Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

Igor: First of all -- long time no see, friend! It's good to have you back!

The factor that made your data misleading was the Apple Watch, as it has no idea how much of energy you actually input by pedalling. Your e-bikes know that precisely.
Best regards, Stefan. you make an immense contribution to this topic.
Yes, the data is contrary to what I feel when riding these two bulls. Let's go like this, I make the same route with Vado SL, with the fact that I will transfer the data to Strava with MC (BIKE). I provide the data.

Yes, the data is contrary to what I feel when riding these two bulls. Let's go like this, I make the same route with Vado SL, with the fact that I will transfer the data to Strava with MC (BIKE). I provide the data.
Also use the data of MC in Specialized "Ride" app (@mschwett can explain how to do it). For an experiment, use 35/35% assistance for Vado 6.0 and 70/70% for Vado SL. You might get surprised!

Saddles :)

I have standardized on Selle Royal Respiro Moderate saddles on my both Specialized e-bikes. No bad word on these saddles!

However, I was curious what would have happened if I swapped a Respiro for the stock Specialized Bridge Sport saddle on my Vado SL. As I managed to lower the handlebars as low as possible for that e-bike and I typically wear chamois on my rides, it was an interesting experiment. Guess what?

The Bridge Sport is now as good as the Respiro! Or even better! It is because it is narrower and not chafing my thighs. Chamois and thick Respiro padding together used to put stress on my perineum, and that's not the case with the Bridge Sport! Yes, the Respiro is better for casual shorts or trousers. However, Bridge Sport is far better for chamois shorts or bibs because of less sweat/moisture accumulated!

What a surprise!

Last edited:
A few weeks ago, I adjusted the Eco mode on my Vado SL from the default 35% boost to 20%. The main aim was to make me work a little bit harder and, hopefully, get a bit fitter as I didn’t need the 35% boost most of the time. I have done several rides since up to 55 km, and only resorted to Sport mode on a couple of hills. Not surprisingly, the battery consumption has reduced and is consistently below 1% per kilometre compared to somewhat over 1% per kilometre previously. I am happy with the new setting but I can always go back if needed in the future, and the higher boost modes are available at the touch of a button.

A few weeks ago, I adjusted the Eco mode on my Vado SL from the default 35% boost to 20%. The main aim was to make me work a little bit harder and, hopefully, get a bit fitter as I didn’t need the 35% boost most of the time. I have done several rides since up to 55 km, and only resorted to Sport mode on a couple of hills. Not surprisingly, the battery consumption has reduced and is consistently below 1% per kilometre compared to somewhat over 1% per kilometre previously. I am happy with the new setting but I can always go back if needed in the future, and the higher boost modes are available at the touch of a button.
What Max Motor Power % setting are you using?
I was trying to set the my Vado SL for 20/20% for "snail rides" with slow traditional cyclists. As my leg power input is very small, I heard the motor "hesitating" whether to assist me or not!

I have standardized on Selle Royal Respiro Moderate saddles on my both Specialized e-bikes. No bad word on these saddles!

However, I was curious what would have happened if I swapped a Respiro for the stock Specialized Bridge Sport saddle on my Vado SL. As I managed to lower the handlebars as low as possible for that e-bike and I typically wear chamois on my rides, it was an interesting experiment. Guess what?

The Bridge Sport is now as good as the Respiro! Or even better! It is because it is narrower and not chafing my thighs. Chamois and thick Respiro padding together used to put stress on my perineum, and that's not the case with the Bridge Sport! Yes, the Respiro is better for casual shorts or trousers. However, Bridge Sport is far better for chamois shorts or bibs because of less sweat/moisture accumulated!

What a surprise!
Nothing is better than Brooks , just saying . :)
But I understand ; they're not for everyone .

What Max Motor Power % setting are you using?
I was trying to set the my Vado SL for 20/20% for "snail rides" with slow traditional cyclists. As my leg power input is very small, I heard the motor "hesitating" whether to assist me or not!
The max motor power is set to 100%. In reality, this doesn’t make any difference to me as my goal is not to maximise range. I think I would have to generate something like 700 W in Eco to get max power from the motor, which isn’t going to happen. Based on virtual riding on FulGaz, I can generate about 140 W for reasonable periods which would result in about 50 W motor power.

The SL Range Extender #4

Yes, I bought the fourth Range Extended as of yesterday. The price has increased greatly since Autumn 2021: It was US$350 then and it is US$480 now (I paid a discounted price equivalent to US$450). The same batch of Range Extenders as delivered to the LBS in November last year!

I had a reason. Just discovered that to be on par with a group of strong gravel cyclists I needed 80/80% of SL assistance. (Sometimes, as much as full Turbo could be necessary!) Let us call a single RE charge as "a unit". The main SL battery is two "units". In Turbo mode, the unit is good for 18 km. Six units make it 108 km minimum range. I could ride for 130 km (81 miles) on my big Vado using 818 Wh at the equivalent full power assistance of 40/40%. Now, my SL rated capacity of all batteries I own is 960 Wh. I do not need to worry anymore!

Now, I always mount a RE on my Vado SL for long rides. This leaves the extra 3 RE's to be transported. It is 3 kg (6.6 lb). I can manage it!

What a surprise!
Thanks for the comments on the Bridge Sport! I’ve been looking at other saddles that have a larger cut out to protect my senior perineum. While doing the research I’ve also been adjusting the bike and my riding position and have found that my issues aren’t as significant. The Bridge saddle is actually comfortable if everything else is set up appropriately.

Thanks for the comments on the Bridge Sport! I’ve been looking at other saddles that have a larger cut out to protect my senior perineum. While doing the research I’ve also been adjusting the bike and my riding position and have found that my issues aren’t as significant. The Bridge saddle is actually comfortable if everything else is set up appropriately.
I was on a 37 km ride today on the Bridge Sport saddle. On two or three occasions I was murmuring "the Respiro was better..." and then was forgetting about the saddle again! :D

I was on a 37 km ride today on the Bridge Sport saddle. On two or three occasions I was murmuring "the Respiro was better..." and then was forgetting about the saddle again! :D
I ditched the Bridge Sport when I had perineal issues after having a renal stent rather painfully removed and got an SQLab, which I like. But up till then it worked well for me with or without padded shorts and now that I’m healed up would probably still be fine. I’m hanging on to it.

As I promised, I made the same route with Vado SL, with the fact that I downloaded the data from MC. In the extension, a comparison with different data sources (Strava first, MC second).
Remark;
the distance differs in 0.3km,
caloric expenditure at the end of riding on TCU I read 670?

Attachments

• Snimka zaslona 2022-09-08 090223.png
    Snimka zaslona 2022-09-08 090223.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Snimka zaslona 2022-09-12 123504.png
    Snimka zaslona 2022-09-12 123504.png
    74.9 KB · Views: 106
caloric expenditure at the end of riding on TCU I read 670?
Correctly. The TCU and Strava take the same rider's energy input but have to divide the value by the human body thermal efficiency, which is an arbitrarily selected figure. Strava assumes different human body efficiency than the TCU/TCD.

If you would like to compare kcal for Vado and Vado SL, always compare the data using exactly the same data source.

I have not got much time to ride recently. My work etc.
The more I can appreciate my short (4.4 - 7.6 km) night rides for essential grocery shopping; I do the shopping at 24-hour petrol stations. Of course, it is Vado SL as it is always ready to ride.

What I could notice was:
  • The nights seem to be windless here now
  • I need to ride slower for increased safety. The speed feels higher when you ride at night, even with street-lights and the good Lezyne headlight.
What I found was the 35/70% assistance was totally sufficient for such short night rides. The extra benefit is very small Range Extender energy consumption (I use the Range Extender as the sole energy source on short rides to not to increase the charging cycle number for the main battery).

Wahoo Auto Pause Work Around

I have been using Wahoo Bolt on both my Vado SL 5.0 and my Roubaix. I really like that the Wahoo displayed all the data for the E-bike but it would not auto pause like it does when used on my Roubaix. I contacted Wahoo as was told it was a "known issue". Ok, well here is a work around for those of you using Wahoo on Specialized E-bikes.
1. Turn on the Wahoo
2. Start the ride BEFORE turning on your bike and connecting to the Wahoo
3. Turn on your bike and ride. Auto Pause would work normally.

I discovered this by accident when pausing my ride to get coffee and turning the bike off. When I started my ride again the auto pause feature was working. Hope this makes the Wahoo more satisfying for those of you using it.

Attachments

• IMG_2493.jpg
    IMG_2493.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 104
Wahoo Auto Pause Work Around

I have been using Wahoo Bolt on both my Vado SL 5.0 and my Roubaix. I really like that the Wahoo displayed all the data for the E-bike but it would not auto pause like it does when used on my Roubaix. I contacted Wahoo as was told it was a "known issue". Ok, well here is a work around for those of you using Wahoo on Specialized E-bikes.
1. Turn on the Wahoo
2. Start the ride BEFORE turning on your bike and connecting to the Wahoo
3. Turn on your bike and ride. Auto Pause would work normally.

I discovered this by accident when pausing my ride to get coffee and turning the bike off. When I started my ride again the auto pause feature was working. Hope this makes the Wahoo more satisfying for those of you using it.
Thank you!
For a couple of weeks now Wahoo activates Auto Stop normally for my Specialized e-bikes. It must have been a device software update that you might have missed?

I pretty sure the Wahoo is current but not so sure about the Vado. Ive heard from another European user who has no problem as well.
Scott, the software in my Vado and Vado SL has not been updated for a long time. However, I was using Roam and Bolt v2 alternately and had no Auto Stop for many months. Now, Auto Stop started working out of nothing! No reason! I update both the Companion app and the Wahoo firmware regularly though.

I've owned my Vado SL 4.0 for almost a year now. Even stock it was great fun to ride, and now with all of my upgrades it is my preferred daily commuter and grocery fetcher.

Upgrades:
Rokform stem-mounted phone holder for navigation
Kinekt suspension stem
Headlamp mount adapter (clips onto handlebar front clamp, since the factory headlamp attaches to the stem)
Kinekt suspension seat post, drilled by factory to allow tail light cable routing
Brooks Cambium C19 saddle, wide flare with centre channel cut
Ergon 4L grips
Burley rear axle with attachment bracket for a trailer

Next up on the upgrade list, Specialized range extender!

Attachments

• 20220222_231639.jpg
    20220222_231639.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 20220222_231453.jpg
    20220222_231453.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Back