Step-Thru

Orbea Optima. Uses the same EbikeMotion x35 geared hub motor (40nm) and 6.9ah battery as on the Orbea Gain road ebike, weight is 18kg/39.6lb which is lightweight for an ebike though the discrete battery can't be removed from the bike for charging. Source: https://www.orbea.com/us-en/blog/urban-lightness-orbea-optima-orbea-gain
J390TTCC-XH-SIDE-OPTIMA_X35_E40_USA.jpg

Last edited:
Norco Scene VLT, Shimano Steps E6100 motor, 500wh battery
scene-vlt-blue.png

Montague M-E1. Montague make folding bikes with full size wheels. Their Paratrooper model is popular for converting among the DIY ebike community. Until now their official ebike models were conversions using all-in-one hub motors, Copenhagen Wheel in the US, Zehus in the EU. Now Montague have announced their first purpose built ebike and it is a step-through! Equipped with the Shimano Steps E6100 mid-drive motor, full size 700c wheels, folding handlebar. The bike can be supported by the kickstand when folded, and pushed or pulled along by leaving the handlebar up when folded.
Montague-M-E1-eBike-open-1600.jpg

Montague-M-E1-eBike-Folded-1500.jpg

Last edited:
Timmermans Creme Cruiser. A Dutch bicycle enthusiast Teun Timmermans takes vintage and classic design bicycles and repurposes them into custom e-bikes. This Creme Cruiser is a Gazelle Omafiets step-through frame extensively modified to incorporate a Panasonic mid-drive, Nuvinci CVP hub, belt drive, modern disk brakes, Brooks saddle and grips.
Creme%20Cruiser%202.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of nice colors! How come in the US all we seem to get is a choice of asphalt or blacktop?

Lots of nice colors! How come in the US all we seem to get is a choice of asphalt or blacktop?

It's cheaper to just have a choice of 2 or 3 colors. You could powder coat it and apply decals if you want something brighter. Smaller builders like WorkCycles in the Netherlands can offer the full RAL palette.

Well, yes, of course I know it's about the economics of production. Henry Ford taught us all that a hundred years ago. I'm just grousing wistfully.

Well, yes, of course I know it's about the economics of production. Henry Ford taught us all that a hundred years ago. I'm just grousing wistfully.

I like how some colorful accessories or contrast color parts/rims can brighten up a dull frame. I like playing with the Mission Bicycle builder to mix and match colors.

Last edited:
Actually , in the U.S. , step throughs are often offered only in girly colors , as if real Amurcan men dont ride them .
Also they’re often only offered sized for the smaller rider .

Mostly it's the invisibility of asphalt colored bikes I object to. But also, who hasn't had a dream bike in a particular color that they really hankered for when they were a kid?

Bianchi's new Lif-E line of ebikes include these step-through's. It's unclear which of these models will be available in the US, or if Bianchi USA will just import the e-Road bikes - currently just the Aria e-Road model with the eBikeMotion x35 hub motor appears on the Bianchi USA website. Bianchi's Lif-E range includes 17 models with at least 4 different mid-drive and 2 hub drive motor systems. If Bianchi decide to import the T-Tronik e-MTB models with the Bianchi Central Motor Unit mid-drive that would make it possible to also bring over the Long Island step-through with the same motor. The Shimano Steps system is distributed in the US which opens the possibility of the Luxury model as well. The "eGoing system" on the Active model resembles a Bafang M400 mid-drive and battery and has the same 80nm torque rating so it's probably just rebranded. The e-Spillo Classic and City are budget models with a basic hub motor and cadence sensor so probably for Europe only.

Long Island (Bianchi Central Motor Unit 80nm)
YPB7ZI2A_01-900x630.jpg

e-Spillo Active (eGoing/rebranded Bafang M400) mid-drive 80nm)
YPBT9I4D_01-900x630.jpg

e-Spillo Luxury (Shimano Steps E5000 mid-drive 40nm)
YPBT5I1D_01-900x630.jpg

e-Spillo Classic (e-Going front hub motor 28nm)
YPBT3I1D_01-1-900x630.jpg

e-Spillo City (e-Going front hub motor 28nm)
YPBT1ISO_01-900x630.jpg

Last edited:
Trek's new MY2020 Allant+ line launched with a wide range of models including:

Allant+ 8 Stagger (Bosch Performance Speed)
AllantPlus8Stagger_20_30198_A_Primary

Allant+ 7 Low Step (Bosch CX, not listed on the Trek US or Canada websites so its unclear if this model will be sold in N America or if Trek would rather direct American step through customers to its Bosch Active Line equipped Verve+ lowstep and Electra Townie & Vale Go! models)
AllantPlus7Lowstep_20_30464_A_Primary

Last edited:
2020 Momentum VIDA E+

Nice Class 1 ebike, and good to see Giant evolve their Momentum brand to include ebikes. The upright geometry, low step-through, absence of fenders, and wider tires remind me of the Norco Scene and Specialized Roll Low-Entry, and I like the IGH and downtube integrated battery. The pricing is a little off though, for $100 less you can get the Giant LaFree E+1 equipped with an upgraded Nexus 8 IGH (the Momentum Vida has a Nexus 7), belt-drive, and commuting accessories including lights, rack, and fenders. Giant are also releasing a Class 3 Momentum model the Transend, and with that model I'm unsure if on a Class 3 speed pedelec the Shimano Nexus 7 IGH would work as well, I would have thought they would spec the stronger Nexus 8, note that Biktrix last year tried a Nexus 7 on their Class 3 Stunner model before switching to a Sturmey-Archer 5.

Momentum Transend E+
MY20TransendE+LDS_ColorA.jpg

Last edited:
Cube Kathmandu - 4th gen Bosch CX, choice of 500wh or 625wh powertube battery.
331262E_light.jpg

Kettler Familiano (Germany), Bosch dual battery.
mz3BYR6a.jpeg

Johansson Oscar-S (Germany), a new EU brand of tilting cargo trikes and bakfiets, Brose Drive C motor, front suspension, LED headlights on each front fender, and a wide variety of different types of wood, aluminum, or thermoplastic boxes, cargo platforms, or remarkably even an adapter to attach an entire Burley child trailer or Nikimotion stroller onto the front, see p.22 in their brochure.
GI2fQjpVSrW09COEK4Vkvg.jpg

Last edited:
New budget step through's

Swagtron EB9
EB-9-4.jpg

Swagtron EB10
eb10-004.jpg

Pashley ebikeshare. 168 of these bikes will be produced for the City of Edinburgh’s “Just Eat” Bikeshare scheme available from spring 2020. Uses a Continental Prime mid-drive [Correction: this bike does not use the Continental Revolution Nuvinci integrated motor/CVP system] . This is the first purpose designed ebike manufactured by Pashley, also some of their cargo pedal bicycles the e-P2, e-Pronto, and Classic No.33 models can be specced with an electric assist option converted with the Pendix mid-drive Kit motor.

image.jpg

Image copyright, The Scotsman

Last edited:
Pashley ebikeshare. 168 of these bikes will be produced for the City of Edinburgh’s “Just Eat” Bikeshare scheme available from spring 2020. Uses a Continental mid-drive with an integrated Enviolo CVP on the bottom bracket. This is the first ebike manufactured by Pashley.

image.jpg

Image copyright, The Scotsman

Just Eat??!!
Works for me!

Back