Suggestions for ebike around $1500?

The Core-5 sounds like a great choice for what you're trying to accomplish, and a terrific value. The weight is manageable, and the battery range should be fine. My Priority battery is marginally more robust, and I average 40 to 50 miles per charge. It takes a little riding experience to finesse extra miles per charge, but given your stated requirements, it should be plenty. Every bike on the market, especially at the under $2k price point, has compromises but the Core-5 balances those out nicely.

I was a member of the Ride1Up Facebook group for a while, as I almost wound up with their V2 Roadster (which probably would not have been a very good fit for me given my rural location and tendency to ride long distances) but I was impressed how conscientious and dedicated the owner (Kevin) and the staff were regarding customer satisfaction.

In short, it sounds like a very sound choice. Here are some review links. These are quite thorough:

https://electricbikereport.com/ride1up-core-5-review/

Thank you so much! That’sa lot of valuable feedback!! What do you mean by priority battery? Is it the 14ah one? And is it Possible to switch between batteries the stock one and the higher current one?

The Core 5 is a beast of a bike that I have over 5300 miles on so far, I added a Redshift stem, steel BMX clunker bars, switched out the shifter and added the Juin tech brake calipers and I love it. You can get a 14ah battery for it also from R1up if you need to but given your ride of 5 miles or so a day you won't need one.
I’ve seen so many of your posts on core-5! They’re super informative and helpful. Do you have any suggestions for protecting the battery socket when I remove the battery for charging? Also what shifters do you use?

I get scary but buying cheap and planning upgrades could well be more costly.
It’s most likely stick with the stock parts and change as and when I feel the need for an upgrade. Given that I only ride around 5 miles a day, I’m hoping it’ll be fine.

Do you’ve any suggestions on good racks and fenders?
That gets into the point I'm making. Clearly the bike has a great price, and appears to be a pretty decent buy. BUT, if you want/need them and that's a priority for you, now you get to go shopping for a decent rack and fenders to fit. Myself, I would prefer a bike that came with the rack and fenders rather than spending the time to source decent stuff. From that point, THEN I'll take over and do whatever is necessary to make it fit the rest of my priorities.

I believe Tomjasz has a good point regarding this bike.

That gets into the point I'm making. Clearly the bike has a great price, and appears to be a pretty decent buy. BUT, if you want/need them and that's a priority for you, now you get to go shopping for a decent rack and fenders to fit. Myself, I would prefer a bike that came with the rack and fenders rather than spending the time to source decent stuff. From that point, THEN I'll take over and do whatever is necessary to make it fit the rest of my priorities.

I believe Tomjasz has a good point regarding this bike.
I see the point. But given the only initial upgrade I’ll be doing will be to add fenders, the price point seems lucrative. I agree with Tomjasz but my mileage of 5 miles a day doesn’t seem to be even close to the average mileage of ebike riders.

I’ve seen so many of your posts on core-5! They’re super informative and helpful. Do you have any suggestions for protecting the battery socket when I remove the battery for charging? Also what shifters do you use?
I just put a Sunrace m4 7 speed trigger shift on but to me almost any trigger shifter is better than that mickey mouse thumb shifter. This is the cover I use for the battery in the winter and it doubles as the compartment cover when I remove the battery, https://www.amazon.com/FAHRER-Akku-...1_2?keywords=fahrer bike battery cover&sr=8-2

Thank you so much! That’sa lot of valuable feedback!! What do you mean by priority battery? Is it the 14ah one? And is it Possible to switch between batteries the stock one and the higher current one?
Sorry I wasn't clear. I own a Priority Current e-bike (brand and model respectively). I just double checked the battery and it's virtually the same rating as the Core-5. There are a ton of variables for range though. The written analysis I linked to by Electric Bike Review should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect. My size and weight closely matches the tester, and I like to ride for exercise at a relaxed speed, so I would expect to be on the higher side of their 22-46 mile estimate.
I don't know about switching batteries on the Core-5, but Ride1Up is very responsive to questions, or ask inside the aforementioned FB owners group.

my mileage of 5 miles a day doesn’t seem to be even close to the average mileage of ebike riders.
Enough for an inexpensive bike to fail. Look, a just OK acoustic bike will cost AT LEAST $500.
A properly built battery, 36V $400. A kit that will be a reliable reasonably easy build, and quality I could live with $500.
A high-quality kit at dealer cost is an easy $1000.

I'm not trying to be rude, but hey, good luck. I find it odd when those with no experience blow off every suggestion offered. Fellas like AHicks have oodles of experience and have watched these budget eBikes and their disappointed buyers for most of their time here. Me included. Now someone will always jump in and tell us the $1000 eBike has been great. @AHicks is telling you, with real experience and mistakes made just like me, to think twice. Don't be an askhole! While that may seem harsh you're getting advice from others with even more experience than I.

@harryS is the master of good budget conversions. You'll get better than $1000 factory direct should you go to a decent kit on an existing bike that fits you...

I was a poor college kid once. I bought a Schwinn Paramount in 1971. $350.00 $350 was all of my monthly VA school/living allowance. About $2,409.40 today. The two sports tourers I bought as a newly wed in 1973 were $196 or $1,282.74 in 2022 dollars.

Last post, see Dewey's post.

Last edited:
I see the point. But given the only initial upgrade I’ll be doing will be to add fenders, the price point seems lucrative. I agree with Tomjasz but my mileage of 5 miles a day doesn’t seem to be even close to the average mileage of ebike riders.
I might beat that by a mile or so on average, but I ride 7 days a week. I just like to get out and get the stink blown off (brain refresh).

Did you eliminate Espin from consideration? You'd get fenders, a rear rack, longer range battery, and lights...

https://www.espinbikes.com/collections/shop
My last post, too, until congratulations on your new bike, whatever you choose time 😁. And, you did ask for suggestions, so...

I don't mean to be "pushing my brand" of bike - but I'm thinking that, for what you said you want, your price point, what you are thinking you need to add now, and where you're going to ride, it couldn't hurt at least look at the Flow and Sport models. They also have the advantage of having REI as back up repair/maintenance shop if you run into something you can't handle yourself. I know Atlanta's got at least one in the area, as I'm a Ramblin' Wreck mom 🤣.

There's an Espin thread here, and review of the Sport (which is basically the Flow with a different frame). The only problems I've had with my Flow in the past year are a loose spoke and a little bit squishy brake lever, which Espin promptly paid to get straightened out. Customer service is important too, especially with a DTC company.

Ok done 😉.

pveer's head must be spinning from all of our suggestions. I was thinking back to my first e-bike experience back in 2008. I rented one for two days on Catalina Island, and at the time, there was all of one known manufacturer (Italian brand as I recall), with Schwinn waiting-in-the-wings. Now there are some 150 e-bike companies and counting, which makes the shopping experience so potentially overwhelming. To add to the confusion, a guy in my local e-bike group was recently touting a "Gen3 Stride" refurbished e-bike for about $900. With that said, I know nothing about this brand, except it is a step thru that looks nice for that price. https://gen3ride.com/certified-pre-owned#shopNow

I'll add one other point to the conversation, pveer. As I learned, in this tight supply market, you will not have too far to fall financially if you feel that the bike you buy isn't right for you, or you simply want to upgrade. I tried and sold two bikes prior to my Priority Current, which is a keeper. I sold one at a local charity bike sale and the other on the FB marketplace. While I certainly prefer not to do this again any time soon, the process was pretty painless, and I barely lost anything. Still, I think your Core-5 choice is a good one, and the Espin suggested by Patricia K looks very nice as well.

Last edited:
Just remember it is currently next to impossible to get parts and if you order them you will wait A LONG TIME!
I've gone to LBS and they have the parts in stock but won't sell them to me. They are saving them for their customer's repairs.
Only way I could get them was to bring in the bike, have them do the work, charge me for parts and labor!

pveer's head must be spinning from all of our suggestions. I was thinking back to my first e-bike experience back in 2008. I rented one for two days on Catalina Island, and at the time, there was all of one known manufacturer (Italian brand as I recall), with Schwinn waiting-in-the-wings. Now there are some 150 e-bike companies and counting, which makes the shopping experience so potentially overwhelming. To add to the confusion, a guy in my local e-bike group was recently touting a "Gen3 Stride" refurbished e-bike for about $900. With that said, I know nothing about this brand, except it is a step thru that looks nice for that price. https://gen3ride.com/certified-pre-owned#shopNow

I'll add one other point to the conversation, pveer. As I learned, in this tight supply market, you will not have too far to fall financially if you feel that the bike you buy isn't right for you, or you simply want to upgrade. I tried and sold two bikes prior to my Priority Current, which is a keeper. I sold one at a local charity bike sale and the other on the FB marketplace. While I certainly prefer not to do this again any time soon, the process was pretty painless, and I barely lost anything. Still, I think your Core-5 choice is a good one, and the Espin suggested by Patricia K looks very nice as well.
Damn right, I've been going mad! Its overwhelming. But I'll take my final call tomorrow.

I might have irritated a lot of you with the flurry of questions. I'm genuinely sorry about it(especially @tomjasz @AHicks ). I'm grateful for all the support/advice and a welcoming community!! I'll decide on my ebike soon and let you all know.

I might have irritated a lot of you with the flurry of questions. I'm genuinely sorry about it(especially @tomjasz @AHicks ). I'm grateful for all the support/advice and a welcoming community!! I'll decide on my ebike soon and let you all know.
No apology necessary here!!! My sole intent is not to steer you in any particular direction. I'm just sharing my experience, and the direction I might take on different calls, to allow you to make your call with your eyes open..... If you're happy, I'm happy! -Al

My last post, too, until congratulations on your new bike, whatever you choose time 😁. And, you did ask for suggestions, so...

I don't mean to be "pushing my brand" of bike - but I'm thinking that, for what you said you want, your price point, what you are thinking you need to add now, and where you're going to ride, it couldn't hurt at least look at the Flow and Sport models. They also have the advantage of having REI as back up repair/maintenance shop if you run into something you can't handle yourself. I know Atlanta's got at least one in the area, as I'm a Ramblin' Wreck mom 🤣.

There's an Espin thread here, and review of the Sport (which is basically the Flow with a different frame). The only problems I've had with my Flow in the past year are a loose spoke and a little bit squishy brake lever, which Espin promptly paid to get straightened out. Customer service is important too, especially with a DTC company.

Ok done 😉.
Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look at them too before I decide.

Back