Strange Battery Power Reading

I hadn't ridden my ST-1 Platinum for about 10 days until this evening. When I got ready to pedal and turned on the bike, I got a reading of 0% of power remaining. That was strange--I'd had it plugged in to the charger for several days, and the green charge light was lit up. I decided to pedal and see what would happen, and the bike seemed fine so I proceeded. The really weird part: as I pedaled along for about the first 2/3's of a mile the battery power indicator went up incrementally until it read 100%. I proceeded to ride 15 miles and when I returned, and would typically have a battery power reading of roughly 50%, I had 79% left.

Any idea what's going on? Not a problem really, just curious.

I've been having issues with my ST2, battery readings, system error, etc~ etc contact customer support and find a dealer to service it if its under warranty~ That's the direction that I'm heading, I didn't invest all this money on an ebike to have issues :(

There are bugs in the ST2 charging software.

Best solution I have found is to turn the bike off and wait 10 seconds prior to charging it.

Another option that always seems to work is to charge the battery off the bike. I am told that a software update is coming soon (August 2016?)

Best solution I have found is to turn the bike off and wait 10 seconds prior to charging it.

Another option that always seems to work is to charge the battery off the bike. I am told that a software update is coming soon (August 2016?)

The battery charger does not seem to connect to the battery alone, the battery needs to be inside of the bike in order to charge it. The magnet on the charger does not connect alone to the battery. Atleast that's what I've experience

Interesting...I have found that leaving the bike in the off (vs lock) position works better than vice versa. Have also found that pulling the battery, then reinstalling it seems to help (like when I was out for a 30 mile ride today and stopped; bike shut itself off as I was talking with friends, but would not boot up when I returned to finish my ride. Happy to hear that there is a software update on the books...thanks

The battery charger does not seem to connect to the battery alone, the battery needs to be inside of the bike in order to charge it. The magnet on the charger does not connect alone to the battery. Atleast that's what I've experience

The battery has the exact same connection on the end as the frame connection - you can take the battery out of the bike and charge it directly from the charger and you will find that the charging time is somewhat shorter when you charge the battery by removing it from the bike vs. charging it in the bike.

In addition, if you opt to charge the battery while it is installed in the bike it is best to turn the bike off while charging and just rely on the indicator lights on the charger for information as to the level of charge. I have experimented with three different ST2 bikes and found that there are fewer charging issues if the bike is turned off while charging. And each bike charged noticeably faster with the batter removed from the bike and hooked to the charger directly.

The battery has the exact same connection on the end as the frame connection - you can take the battery out of the bike and charge it directly from the charger and you will find that the charging time is somewhat shorter when you charge the battery by removing it from the bike vs. charging it in the bike.

In addition, if you opt to charge the battery while it is installed in the bike it is best to turn the bike off while charging and just rely on the indicator lights on the charger for information as to the level of charge. I have experimented with three different ST2 bikes and found that there are fewer charging issues if the bike is turned off while charging. And each bike charged noticeably faster with the batter removed from the bike and hooked to the charger directly.

The ST2 is alwasy on the "off" position, completely shut down before I place it on the charger. Also, I tried to charge the batter off the bike, however the connector would not connect to the charging port on the battery. Since its magnetically position, it does not allow me to connect the charging port directly to the battery...

Flip the connector 180 degrees -- because it is a magnet it will repel the connector with one alignment, flip it 180 degrees it will attract. Same thing on the connector on the bike frame -- they are identical connector plugs on both the battery and the frame.

Sounds like you need to read a manual or go view YouTube videos on the Stromer.

Flip the connector 180 degrees -- because it is a magnet it will repel the connector with one alignment, flip it 180 degrees it will attract. Same thing on the connector on the bike frame -- they are identical connector plugs on both the battery and the frame.

Sounds like you need to read a manual or go view YouTube videos on the Stromer.

Thanks for the info~ I have to admit that I haven't looked too deeply into its manual, however I have watched and research Stromer quite extensively. That's why I decided to purchase one and that's why I joined this forum to get assistance when needed and to post pro's and con's, experience, likes, dislikes, etc about my experience with the Stromer brand~ :) Thank you

I think I read on a thread that you might have been getting a few "Drive Errors" occasionally. It's a good idea to always have your battery door key with you when you ride, these systems are a bit like a computer and by removing the battery and then reinstalling it you sort of re-boot the controller and clear the errors. I have 3,000 miles on ST2 bikes, three different ones, and every now and then I will get a drive error that requires a quick battery pull to clear. It doesn't happen very often, but they do pop up sometimes. I always have my key with me, and my cell phone with the app installed just in case.

I think I read on a thread that you might have been getting a few "Drive Errors" occasionally. It's a good idea to always have your battery door key with you when you ride, these systems are a bit like a computer and by removing the battery and then reinstalling it you sort of re-boot the controller and clear the errors. I have 3,000 miles on ST2 bikes, three different ones, and every now and then I will get a drive error that requires a quick battery pull to clear. It doesn't happen very often, but they do pop up sometimes. I always have my key with me, and my cell phone with the app installed just in case.

I had made it a point to carry the bike key with me as well, I was lucky that I had the key when the computer started giving me errors. I had to remove the battery, more than 4 times until the system booted up and cleared correctly.. Have to admit that I was bit a bit worried, lol. Boy was a too far away from my house to be left stranded.... But at the end it all worked out

Back