Step over or step through for men?

I ride both types; and like them both. The step-thru is definitely easier to mount, but the frame on mine is not as rigid as the step-over. What is more important is the distance from the top bar of the step-over to the ground. If you have to come off the seat at a stop there is a strong possibility of crushing the jewels. With the step-thru, if the seat to ground distance is too far you will have to hop off to stop or risk falling over because of the heavy bike weight.

Which type makes you look cool? Nowadays, it doesn't matter. ;)

I'm getting older, but I'm still swinging my leg over that seat. I can see the day though, where I'm going to want to ride, without the risk of a low speed crash while doing that!

A step through for older guys (such as myself) is more practical, but I couldn't get myself to consider a "girl's bike". I still remember guys taking flack for riding their sister's bike back in the 50's and 60's. I either tilt the bike or take it to a near by car stop so I can stand on it while mounting the bike.

I have a low step (not a step thru) Haibike and I've been teased about it being a girls bike. The top frame tube is much lower than a typical mens bicycle so no fear of crushing the stones if I have to get off the seat coming to a stop. When I ride my wife's Gazelle easy flow step thru I can feel the frame flex a little. That top frame tube adds a lot of stiffness and I'm MUCH more confident going fast on my Haibike than on the wife's Gazelle

A step through for older guys (such as myself) is more practical, but I couldn't get myself to consider a "girl's bike". I still remember guys taking flack for riding their sister's bike back in the 50's and 60's. I either tilt the bike or take it to a near by car stop so I can stand on it while mounting the bike.

Anyone wanting to give me grief for riding like a girl can try keeping up with my daughter

Attachments

• F162801D-6A4B-4D0A-9A95-BD5BAB7EFEBD.jpeg
    F162801D-6A4B-4D0A-9A95-BD5BAB7EFEBD.jpeg
    340.5 KB · Views: 546
Anyone choosing a bike based on what the perception of gender appropriate design was back in 1960 USA instead of what works best and is most practical, needs to man up and take a fresh look at what design of bike is most practical...and what it actually means to be a man. This conversation is getting beyond silly.

I am 67 and bought a step thru. I still habitually swing my leg but I can see the day that the step-thru will come in handy. Keep in mind these bikes are heavy, mine is about 60#. If you are going to be carrying stuff a lot on the rear rack, then step thru makes a lot of sense.

Attachments

• new bike.jpg
    new bike.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 444
Anyone choosing a bike based on what the perception of gender appropriate design was back in 1960 USA instead of what works best and is most practical, needs to man up and take a fresh look at what design of bike is most practical...and what it actually means to be a man. This conversation is getting beyond silly.

I basically agree but I don’t think that what you say means the original post by shotgun233 is silly.
And I don’t think you imply that.
A lot of us are more traditional ( conservative?) than we generally want to admit ( or realize) and we often do what we”re used to do.
This discussion is silly because we know there shouldn’t be a need for it today but it’s not just fed by male insecurities but also manufacturers insecurities.
Let us see this conversation as a way to spread information on modern step through frame technology as it is safe and strong.
And the fact that the step through e-bikes makes more people get out and ride.

Gender appropriate! A 71 year old male who also does the grocery shopping. It’s a fluid society these days. I don’t care how young, you would need to be amazingly flexible to swing your leg over this basket.
1561897522766.jpeg

Last edited:
I chose to convert a Breezer Downtown step through for my daily commute because I can’t lift my leg over panniers, my backpack in a rack-top mounted basket, and all the crap I haul on the back of the bike. I didn’t think twice about riding a step-through when I did a newspaper delivery round as a boy because it was practical to be able to hop on and off as I went about my business, the same reason I like riding Bikeshare step-through’s to commute to work if my Metro train ride craps out again. I like riding my vintage Raleigh Sports diamond frame because I don’t carry anything when riding it, and the 26” wheels make it easy for me to hoik my leg over it. Ride what works for you, a bicycle is a tool, we don’t have a ladies hammer?!

Last edited:
At my age, I don't really care when I get a little friendly teasing about riding a "girls" bike. Like others have said in this thread, I am not as agile and coordinated as I used to be and sometimes I get a sharp hip pain if I try to swing my leg over the seat. I am glad I went for the step thru Gazelle.

Some of the posts on here bring out the angry woman in me. It's as if being a woman is something to avoid--we must always be second class citizens.

I guess I own all manly bikes. Maybe I better get rid of them.

Oh, the whole "girl's bike" label, as explained by my mom in the 1960's, is that there was no bar across so we could ride wearing dresses. We weak little girls had to wear dresses to school, even in the winter. In winter we could try to keep legs warm by wearing "leotards"under our dresses. Yup, we were delicate and inferior. We were told to always let the boys win, don't be too smart, etc. That isn't the case anymore, and I like hearing that style of bike called a step through, as it is one.

That isn't the case anymore???? LOL... You do know who's president and what political party is in control now right? :)

Some of the posts on here bring out the angry woman in me. It's as if being a woman is something to avoid--we must always be second class citizens.

I guess I own all manly bikes. Maybe I better get rid of them.

Oh, the whole "girl's bike" label, as explained by my mom in the 1960's, is that there was no bar across so we could ride wearing dresses. We weak little girls had to wear dresses to school, even in the winter. In winter we could try to keep legs warm by wearing "leotards"under our dresses. Yup, we were delicate and inferior. We were told to always let the boys win, don't be too smart, etc. That isn't the case anymore, and I like hearing that style of bike called a step through, as it is one.

It starts right in the childhood.
Girls are supposed to wear Pink colored dresses and it is so hard to find non-pink gifts for young girls. I recently tried to find a gift for my niece and wow! the rows are filled with pink-colored everything.
Naturally, these kind of stereotypes become part of the societal norms. Pink is girls, step-thru is for girls, they are supposed to be so so... Reminds me of this video...

Back