Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

How would you guys organize your full frame bag if you could build it up from scratch?

Attachments

• Frame bag - cardboard.jpg
    Frame bag - cardboard.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 120
It has been an important city for a long time indeed. From antiquity to medieval times. It lost its influence over time. Nowadays, it's well know for its yearly jazz festival in July. You usually get the sunset when the first band starts playing while you're seated on the stones of the ancient theater. Quite an experience.

Congratulations!! It's an incredible bike as the title of the thread suggests correctly. That said - there are some of us that haven't upgraded a thing and love the SL. Think this way, Specy worked hard on this model with expert bike engineers with plenty of experience contributing to it's design. It was tested and put through focus groups and some great components chosen. Sure, to keep the price down, there is some sacrifice but just because some components aren't the most expensive - they're still very good. Want to really get your money's worth? Then leave the bike as it is and enjoy it that way. Finally, I think folks immediately look to change components just to make the bike their own - different then the rest. But that can be done by adding a bag or something as simple as putting a sticker on the frame. I say keep it the way it is. The way the experts that you paid a lot of money to decided it should be. And have fun!!
I completely agree the Vado SL 4.0 is built ready to rock and anyone thinking of buying it should do it and ride it out of the store as-is. You’ll probably not change one thing. It is that great.
(said the guy who made some minor comfort changes to his blue and white Vado SL 4.0 EQ now dubbed “El Greco” — The Greek)

I completely agree the Vado SL 4.0 is built ready to rock and anyone thinking of buying a should do it and ride it out of the store as-is. You’ll probably not change one thing. It is that great.
(said the guy who made some minor comfort changes to his blue and white Vado SL 4.0 EQ now dubbed “El Greco” — The Greek)
Blue and white? I'd be glad to see that!

I need a bit of assistance here I guess.

I have paired a Garmin Edge Explore with the SL 5.0 and get speed, cadence, assist level (1/3/5), as well as battery level transmitted nicely.

I am on the lookout for the power in watts that the rider and/or bike deliver. I think the bike transmits that via ANT+, at least I seem to remember that somewhere in the last 65 pages I read this. However, I can not get the power displayed. Is it a limitation of my Garmin? I have not tried the original TCD so far but the manual states it displays power, and since it's all just ANT+ it shouldn't matter which display you use at the end...

If you have connected all three sensors (E-Bike, Speed/Cadence, and Power) then you would find the rider's power datafield. Garmin requires connecting all three sensors (Wahoo just needs E-Bike). Besides, only the Rider's Power is transmitted as the e-bike power is irrelevant to your workout.

Thank you Stefan,

I think I will disconnect and reconnect the Garmin later today to make sure I got all sensors.
I had the same problem with my Creo and Garmin 1030+. I did finally get all of the SEPARATE sensors added and it now displays the various values.

I need a bit of assistance here I guess.

I have paired a Garmin Edge Explore with the SL 5.0 and get speed, cadence, assist level (1/3/5), as well as battery level transmitted nicely.

I am on the lookout for the power in watts that the rider and/or bike deliver. I think the bike transmits that via ANT+, at least I seem to remember that somewhere in the last 65 pages I read this. However, I can not get the power displayed. Is it a limitation of my Garmin? I have not tried the original TCD so far but the manual states it displays power, and since it's all just ANT+ it shouldn't matter which display you use at the end...
The Edge Explore does not have a power sensor. One of the reasons it provides a great value if you don't need it. I bought one last year mostly for the larger screen/color map and knowing it didn't have the power sensor. There is a Garmin app that will display power but I found it to be somewhat unreliable - plus it does not integrate as well with garmin connect. I still use my 1030 for recording ride data and the explore just for the map. The Explore does have an e-bike sensor and that is all you should have to pair with the bike to read cadence/battery %/assist level. There is an option to have a dedicated ebike display screen as well.

Thank you Nubnub, that explains it.

So if I want the full functionality, I should use the TCD and just take the Edge Explore for the map/nav when needed?

Replying to myself here:
Did a test ride to work with the TCD and the Garmin (not connected to sensors) just for the map. Had the Mission Control App running to track the ride.
Both the Garmin and MC uploaded identical tracks to Komoot (was unsure if the phone GPS would be as accurate as the Garmin's), so I deleted the app from the Garmin and will probably only use it as a map from here on. The TCD fits into the whole SL philosophy so nicely.

Just because I'm a bit slow: if I don't start a ride with the MC app, I don't get anything recorded, right?

On the Settings screen on MC, there’s a button for Auto Start Active that will start rides for you. If that’s off and you don’t manually start a ride, you won’t get anything - other than the bike odometer increasing, as long as the power is on, regardless of assist level.

Replying to myself here:
Did a test ride to work with the TCD and the Garmin (not connected to sensors) just for the map. Had the Mission Control App running to track the ride.
Both the Garmin and MC uploaded identical tracks to Komoot (was unsure if the phone GPS would be as accurate as the Garmin's), so I deleted the app from the Garmin and will probably only use it as a map from here on. The TCD fits into the whole SL philosophy so nicely.

Just because I'm a bit slow: if I don't start a ride with the MC app, I don't get anything recorded, right?
Here’s a way you can see both rider power and motor power in an analysis after you finish a ride:
Use Mission Control for your ride. You can just run it with your phone in your pocket, or on your bike if you want to see the data during the ride (I just keep it in my pocket).

Now download the Specialized “Ride” app. When you open it, it will get your mission control data from all previous rides. Open the previous ride you want to see and it gives you lots of rider power data, along with average motor power, cadence, speed, etc. To get more power details, click “Analyze Ride” and you’ll see a map of the ride that graphs whatever metric you choose fromm the “Show” menu. This includes motor or rider power. You can drag a slider through the entire ride to see the power used at any point.

The Specialized “Ride” app is the only way I have found to see details (post-ride) of the motor power data that MC obviously collects. Record ride with MC, view it post-ride with Ride. Don’t use Ride to record it, you won’t get much info that way.

Or use the Blevo app if your bike uses the older, pre 2022 TCU. It shows all the above and a lot more, plus it‘s much more user friendly to scroll through a ride while viewing the data. You have to choose between MC and Blevo for recording a ride, you can’t use them together.

Back