Step over or step through for men?

I beg to differ. I'm 67, and I still mount a bike as I did as a kid. I put my foot on the pedal...give the bike a push, and swing the leg over....while standing on the pedal. I do the same when I dismount....just in reverse.
That basket will be a hinderence, but I see no problem swinging my leg over it.
I mount my wife's step through the same way.
I'm 77, and can still mount a high bar bike. I bought a step thru as insurance against the day when I can't. E-bikes are expensive and I want to be able to use it well into the future.

Ride whatever works best for you.

Well guys,
I have a new Juggernaut Ultra Duo 4 Step Thru,
being shipped to me, should be here in about 7-8 working days.

I bought this bike, so I could stop or reduce fracturing the family jewels, and stop the pain of swinging the leg over a tall seat, even as old as they are (78 yo) every time I stepped off into a low spot while trail riding, and stop the pain of swinging the leg over a tall seat, every time I had to stop. The Wart Hog is about 2" too tall, unless I am VERY careful and plan my stops etc.

The new Jugg 4 bike has a 17" step over height, instead of swing a leg over a 41" tall seat. This new bike should be very close to the Wart Hog, just easier to get on and off.

I also got the extended battery, so I can compare the total mileage per charge to the WH. I am averaging 80-120 miles per charge with the WH, I hope the Jug 4 will be roughly the same.

As an added benefit, it has a Uart 620 motor that I can program to the spec's I want and it will fit my bike carrier with no problems.

I just now have to get extra mirrors, Front/Rear baskets, 2 extra camera mounts, better head/tail lights, suspension seat post, (have an extra seat), build/add the Garmin GPS shelf and turn signals/stop light/tail light combo.

Now watch the weather turn to )(*&^%# and I won't be able to ride for the next couple months. We have had several days that are around 50+* and little winds, been a little on the cold side (-5* so far), but very enjoyable for riding, for me.

Ride whatever works best for you.
^^^ this. I'm 61 and still can ride my preferred 'normal' style of frame, but I recently gave an ebike to a close friend who is having health issues. He's only a few months younger than me, but he was barely able to get his leg over the top tube, and when he tried to get off the bike he fell down. A sobering thing to see, and he's not overweight. I've known him since he was in high school and I was barely a college student.

A step-thru would have been ideal for him and would have allowed him to reach his goal of light exercise that he can parlay slowly into something more.

Forget about everything else. Find a way to stay active and ride.

Just as a repeat of what I said in my previous post.
It makes all the difference when I step my foot on the pedal, give the bike a push an go, and then swing the leg over....while the bike is freeing along.
I find it difficult...and uncomfortable to swing the leg over while the bike is at a stand still.

It makes all the difference when I step my foot on the pedal, give the bike a push an go, and then swing the leg over....while the bike is freeing along.
I find it difficult...and uncomfortable to swing the leg over while the bike is at a stand still.
Same, and I got a dropper post to assist at stops.

I ride both types and have never bothered what the other people would say (they simply do not care).

1707551301414.png

My first full size bicycle (when I was 11) was a heavy low-step steel folder. It was stolen after 10 years of my use. It was not easy to buy a good bicycle in Poland in 1970s, so everybody was riding what they could get.

1707552159199.png

Folder e-bikes were made popular in my country in that era by the TV series "Being Forty" where a popular actor was riding a folder bike to commute to work even if the movie hero was a big company director :)

I have gone through several bikes during my youth, including a step through bicycle, and eventually ending my cycling adventure with a steel road bike for many years to come. After the hiatus. my next bike was a high-step one until my medical condition of legs developed. All I said until now was to stress I have never been concerned about the bike type as long as it served its purpose, that is, riding it.

I mount any of my e-bikes (a High-Step and a Step-Through) the same way, that is stepping over the top tube. To begin the ride, I stand on one of the pedals, give the bike a push with the other leg and now I can be pedalling.

If anyone says a Low-Step or a Step-Through bike is a girly thing, I can only say I am sorry for that person. As many girls ride High-Step bikes as many men ride low access bicycles. Especially, we e-bikers can ride what we want and what is convenient to us!

Last edited:
A bit narrow in view... as this may be easily done on flat, even pavement.. But that's not always the case where/when I ride. And then there's the dismount to consider under similar conditions.
I can easily swing my leg over, i just prefer not to.

Last edited:
As I did as a kid, the traditional way to mount a bike, I still do that from time to time, but only if there are no other riders close to me. But often, I ride with groups and we’re very close to one another when taking off from a stop light, for instance. Most of us straddle the top tube when we stop and take off.

A bit narrow in view... as this may be easily done on flat, even pavement.. But that's not always the case where/when I ride. And then there's the dismount to consider under similar conditions.
I can easily swing my leg over, i just prefer not to.
No worries...your view counts.....😉
All i'm saying is what I do...I mean that's what we're doing here....right?
Flat pavement is easy yes. On a bit of a up hill I just do it faster...the swing I mean.
Dismount...? I love the dismount...under any circumstances. With my last pedal I swing the leg over...stand on the pedal and free to my stop.
What do you find difficult with the dismount?

But often, I ride with groups and we’re very close to one another when taking off from a stop light, for instance. Most of us straddle the top tube when we stop and take off.
True. I then have to tilt the bike 45° to swing the leg over...I hate it.
Yeah I straddle to...or put the foot out...preferably on a culvert 😄

Last edited:
I delivered tens of thousands of evening newspapers on a 3-speed boy's bike back in the early 1960's as a pre-teen in SoCal. I would usually start off by having my left foot on the left pedal, kick-pushing the bike into motion, then just swinging my right leg over.

That was then, this is now. So easy to just put my right leg through the opening on my Lectric XP2.0st frame, getting on the cushy saddle, and just going. What a comfortable difference in 60 years!

And I really couldn't care less about "girl" and "boy" bike designations, and in fact I think the whole societal attitude about such things has radically changed over the decades.

Another factor is that we've been very fortunate over the years regarding finances. It's interesting that, now that we have savings, I don't worry much about other opinions on a lot of topics.

And I really couldn't care less about "girl" and "boy" bike designations, and in fact I think the whole societal attitude about such things has radically changed over the decades.
try imaging a gal or guy getting on an adult etrike with a top frame tube or even a halfway up reinforcing frame tube.

Back