Step-Thru

Giant and Merida (who make Specialized ebikes) are two well known Taiwanese ebike manufacturers, here's a selection of step through ebikes from other Taiwanese brands.

Txmotion Tx-1
p_180327_09815.JPG

INSKEY iFamily
EFB-24F-1.jpg

JA ELady
pro_pic_20160816020407_100.jpg

Lekuma City
1806191125470.jpg

Last edited:
I always liked hydraulic rim brakes, I used them a lot when I used to compete. Just look at the leverage, only down side is they can be not too good when wet depending on the pad compound.

I was skeptical about hydraulic rim brakes until I rode my wife's Gazelle.. They are smooth, powerful and quiet.

Gazelle Arroyo, this image of the redesigned German market version for the next model year shows a suspension fork, Bosch Powertube battery is the biggest change and shifting the weight forward and center should improve handling, Purion display, the Active Line Plus motor has the same max torque in Turbo (50nm) as the Performance Line for IGH on the 2018 model. This German market version uses the Nexus 7 IGH which is a downgrade, hopefully Gazelle will continue to use the stronger wider range Nexus 8 if/when they bring this redesign to the US.
1280_UUY2zifeek31.png

Last edited:
Gazelle Arroyo, this image of the redesigned German market version for the next model year shows a dual suspension fork, Bosch Powertube battery is the biggest change and shifting the weight forward and center should improve handling, Purion display, the Active Line Plus motor has the same max torque in Turbo (50nm) as the Performance Line for IGH on the 2018 model. This German market version uses the Nexus 7 IGH which is a downgrade, hopefully Gazelle will continue to use the stronger wider range Nexus 8 if/when they bring this redesign to the US.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

According to LBS, the 2019 U.S. market Arroyo will retain the Nexus 8 IGH but otherwise be similar to what you posted above.

I was excited about the upgrade to the Bosch PowerTube battery at first, but I'm disappointed they downgraded the motor and display (especially since the 2019 model is slightly more expensive).

Gazelle sent me the specs for the US version. It will be called the Arroyo C8 and they confirmed it will have the Shimano Nexus 8 IGH, should be up on the Gazelle US website in January of 2019 and shipping in March.

I still think the Gazelles are a little frumpy looking but quality is outstanding and so is the ride. My testosterone level was just a little too high to buy one for myself so I got a Haibike but I LOVE riding my wife's Gazelle as long as no-one sees me :)

Last edited:
I still think the Gazelles are a little frumpy looking but quality is outstanding and so is the ride. My testosterone level was just a little too high to buy one for myself so I got a Haibike but I LOVE riding my wife's Gazelle as long as no-one sees me :)
I guess I must be enough older than you that I no longer care about the optics :). I love everything about my Arroyo. When I first got it, I did get a little friendly teasing from my son and a few others about having a "girls bike", but anyone who I have let take it for a test ride just comes back with a huge grin! The Arroyo is just a joy to ride.

I let a friend who's 83 ride my wife's Gazelle easy flow.. He loved it but said he'd never buy a "girls bike".. Then he watched me struggle to mount my Haibike even though I got the low step version.. he's now changed his mind and will probably be buying a Gazelle very soon.

If you cross dressed no one would know hence no reason for embarrassment.

On another more serious note, does anyone besides me use one of those clips that prevent your pants from getting caught in the chain? I haven't seen anyone else with one in years and I'm constantly being asked what it is. When I was a kid everyone had one along with a piece of cardboard and a clothespin to make your bike sound like it had a motor.

I use a thin strap of double sided velcro on my regular bike.. My Haibike has an outer chain ring guard and I haven't had any issues with pant legs caught in the sprocket or hitting the chain

I use a Ridelife elastic strap by Giant, with Velcro closure that was made for that purpose. Easy on-easy off. Does the job.

MBM Titania, uses a mid-drive motor designed and made in Cesena, Italy, by Olieds, and a 14.5ah/522wh battery from Phylion currently made in China but from fall 2019 assembled in their new battery factory in Portugal to avoid E.U. import restrictions.
1542509516184.jpeg

Last edited:
EBCO M45 (UK, Taiwan) Nexus 7 IGH & TranzX F15 front hub motor
ebco-m45-2019-electric-hybrid-bike-orange-EV343910-2000-1.jpg

For the US market, the similar frame Izip E3 Loma uses a 7-speed Shimano Tourney derailleur instead which enables the TranzX motor to be mounted on the rear hub.
16-1716154-e3-loma-2019-16074-true-black-web-profile.jpg

Last edited:
SmartMotion X-City (New Zealand, China), Dapu mid-drive, 36v 15.6ah battery, Schwalbe 27.5x2.35 Nobby Nic tires, 100mm XCM fork, 180mm rotors, Deore 10-speed. A New Zealand reviewer described the X-City as "the Landrover of ebikes".
Xcity-4.jpg

Last edited:
MS-Ebike Carrie 2 (China, Japan) - a 36v, 250w, Class 1 pedelec using the new Vinka VK17 mid-drive (with torque & cadence sensors), Mono-shock fork & seatpost suspension, Nexus 8 IGH & Rollerbrakes
201806011555279589.jpg

Back