15 years and it works pretty good and any service/maintenance can be done by a reasonably proficient mechanic. Doesn't need any extra electronics for diagnostics. One less headache from service perspective.

With a 750W motor, 10-12 gears are a complete overkill. Even Rohloff is a overkill (originally designed for pedal bikes).
So, we finally decided to spec SRAM EX1 E-bike specific cassette. it's only 8 speeds but wide range of gears carved out of a single block of metal and it's really strong and lasts significantly longer than regular cassettes.

Thanks for the reply.

I have mixed feelings about the Audi-style battery; I get about 50% more Watt hours but in a bulkier battery design. With the traditional design, I get 100% more Watt hours for each spare battery I carry, plus quicker recharging time if I bring extra rechargers. Also, I can save weight on shorter rides by carrying fewer batteries.

Are you going to offer the bike with only the SRAM EX1 and not with a Rohloff option?

Thanks for the reply.

I have mixed feelings about the Audi-style battery; I get about 50% more Watt hours but in a bulkier battery design. With the traditional design, I get 100% more Watt hours for each spare battery I carry, plus quicker recharging time if I bring extra rechargers. Also, I can save weight on shorter rides by carrying fewer batteries.

Are you going to offer the bike with only the SRAM EX1 and not with a Rohloff option?

Rohloff is the default option for now. SRAM EX will be available by June and of course the price will be lower.

The EX1 looks like an amazing gear system. Have you had a chance to ride one yet?
Ive got the EX-1 on my Ultra-powered emtb. It's a stout cassette and the only one that can handle the power of an unrestricted Ultra - otherwise the motor chews up and spits out lesser cassettes - bent my OEM cassette on the first ride when aggressively shifting. However, for a road bike with a 750w-limited motor, it's probably overkill.

I would suggest a general use commuter bike be a step thru design but you might just offer both frame styles. Also Ti seems too $$ for a commuter bike.

For low maintenance I think the Roloff or Nuvinci/Enviolo hubs and belt drive are great ideas. Those were high priorities for me but I an just a recreational rider. No chain, derailleur or gears!

It would be nice if the system were efficient as possible but this would be only a minor concern for the average commuter.

The combo of front suspension and seat suspension is a good compromise to avoid the cost and complexity of a full suspension bike. Rather then go towards an even more $$ front fork you might go the other way, i.e. minimal front suspension. For my recreational riding, a beefy front suspension doesn't seem terribly important.

You'll need all the common accessories like a rack, fenders, and a sturdy kickstand. At first my kickstand seemed like overkill, but it works fine, and the last thing you want is a cheap one that works loose over time or heaven forbid, your 60# bike tips over.

Your biggest design challenge will be how to integrate the battery package. And how to add a slick looking chain guard.

With the belt drive, how does the rear triangle disassemble for changing the belt?

I would suggest a general use commuter bike be a step thru design but you might just offer both frame styles. Also Ti seems too $$ for a commuter bike.

Very valid point. The next iteration will have many new features, including some of the things you mentioned.

Right now, we wanted to design a bike that we would like to ride ourselves. It's really in a class of its own.

SECA 1800 lumen front light,
Satiator charger,
KinectPost (body float seat),
Brooks saddle,
ABUS Bordo alarm lock,
Magura MT5-e brakes,
Custom EM3ev 880whr battery, (1250whr upgrade) [open source] , so you're not tied to any proprietary parts.
Rohloff + gates carbon drive
True 28mph motor, and
Titanium frame.

All for $5999.

I can't find another bike that boasts these features and current models are designed for people who have ridden ebikes but want the very best.

I'll share the photos very shortly.

"Right now, we wanted to design a bike that we would like to ride ourselves. It's really in a class of its own. "

That is all well and good, but this segment from "Joe Dirt" comes to mind:

The bike is gorgeous but how big could that particular market be?

Very valid point. The next iteration will have many new features, including some of the things you mentioned.

Right now, we wanted to design a bike that we would like to ride ourselves. It's really in a class of its own.

Satiator charger,
Brooks saddle,
ABUS Bordo alarm lock,
Magura MT5-e brakes,
Custom EM3ev 880whr battery, (1250whr upgrade) [open source] , so you're not tied to any proprietary parts.
True 28mph motor, and
Titanium frame.

All for $5999.

I can't find another bike that boasts these features and current models are designed for people who have ridden ebikes but want the very best.

This looks like a sweet bike... Can't wait for ride tests, and reports :)

Satiator charger,
Brooks saddle,
ABUS Bordo alarm lock,
Magura MT5-e brakes,
True 28mph motor, and
Titanium frame.

All for $5999.

This looks like a great bike. Any chance it will have a throttle and integrated rear light? I have a Bosch speed pedelec from Haibike that I love, but a knee injury that keeps cropping up is pushing me towards a throttle and I haven't found any high-end feeling mid-drives that have all the features I currently have AND a throttle.

Satiator charger,
Brooks saddle,
ABUS Bordo alarm lock,
Magura MT5-e brakes,
True 28mph motor, and
Titanium frame.

All for $5999.

Ravi,

Is this bike available for pre-order now?

Thanks

Satiator charger,
Brooks saddle,
ABUS Bordo alarm lock,
Magura MT5-e brakes,
True 28mph motor, and
Titanium frame.

All for $5999.

I agree. Fuell Fluid looks better - but this bike has better features/components. What is your take on the bofeili motor used in Fuell Fluid -1?

Ravi,

Is this bike available for pre-order now?

Thanks

yes sir!
The page should go live soon. Feel free to message me for any questions.

Rohloff hub = check
gates drive = check
BodyFloat = check
1800 lumen light = check
Throttle = check
true 28mph = check
Brooks saddle = check
Titanium frame = check
electronic horn = check
Boost hub = check
100lbs capability rear rack = check
880 whr battery = check
Satiator charger = check
ABUS alarm lock = check

Super commuter1.1.jpg

Rohloff hub = check
gates drive = check
BodyFloat = check
1800 lumen light = check
Throttle = check
true 28mph = check
Brooks saddle = check
Titanium frame = check
electronic horn = check
Boost hub = check
100lbs capability rear rack = check
880 whr battery = check
Satiator charger = check
ABUS alarm lock = check
Reading down that list, I thought cool, nice, then I get to boost hub. I thought wow, most riders I know don't even know what a boost hub is. I was just explaining to a friend a couple months ago what it meant for him that he had boost hubs on his new bike.

I guess it's a techy thing most just read past, but it's things like that level of detail that stand out to me. Not as big a wow factor as other things on that list, nevertheless wow!

Nice job Ravi!

Reading down that list, I thought cool, nice, then I get to boost hub. I thought wow, most riders I know don't even know what a boost hub is. I was just explaining to a friend a couple months ago what it meant for him that he had boost hubs on his new bike.

I guess it's a techy thing most just read past, but it's things like that level of detail that stand out to me. Not as big a wow factor as other things on that list, nevertheless wow!

Nice job Ravi!

Thank you, J.R!

That level of details does make a difference. With the Gates drive, the bike is almost silent and it is also spec'ed with Magura MT5 (4 piston, front and rear) Some more high-res pictures:

UC 1.1.jpg

UC 1.2.jpg

UC 1.3.jpg

It looks fughly with the battery pack. If it were to be integrated , it would have been a different story. This bike should have arrived 5-6years ago, now the design is obsolete. Maybe up to 3.5k for the present times.
Is just a Diy project and a A DIY ebike hobbiest will build same exact bike for much less. A used Ti frame is 7-800$ on ebay then add all the nice parts...under 3grand.

Juiced ccx goes 35mph and is 2.5grand. Same with Biktrix...

Then on the high end:

Stromer st2 , R&M look a lot better and are at same price range..

A used Ti frame is 7-800$ on ebay then add all the nice parts...under 3grand.

Have you heard of a hub called "Rohloff" ??
if you have not , I suggest you read this: https://www.electricbike.com/a-rohloff-on-an-electric-bike/

The hub itself costs $1350. Then add spokes, sprocket, lacing, wheel etc.
5 or 6 years ago, nobody used 52V batteries. it was all 36V and even now many bikes use 48V batteries, not 52V.

It looks fughly with the battery pack. If it were to be integrated

Integrated packs would be nicer but come with a caveat.
In 4-5 years, when the batteries need replacement, the replacement has to fit that specific design. Many fancy packs that we see now will incur higher replacement cost because the economies of scale is not in favor.
The design was built around the idea that battery packs should not locked down and replacements should not be a problem.

It is one of the reasons, companies like Bosch and Yamaha make their batteries backwards compatible and still use the powerpack design (mounted on the downtube).

The goal was to build tough as nails bike that would be extremely capable whether it is commuting or light touring.

Have you heard of a hub called "Rohloff" ??
if you have not , I suggest you read this: https://www.electricbike.com/a-rohloff-on-an-electric-bike/

The hub itself costs $1350. Then add spokes, sprocket, lacing, wheel etc.
5 or 6 years ago, nobody used 52V batteries. it was all 36V and even now many bikes use 48V batteries, not 52V.

Integrated packs would be nicer but come with a caveat.
In 4-5 years, when the batteries need replacement, the replacement has to fit that specific design. Many fancy packs that we see now will incur higher replacement cost because the economies of scale is not in favor.
The design was built around the idea that battery packs should not locked down and replacements should not be a problem.

It is one of the reasons, companies like Bosch and Yamaha make their batteries backwards compatible and still use the powerpack design (mounted on the downtube).

The goal was to build tough as nails bike that would be extremely capable whether it is commuting or light touring.
Yes i know about that fancy hub, the downtube batteries can have their cells replaced at anytime in the future. Same with the other design. The cells will only get better for same dimensions or smaller, meaning that they will fit in the battery case.
Is bet. 3-600$. For a new repack.
For mainstream ebikes, EVen if you don’t have another downtube battery , can buy a used one and have it repacked with new cells.
THe bike is very nice as a Diy project, but is though to sell it to mainstream customers who would otherwise buy from the established brands. Then there is the dealer issue.
How are they planning to offer dealership service ?

If it were 3.5-4k it would sell in big numbers, maybe another model can be released w/o the expensive hub. Someone who has no issues spending 6grand on it, will very likely go for any of the other 2-3high end brands.

Last edited:
Back