Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

So I swapped out the Nano 40s for some GravelKing 43s. I wasn't sure they'd fit, guessed the front would be ok because the SKS Speedrockers front guard doesn't go under the fork bridge. But the rear seat stay bridge always looked tight with mudguards. Well it fitted fine. Maybe the tyres, which are definitely chunky and wider then the nanos, are not taller. Anyway I was delighted. I'd been thinking for a while of getting 650B wheels, but bluntly the costs and hassle were putting me off. Though thanks to e levity's brilliant looking 650B "Gravel Queen" which showed that the Vado SL could indeed do rough stuff, and recently on this thread AdmChr's beautiful yellow number with Pirelli Cinturato Gravel H 700x42c really inspired me, so figured it was worth revisiting, even if I had to dump the mudguards for the summer. Result.

Thing is I ride back roads, farm lanes, narrow Devon lanes and off-road on ancient bridleways and forestry trails. A mix and match as I trundle around Dartmoor. It's probably 70% tarmac, but as DiggyGun mentioned, in UK the roads seem to getting shockingly bad, and these remote farm lanes are covered in potholes and granite sand (or mud in winter) with frequent flooding. But they are fun fun fun with very few cars.

I need a Land Rover but I was never drawn to the full fat big motor e bikes, loving the Vado SL's speed, lightness, nippiness and of course the main point is for me to get fit and over the last year and a half the bike has really helped.

I've only done 2 rides (11 miles & 26) on the panaracers but Jesus Christ Almighty these tyres make a huge difference. I think it tips the bike over from capable road bike to MTB. The tyres create that downhill fast confidence like I was on my mtb. It feels fast and bombs along.

On the flats and particularly on smooth tarmac it's fine and feels fast - might be a bit sluggish on long straights in comparison to the Nanos, but not so I'm bothered or (so far) have noticed much. I have relatively few smooth flat roads anyway and I tend to cycle alone so I'm not needing to keep up with a fast paced chain gang for instance.

It's early days but I'm really excited by these tyres and the difference they have made to the Vado SL. The 25 miler I rode the other day was a typical loop with steep climbs and descents and a couple of 20% bridleway descents that where total rock gardens and yet the bike felt so comfortable heading down. Though if I do much more of that kind of thing I'll need a dropper post! And more brake pads.

I'll report back after a month or so. It's like having a new bike.
IMG_1184.jpeg
IMG_1185.jpeg
IMG_1188.jpeg
IMG_1189.jpeg
IMG_1212.jpeg
IMG_1203.jpeg
IMG_1216.jpeg
IMG_1201.jpeg
IMG_1200.jpeg

I swapped out the Nano 40s for some GravelKing 43s. I wasn't sure they'd fit, guessed the front would be ok because the SKS Speedrockers front guard doesn't go under the fork bridge.
I ran those GravelKings, though I think 50mm, on my Vado 5.0, and they are great tires. I was running them tubeless and had the pressure too high one day, and the rear tire blew of the rim going about 18 MPH. It was like a shotgun blast, scared the holy hell out of me! Luckily I got the bike stopped and there was no damage.

Those Speedrockers, are the easy to install and remove? I've been looking for a solution I can install easily if I'm expecting rain. The only thing I need protection from is rain coming vertically off the tire and into my face.

The Specialized “Ride” app is the only way I have found to see details (post-ride) of the motor power data that MC obviously collects. Record ride with MC, view it post-ride with Ride. Don’t use Ride to record it, you won’t get much info that way.

yes, this is correct and strange, i always found it very interesting that MC was recording and displaying the motor power data during the ride, but had no way to view it. “ride” is useful to view it.

I ran those GravelKings, though I think 50mm, on my Vado 5.0, and they are great tires. I was running them tubeless and had the pressure too high one day, and the rear tire blew of the rim going about 18 MPH. It was like a shotgun blast, scared the holy hell out of me! Luckily I got the bike stopped and there was no damage.

Those Speedrockers, are the easy to install and remove? I've been looking for a solution I can install easily if I'm expecting rain. The only thing I need protection from is rain coming vertically off the tire and into my face.
Yes, easier then full mudguards anyway. Still a bit finicky the first time, just seems a strange way with all the velcro, seems flimsy, but a year and a half and 2 winters later they are still on. After the first time they are pretty straight forward. I leave them on because the weather is so changeable here. That blowout would have killed me!! Just did another 20 miler, 2500ft climbing and loads of really rocky bridleways. So comfortable. Loving the gravel kings.

After riding my new SL, I am happy making the switch from my Turbo Levo Comp. Love the lightness and agility of the SL. The Future Shock 1.5 smooths out the Texas chip seal rides here. I removed the fenders/ rack for the time being and will soon go with tubeless gravel worthy tires. I have zero complaints with the new ride. Most of my rides here in Texas are done around 8:00 pm when the temperature is below 95 degrees F or very early morning. Looking forward to getting back to Colorado in the cooler weather.

20220613_204201.jpg

After riding my new SL, I am happy making the switch from my Turbo Levo Comp. Love the lightness and agility of the SL.
Similar impressions after comparing my rides on a Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro and the Vado SL 4.0 EQ. While the Giant was excellent in hard terrain, it was just hopeless on the pavement. For some reason, riding the Giant was making me very tired. (I can remember my last Trance ride very well: it was just 100 km on the pavement, gravel, and off-road, and I returned exhausted). While I feel energetic after completing a similar ride on the Vado SL. True, I need to use Range Extenders and apply high assistance to match my gravel-cycling buddies but I can do it!

After riding my new SL, I am happy making the switch from my Turbo Levo Comp. Love the lightness and agility of the SL. The Future Shock 1.5 smooths out the Texas chip seal rides here. I removed the fenders/ rack for the time being and will soon go with tubeless gravel worthy tires. I have zero complaints with the new ride. Most of my rides here in Texas are done around 8:00 pm when the temperature is below 95 degrees F or very early morning. Looking forward to getting back to Colorado in the cooler weather.

View attachment 125931
Beautiful ride!!

Can anyone recommend a good set of pedals to replace the stock SL set. Something comfortable that work well with regular sneakers on 15-30 mile rides. Thanks.
If you don't mind metal traction pins, CrankBrothers Stamp 1 are excellent pedals, also available in Large size. Race Face Chesters are similar, only these come in one size. Both models can be ridden in sneakers. If you, however, are afraid to scratch your calves and shins (it happens with traction pins sometimes), have look at Race Face Ride pedals that have plastic traction molds.

I have found a picture from my Vado SL demo ride of June 12th, 2021 (which started this thread).

1655369907607.png

As it is today, I regret I hadn't asked about possibility of buying that demo e-bike. I love the colour now even if I disliked it then. (The demo e-bike was sold to someone else anyway). I'm sure I would get a nice price! The headlight was not in order but I would have repaired it. Of course there would be some trouble to install a suspension seat-post and a rack... Oh, well! :)

If you don't mind metal traction pins, CrankBrothers Stamp 1 are excellent pedals, also available in Large size. Race Face Chesters are similar, only these come in one size. Both models can be ridden in sneakers. If you, however, are afraid to scratch your calves and shins (it happens with traction pins sometimes), have look at Race Face Ride pedals that have plastic traction molds.
+1 for the Stamps. I’ve been using the Stamp 7 on all my bikes for the past several years and love the grip, as well as the large size (with my size 13 feet). I have the Stamp 1 on my SL4 and can’t tell any difference.

New owner of Vado SL 5.0 (Brushed Aluminum). Debated a lot between v4 and v5. Definitely wanted front suspension, more upright, better TCU, and better gearing to tackle Seattle hills so $1k overspent to land v5.

Going to use as is before doing any mods. List I have gathered so far:
- Saddle to Body Geometry Gel
- Redshift suspension seat-post
- kickstand and helmet (Align II)
- Strava directly from Mastermind

New owner of Vado SL 5.0 (Brushed Aluminum)
Going to use as is before doing any mods. List I have gathered so far:
- Saddle to Body Geometry Gel
- Redshirt suspension seat-post
- kickstand and helmet (Align II)
- Strava directly from Mastermind
Congrats! I think you'll love your SL 5.0. Did you get the stock kickstand with your bike?

Back