Step over or step through for men?

shotgun233

As a 74-year-old male in pretty good shape, I am venturing into e-bikes. I have pretty much made up my mind on a Specialized Como 4.0. But, I am having a hard time deciding if I want a step-through frame or the step over frame. The step-through makes a lot of sense to me, (especially long term) but when I look at one, it reminds me of a girl's bike. Are men riding step-through e-bikes? Am I just being an old fuddy duddy (or worse, showing my insecurities)?

Ride them both I have a step over. Make sure you get your right size.
Notice that the top tube slopes down.

Attachments

• IMG_0779 2.JPG
    IMG_0779 2.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 874
  • IMG_0780.JPG
    IMG_0780.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 1,003
I’m looking for a step through for my fiancé. They make them in guy colors now. As you age, it’s harder to swing your leg over a step over than you’d think. And you’ll be stopping and going in traffic, don’t forget.

Go with what you want shotgun. What others think is immaterial. I'm 62 and have a hardtail eMTB, but I would have zero issues buying a step through if that met my current lifestyle.
Riding is what's important, not what your ride looks like.:cool:

My 17 year old and my 60 year old both have step-throughs. :) S has a Pedego Interceptor and H has a Pedego City Commuter. Both are very happy with their bikes. :) Step-throughs aren't "ladies" bikes any more!

Do test ride the bikes you are considering, as "step through" can mean a variety of different heights. Getting a step-through that's a height that's very easy to handle (even maybe a bit low for you) may mean that you can use the bike longer as physical abilities change with aging.

I ride a nice City Commuter with a step thru frame. I got tired of crushing my testicles on those ridiculous top bars, now, no more crushed testicles :)
I’d say the bike is not sized correctly for you if you are crushing testicles. I stopped doing that by age 12. Personally, they look like girls bikes to me. At 66 I can’t swing a leg like I used to. So I either push off with a foot on a pedal and swing over, or just tilt the bike way over to get on. Flat footed, I have clearance over the top tube.

Haibike has "high step" frames and "low step frames" but no step thru... I chose the "low step" frame and I'm happy with it as it's pretty easy to mount but when I ride my wife's step thru Gazelle, it's so easy to mount and dismount I sometimes wished I'd bought one of those instead.

I ordered one for my dad and he wanted a step-through specifically. I think other than frame strength, there is nothing wrong with step through. Check most people in netherlands ride such e-bikes regardless they are male or female.
And I loved that specialized one. If I can save enough I will buy one for my self too;)

Oh man who started this whole "step thru = women's bike" trend in North America???

If you look at Walmart website for example, the step thru are marketed as women's bike.
I feel like it's getting a lot better now, for example Specialized now categorizes step thru as "comfort" bike, not "women's" bike.
Trek also lists step thru as "urban & commuter" and their "women's bikes" are now road bikes and MTBs that are slightly smaller in size.
But step thru is still gendered towards women/girls in North America.

Meanwhile in Europe and Asia, nobody thinks step thru = women's bike. Because this trend is only in America and Canada.
Men ride step thru all over the world except in USA/Canada because they're very practical, comfortable and great for commuting.
I have no idea why or who thought it was a good idea to label them as girls/women's bikes?
Didn’t it start like 120 years ago?:) Mankind don’t change easily.
You’re absolutely right about a lot of men riding step thru in Europe but at least in Sweden there is still a lot of advertising where the step thru is called women’s. Not just the traditional wave frame but also more modern step thru.
In the early 70’s the Mixte frame grew as unisex alternative but I think that frame design is much much older than that.
Looking at specialized.com I see that they can’t really decide what to call the frames or perhaps they’re in a process of change. There are Men’s and Women’s Vados but also Step-Through. The Como’s are called Low entry.
I, of course, ride a manly men’s frame Vado:D

I ride a step through Riese & Muller Homage. At 68 I can still swing my leg over the seat, but with a large trunk bag, I sometimes catch my foot on it. Unfortunately I can imagine a time when even getting over the saddle might be a struggle. Even now the step through makes getting on and off the bike so much more civilized. If I am wearing "dress casual", going out for dinner or to a meeting, the step through make so much sense.

Don't worry what others think about you, if you knew how in frequently they did so, you wouldn't bother doing so.

I ride a step thru Magnum Metro. Problems with arthritis but I can still sorta swing my leg over and like Alaskan I sometimes catch the rack bag. My manual bike is a Reid (Aus) stepthru. IMG_6034.JPG

At 72, I can still swing my leg over my Trek MTB but who knows how long that will be the case. I bought a step thru ebike as insurance. Considering what I paid for the ebike, I want to be able to ride it for many years.

These days, I see many men riding step thru's on the trails I frequent.

I ride a step thru Magnum Metro. Problems with arthritis but I can still sorta swing my leg over and like Alaskan I sometimes catch the rack bag. My manual bike is a Reid (Aus) stepthru. View attachment 34765
I had a fall this morning (again) because I was starting my bike across an intersection at an awkward angle and my heel caught on the chainstay. I have an emtb but I think my next bike will have to be a step through, as I’m just not as coordinated as I used to be and will need to get off and walk the bike across the street more often.
Luckily, nothing was damaged but my dignity.

The only reason you do not want to get a step-thru is because you're worried that people might judge you or perceive it as women's bike.

You obviously know which bike is better for you. The step-thru is way to go. It's a lot more practical and enjoyable to ride.

As Toomanycats mentioned above, knowingly purchasing a wrong bike could be a safety hazard. I'd take his post as an advice.
Otherwise, every time you go for a ride, you will have a constant reminder (the upper frame tube) that you made a wrong choice.

I see more and more men are riding step thru because people are starting to use bicycle or ebikes as a commuter.
It's too bad how we made this gender thing on the bicycle for step thru bikes.
I’m a she, so I’d be great with a step through no matter what- I’ve no pictures, so it’s not apparent. And I didn’t realize it at the time because Adrenaline kicked in and I wanted to get the heck off the road and all the drivers who were gawking at me (a couple did ask if I was ok). Now my ankle bone is swollen up because I banged it good when I fell.
You know what looks more embarrassing than a step through bike? A broken wrist, or collarbone, or broken elbow.

Back