Suggestions for rear light/turn signals?

Spacelander

I'm looking for an LED rear light with turn signals. I want it to be permanently mounted since I hate having to pull all the accessories off the bike when I go into a store or something. Also powered by the electric system since I don't want to have to worry about charging yet another battery, so either 52v or 6v compatible. Anybody know of any decent ones, preferably under $50?

Not at your budget, but I love the idea of the Lumos helmet with lights and turn signals. Higher position for higher visibility. Some of the rack mounts can get covered with a trunk bag or panniers.

None of those fit the requirements I listed. I don't want wireless, detachable units with separate or rechargeable batteries. It's more trouble than it's worth, especially with the silicone straps that need to be readjusted every single time you take it off and put it back on the bike. I just want stuff with wires, permanently bolted to the bike, running off the main battery.

Not at your budget, but I love the idea of the Lumos helmet with lights and turn signals. Higher position for higher visibility. Some of the rack mounts can get covered with a trunk bag or panniers.
Thanks, but I don't like the idea of having additional accessories on the helmet anyway. A helmet is a very personal thing as it needs to be comfortable on your head. If one helmet was comfortable for everyone, there wouldn't be hundreds of models for sale at any given moment. And what happens if you crash? Unless you're willing to replace it with the same helmet, you'll lose that light system as well. Besides, ever see someone from behind on a bike? His or her head is usually swiveling left and right, so lights up there would be moving all over, which isn't optimal for visibility.

Maybe you should look at moped or motorcycle signals? If you find a good solution please do share it, I briefly looked and was surprised that most of the options looked like junk. I would guess anything designed for the bike market that isn't junk would cost several times your budget.

Ever see blinking lights on a bicycle from behind? I wonder if you can count on drivers to discern a turn signal from a standard bicycle blinker. Most of the solutions I've seen have the L+R blinkers too close together to count on a driver recognizing what you are signaling.

I don't disagree with your reservations about a helmet, but I do think they have much better visibility for drivers than low mounted lights on a bike. This will be about $120 shipped for the MIPs version. If it turns out to be a decent helmet, then the lights are like a free bonus.

1e89ef36d02fbbe3a4f6ba208ffd29bd_original.gif

This is the one I bought, turn signals, brake light and running light. The light has an 18650 battery that you can replace if you need. The remote lights up as well for night riding.

1591794277885.png

I am stoked to be taking delivery of my Classon Helmet by Brooklyness this week. It is a feature-loaded geek helmet: with turn signals; accelerometer for automatic brake light/crash detection; running lights; 6hrs x HD front and rear cameras; bluetooth ready integration; holes to lock it up; route guidance; and the clincher for me...rear blindspot hazard detection with indication of threat's closure speed.

96ba5abf9e797d5ea7c3f3accf5dfec6_original.gif

Maybe you should look at moped or motorcycle signals? If you find a good solution please do share it, I briefly looked and was surprised that most of the options looked like junk. I would guess anything designed for the bike market that isn't junk would cost several times your budget.

Ever see blinking lights on a bicycle from behind? I wonder if you can count on drivers to discern a turn signal from a standard bicycle blinker. Most of the solutions I've seen have the L+R blinkers too close together to count on a driver recognizing what you are signaling.

I don't disagree with your reservations about a helmet, but I do think they have much better visibility for drivers than low mounted lights on a bike. This will be about $120 shipped for the MIPs version. If it turns out to be a decent helmet, then the lights are like a free bonus.

View attachment 55001
What is that? The video seems to be just a short clip with no info...

Last edited:
That Lumos line looks very Tron-like and seems to cover a lot of the same safety/visibility bases as the Classon. Does anyone have firsthand experience? On accident survivability I also liked the Hövding 3 Airbag collar, but eventually decided, for me, the safest riding would be avoiding the accident altogether by being as bright and visible as possible to drivers, even if I look (more) like a dork. @Kathy Smith was saying she had ordered a Sena R1, that allows paired and/or grouped riders to communicate easily up to 0.5 mile apart. I like that idea too. Hopefully in next few years there'll be a nice combo of all of these features.

Lumos has been around since 2015, getting their start on Kickstarter. I've got both their previous models (Kickstart and Matrix MIPS) and am backing the upcoming Ultra MIPS. They work as promised, providing the extra visibility that I desire. Customer service is pretty good too.

OP, sorry for derailing your thread. If you post what voltage you have available from your battery/controller then you might get more useful suggestions.

@PatriciaK started a Smart helmet thread if anyone wants to continue discussing helmets.

I am stoked to be taking delivery of my Classon Helmet by Brooklyness this week. It is a feature-loaded geek helmet: with turn signals; accelerometer for automatic brake light/crash detection; running lights; 6hrs x HD front and rear cameras; bluetooth ready integration; holes to lock it up; route guidance; and the clincher for me...rear blindspot hazard detection with indication of threat's closure speed.

View attachment 55048

You get not much more than a helmet WITHOUT the MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION!!!! Thank you...no.

Spanninga has some quality COB LED rear rack lights that look like something you'd find on a fine European luxury car. They come as OEM equipment on some of the priciest ebikes. No signals or accelerometer, just a minimalist and elegant take on the classic rear rack light. I was looking into their Pimento model, which can be hardwired into an ebike's 6-36VDC...but then decided for that kind of dough, the signaling cranium lid might be better at indicating intensions.

Got this brake light and it works great and can go at least a year on 2 AAA batteries in "brake only" mode, not a big fan of turn signals as I live in Florida and no one uses them anyway LOL

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0841WCYQZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If YOU use turn signals YOU are safer and you make the streets safer. There is no valid reason not to use them, whether it's lights or hand signals or both. You're mostly right though. It's not just Florida. An amazing percentage of people don't use turn signals..

No one would use brake lights either if they weren't automatic.

Don't be stupid.

TT

If YOU use turn signals YOU are safer and you make the streets safer. There is no valid reason not to use them, whether it's lights or hand signals or both. You're mostly right though. It's not just Florida. An amazing percentage of people don't use turn signals..

No one would use brake lights either if they weren't automatic.

Don't be stupid.

TT
Stupid is as Stupid does

Hello again,

My TailGator accelometer brake-rear bike light quite on my second time (since 2022 the first was replaced after berely few month of usage), - I suspect it is a 'battery' problem on this one,.. but who knows. I did contact seller (they do have a 'life time' warranty).. just in case.. I started research of replacement for Tailgator... I'm not convinced at this point I would like spend another $79, not at least on this brand that quite on me 2nd time withing 2 years period! Any suggestons? Needs to be bright (300 lumens plus) with accelometer so it represents my hard braking while baking. Thank you!

Back