Stuff needed for Winter commuting with Fat bike

Are you running tubeless? or anyone riding a fatty running tubeless for commuting?
No, I can't get passed the idea of flooding my tyres with goop. And then changing tyres gets even more messy as well. The one flat I have had was down to my carelessness when changing my winter to summer tyres, so I don't see the need especially when the extra weight of tubes is a non-issue with ebikes.

I have friend that won't run his tyres any other way but tubeless though.

Another key item is a good pair of glasses that block the wind like these Wiley X glasses that are a bit like goggles, available on Amazon:
http://amzn.to/1Pqo0I2

Cold air is tough on the eyes with regular sunglasses.

Another key item is a good pair of glasses that block the wind like these Wiley X glasses that are a bit like goggles, available on Amazon:
http://amzn.to/1Pqo0I2

Cold air is tough on the eyes with regular sunglasses.
Yeah, streaming eyes are something I don't appreciate and which I get just about all the time now. But I don't wear contacts so I have to live with glasses - which leaves me with the choice of wearing over googles that have to be huge by their very function, or I have to invest in some perscription wrap around biking glasses.

You can get the Wiley glasses with prescription lenses. For that you would just need to find an optometrist who carries the Wiley frames.

Yeah, streaming eyes are something I don't appreciate and which I get just about all the time now. But I don't wear contacts so I have to live with glasses - which leaves me with the choice of wearing over googles that have to be huge by their very function, or I have to invest in some perscription wrap around biking glasses.

What about some ski goggles? I purchased a pair for 4$ from the thrift store, but they definitly have better looking pricer pairs out there.

Ski goggles would be great especially for extreme cold. The Wiley glasses are probably enough for the kind of cold we get here in Northern Arizona. Most of the time, the coldest days on which I would ride would be in the high 30s or 40s. I was out early this morning with some regular sunglasses and my eyes were watering like crazy, even though it was about 45 degrees. Next time I will remember to bring my Wiley's.

Since it's pretty much pitch dark when I get out of work now, I can't ride with my terminally-hip Oakley Gascans on. So I wear my terminally-hip Mach Scbnell goggles from Portland Design Works:

81C7+lblj+L._SX522_.jpg

Amazon has got 'em for $15.00 with free shipping.
They fold and go in a groovy little drawstring bag (provided):

81Z960+H9UL._SX522_.jpg
There are ventilation holes along the bottom edge and I can windshield wipe them with the back side of my gloves. Any fogging is quickly dispelled once I get underway. Best of all, they make me look like a crazy WWII tank driver.
Allen

I don't think ski goggles will cut it for me. I would really like to go the prescription wrap-around bicyclist glasses - I think I'll look around for prices.

-9 C today and windy, -16 with the wind chill, or about 3 F. Heated jacket, heated gloves, my ski helmet, clear cycling goggles, beardski face mask.

Warm and toasty after the 10km ride in this morning.

What brand of heated gloves are you using?

How the setup looked this morning, -11 C, 12 F.

Me with my ski gear:

IMG_0317a-M.jpg

The bike with studded tires:

IMG_0314a-M.jpg

The new heated glove liners:

IMG_0324a-M.jpg

IMG_0325a-M.jpg
Sorry to go off topic but what kind of rear fender are you running? Does it work well for fat bikes? Need to find one for my ride so please let me know. Thx.

Mucky Nutz, front and rear. Super light. Working great so far. A little origami like to put together.

I might go to a rear rack though just to lose the backpack.

Back