Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

Should I add kickstand to the list? It will mostly be in garage at home, bike stand at work or riding.
The reason I asked was that mine came with a kickstand. Love having a kickstand. With my Specialized Levo Comp (no Kickstand), I had to lay it on the ground while riding or find something to lean it against. That was a pain and wasn't good for the bike as well.

Part of the reason why I took the Bennies, half the cost.
80% :)

more upright
How so? The frames are identical for the same size in 4 and 5!
Congratulations!

Should I add kickstand to the list? It will mostly be in garage at home, bike stand at work or riding.
The kickstand came together with the EQ... Specialized should be able to offer the kickstand designed for the EQ version.

With my Specialized Levo Comp (no Kickstand)
Kickstands never come with true MTBs...

New owner of Vado SL 5.0 (Brushed Aluminum). Debated a lot between v4 and v5. Definitely wanted front suspension, more upright, better TCU, and better gearing to tackle Seattle hills so $1k overspent to land v5.

Going to use as is before doing any mods. List I have gathered so far:
- Saddle to Body Geometry Gel
- Redshift suspension seat-post
- kickstand and helmet (Align II)
- Strava directly from Mastermind
Pretty much the same additions I've made. I tried a Selle Anatomica seat but it didn't suit my anatomy (for sale if any interested) and I went back to the Selle Royal Respiro from my Vado 4.0. Sidestands are a must IMO and I installed the Redshift post that was also on my old Vado. I've done the "direct" Strava upload (which is actually done by Mission Control -- not the Mastermind itself), but only when I didn't happen to have my Garmin Edge on the bike.

Also IMO, the extra gearing and especially the Microtune feature are part of what makes the 5.0 worth it.

About time the left remote gets replaced with grip autotune and right one with grip shift :) . Oh well IGH solves half so now only AutoTune with manual override

Vado SL 5.0 non-EQ
Kickstand was not included
Computer stem mount not included

Just finished first ride:
- Can lock/unlock bike using phone
- Smart ride mode is really good. Can ride for hours without changing power mode or gears; just pedal
- Auto upload to Strava was nice
- Love the pathfinder tires
- Love the clean look without any clutter on cockpit, fenders, rack, bags, bottles etc.
- Futureshock is smooth
- Changed stock saddle to Body Countur Gel and I can live with it
- Didn’t feel need for suspension seatpost yet so going to try without
- Grips feel good compared to v4 so again going to try keeping them
- Lights are bright and good spread. Wires in the front block some
- Simple bell is simple but works
- Comfortable with high step and diamond frame looks neat like any other road/gravel bike
- Stealth look if you can hide TCU
- Motor noise isn’t an issue until you climb hills or go on turbo
- No auto-turn off after timeout. I locked the bike and left only to see that lights were on.
- Did ride over hills and gravel it’s unbelievably smooth and natural

Overall super delighted on Vado SL
7DFBFF2C-43A7-4B98-80C8-08BCA2CFD7B7.jpeg

Vado SL 5.0 non-EQ

- Smart ride mode is really good. Can ride for hours without changing power mode or gears; just pedal
- Love the clean look without any clutter on cockpit, fenders, rack, bags, bottles etc.
- Futureshock is smooth
- Comfortable with high step and diamond frame looks neat like any other road/gravel bike
- No auto-turn off after timeout. I locked the bike and left only to see that lights were on.

View attachment 126124
Glad you like your Vado. Nice looking bike.

Vado SL 5.0 non-EQ

- Futureshock is smooth

View attachment 126124
I have one of these for my Creo

I agree - nice looking bike. Enjoy

Good catch Stefan. I just noticed that as well. Here's a pic of my derailleur.
Yes, but you're on an intermediate sprocket in that photo. The derailleur has to cover a big 11-50 tooth spread. I'll have to check mine today to see the position when on the 11-tooth vs the 50-tooth. In any case, I assume that the chain as shown in the original post is what was installed at the factory.

Yes, but you're on an intermediate sprocket in that photo. The derailleur has to cover a big 11-50 tooth spread. I'll have to check mine today to see the position when on the 11-tooth vs the 50-tooth. In any case, I assume that the chain as shown in the original post is what was installed at the factory.
I didn't think about that.

rochrunner: Good thing I'm not a bike mechanic! Oh well. Here's my derailleur in another position similar to waghmare's posted picture.

20220617_085401.jpg

Last edited:
The derailleur has to cover a big 11-50 tooth spread.
I could be wrong :) Indeed, these cassettes are huge!

1655477496680.png

12th gear on a 11-50T cassette. The derailleur is not totally horizontal!

1655477615486.png

In the granny gear (50T). That length of the chain ensures proper tension in any gear.

Last edited:
I could be wrong :) Indeed, these cassettes are huge!

View attachment 126147
12th gear on a 11-50T cassette. The derailleur is not totally horizontal!

View attachment 126148
In the granny gear (50T). That length of the chain ensures proper tension in any gear.
Compared to my bike, the bike in your photos has probably had one pair of links removed. Like the others, mine is almost horizontal on the small cog and more vertical than the above photo when on the big cog.

Back