Still looking for the right charger

gkgeiger

I still want to buy a charger for a 48v battery that will do 80% 90% and 100% charge. I know about Grin Satiator and I briefly owned a Luna Advanced charger (which I returned). Does anyone else offer one that works but doesn't cost $300 plus?

Because keeping the battery charge between 20% to 80% will give longer battery life.

Charging all the way up to 100% or draining down to 0 is hard on the battery chemistry.

I personally don't care and ride it normally. If I have to replace the battery a few months early just because I didn't take care of my battery, so be it.

I misread the post. I thought he wanted a charger that would charge at all three, which is what I did not understand.

The Luna chargers I have work perfectly for me, although I have seen the reports here that they may not be compatible with all batteries.

There are threads here from people using plug-in timers and some math to charge their batteries to around 80% or so.

The Luna chargers I have work perfectly for me, although I have seen the reports here that they may not be compatible with all batteries.

There are threads here from people using plug-in timers and some math to charge their batteries to around 80% or so.
I understand, but when I called them with the problem I was having they didn't say anything about that. They just said return it, which I did.

I have the Luna Advanced Charger. With all my Aventon 48V batteries it continuously restarts when set to 80/90%. Set to 100%, the charger shuts down properly. With 48V batteries from Juiced, FLX, Ride1Up, and Eahora the 80/90% set charging worked properly. I conclude it is Aventon BMS that is improper. I have since quit using any setting other than full 100% on my Aventon batteries. I like the Luna Advanced Charger with its 1A slow charge rate. And the XT60 connectors allowing several different charge cable connectors to work with the Luna.

Some self promoting here 🙈 but have you seen what I came up with.
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/10-diy-smart-charger-alternative.35953/
If you have basic electrical skills it's easy.
I don't know why more chargers aren't available. With the dirt cheap price of microprocessors it's not rocket science.

Short cycling at the end of a % charge with the Luna charger is an avoidable oversight.
The wording in their product descriptions always gave me some pause.

From what I can tell that charger only provides a display and does not shut down automatically at a variabile voltage or percentage. It's also a 3.6 amp output which might be too high for some batteries. Mine has a 3 amp limit and I wouldn't go above 2 amp as the matched charger sent with it provides. Unless time is critical, the best way to charge is long and slow at a lower amperage. Heat is major factor here for battery life... Which can also be a safety issue if not properly matched.
That same seller also sells this unit which seems to do what you want.
But after reading the description... I think I'll stick with my solution.

As an update do not buy this charger, to put the proper connector to the battery they cut off the old one, splice and electrical tape the new one to it. Also the wall plug that comes with it should be a polarized plug and if you plug it in one way the charger buzzes loudly and needs to be unplugged and reversed. The charger does work fine thou but needs better quality in the cabling end of things.

Got to rank right up there with the worst chicom example of chinglish. Borders on the dangerous.

As an update do not buy this charger, to put the proper connector to the battery they cut off the old one, splice and electrical tape the new one to it. Also the wall plug that comes with it should be a polarized plug and if you plug it in one way the charger buzzes loudly and needs to be unplugged and reversed. The charger does work fine thou but needs better quality in the cabling end of things.

So you have to constantly watch the display so you can unplug it at 80%... and now you have to worry about burning your house down because of shotty wiring? Who knows what other hack is internally?
I think. . . 🤮 💩

I'll add I love the sellers reply to your review on Ali' :
"Requires U.S. plug (2), 5.5*2.5 (E) output connector and 110V default is C13 plug , you change plug , surely have cut cable"
I'm especially taken by the last line "WE have done very good job , you are a bad man"

Last edited:
Yup, very poor seller! I hate to say it but it is this sorta thing that gives chinese electronics a bad name.

I bought my Satiator at a time when I was short on cash, but thought it a good investment. 6 years later it has outperformed and outlasted every other charger, including EM3ev and Luna. New versions are pretty future proof and charge up to 72V nominal. (disclaimer...we did start selling them.)

As a followup, the seller says I cut the cable but I requested a photo of a charger with the connector I ordered....Instead they posted a picture of the charger they shipped me....notice the cable spliced/taped with electrical tape:

1596851209516.png

Back