Stromer ST3 Torx Key and Boost Function

dfgarci17

Just a FYI - Got a flat and learned the hard way the Torx key for the ST3 is a T70 which is a non standard bike part that I'd wager a majority of bike shops won't have.

Also, if anyone knows how to enable the boost function, that would be great. Looks like it's disabled not only on my bike, but I rented a ST5 in San Francisco last week and the boost function was disabled as well. Through some cursory research I've learned there's EU legislation which prohibits the boost function, but I don't believe this same legislation exists in America so it would be really nice to have..

ST3 is a T70 which is a non standard bike part

Autozone or Home depot should have it.

I would also suggest going tubeless.

Good point @dfgarci17, when i first got my 2019 ST3, I learned about the T70 and that most bike shops do not have this tool. Also, to use it, you most likely need a 1/2" ratchet (which is kinda big to be carrying around in my bag when I ride).

I ordered my T70 on Amazon and just carry my 1/2" drive, as part of my repair items. Also, I ordered a set of torx keys for all the other bolts on the bike.

The Boost function, as far as I can tell on my ST3 (no longer have) and my ST5 (currently have) is only good for pushing the bike...not for riding. If you press the power button to get the Omni-C to go to the menu, somewhere under there (probably under Bike) is the Boost menu. You can set how much boost to use by pressing the +/- keys...then when you hold down the + key for about 3 seconds....the motor will give you that assist. But like I said, it didn't seem to work for me while riding. I've read that this should work while riding, good for about 18mph, but it doesn't seem to be the case (anymore?).

On my ST5, I have sw ver 4.1.3.3.

best of luck, let us know if you figure anything new about the Boost...i'm curious about it too.

thanks.

I am not 100% but I am pretty sure it was only for the ST5 and that most likely it was for Euro spec , not as sure on the Euro spec

Does anyone know if they added staff to USA office other wise service will still spotty I beleive

Just a FYI - Got a flat and learned the hard way the Torx key for the ST3 is a T70 which is a non standard bike part that I'd wager a majority of bike shops won't have.

Also, if anyone knows how to enable the boost function, that would be great. Looks like it's disabled not only on my bike, but I rented a ST5 in San Francisco last week and the boost function was disabled as well. Through some cursory research I've learned there's EU legislation which prohibits the boost function, but I don't believe this same legislation exists in America so it would be really nice to have..

Not sure what you mean by Boost mode...
I have a ST5 purchased in teh SF bay area. I have S mode.
The rental company may have had their fleet disabled for S mode for range purposes.

Not sure what you mean by Boost mode...
I have a ST5 purchased in teh SF bay area. I have S mode.
The rental company may have had their fleet disabled for S mode for range purposes.

Boost mode is when you hold down the plus button on the power level selector, and the bike moves forward without pedaling up to 12 mph (at least on my ST2S). Basically a limited throttle which is really convenient in certain situations. Boost has been removed for whatever reason on all new models, and I believe it's because of new EU regulations.

My response was the for the S mode . I use my boost on my 2 wife's st2s for takeoffs and adjust my butt on my seat before really taking off and sometimes the last leg home , i would miss that . Also used it when I fell and broke my leg, really needed it then..less thought to USA market as their service seems to have become also...

Boost mode is when you hold down the plus button on the power level selector, and the bike moves forward without pedaling up to 12 mph (at least on my ST2S). Basically a limited throttle which is really convenient in certain situations. Boost has been removed for whatever reason on all new models, and I believe it's because of new EU regulations.
Cool didn't know that.

Back