Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

Wonderful!
Now fancy why I stopped riding on my big Vado (no suspension fork) in rough terrain. The bike's too heavy!

📷
3E02AA11-4E09-4CAD-AD90-C0964BE29104.jpeg

61112052-E615-46ED-9B13-62FD25FA6151.jpeg

Hello,

I have a question about TCD?
When starting the TCU, should the TCD be switched on automatically? Or with the launch of the bike to activate the TCD?
In both cases, the TCD does not start, but I need to start it manually by pressing a button.

I need to start it manually by pressing a button.
This is how the wireless TCD works: you need to press a button. TCD will remain active as long your SL bike is on. If you switch the e-bike off and restart, your daily trip meter will remember the data.

Think of the wireless TCD as a bike computer, not a wired display.

I rode 25.5 miles today with my Tuesday group and used only 7% battery with Microtune. I also rode 8 miles or so at 0% and was amused when my range estimation readout got up to 400+ miles. But that's not why I posted.

The major new thing I discovered was how this bike does in very rough conditions. Wrongly assuming that it had been graded by now, we took an alternate segment along a couple of rural dirt roads that in places turned out looking like they'd come under mortar fire! There were few smooth paths through the mess and no way to occasionally avoid hitting some sizable potholes and washboarding. I can report that between my Redshift seatpost and the Futureshock + carbon forks in front, my SL 5.0 did very well. I did get up on the pedals a few times in the worst sections, but I was pleased that the bike generally went through there without the type of jolting that I used to get on the much heavier Vado 4.0 with its ineffective forks. The lighter weight of the SL was also appreciated when trying to zigzag through a field of potholes. Overall I couldn't be more pleased with how the bike performed, and that was definitely the worst conditions I hope to ever face on it!

Another "first" was hitting 32mph on the paved downhill road when we came off of the dirt. It was the first time I've shifted onto the smallest cog, but I'm not sure of my cadence since at that speed it's not a good idea to look away from the road!
I didn't really like using microtune on my recent rides. I was using either 35 eco or 60 sport most of the time. Then this past weekend I was riding my SL 5.0 with my son, who was on my old Cannondale Quick Carbon 2. He's 20 years old. I found Microtune really helped keeping my pace similar to his. Somewhere between 40-60% seemed to help me be about the same speed as him.

The interesting thing is that I tried a bunch of different things over a 30 mile ride. My % ended at about 45% battery at the end of the ride. The entire ride, the mileage remaining was somewhere between 25-30 miles. I guess computer can't calculate that well. Probably not a good idea to rely on that stat.

The entire ride, the mileage remaining was somewhere between 25-30 miles. I guess computer can't calculate that well. Probably not a good idea to rely on that stat.
Just bear in mind you would get reduced assistance below the 10% of the battery, and hardly any assistance below the 5%.

Hi Vado SL friends,

I'm new to this thread and am still making my way through all your wonderful posts! In the meantime, I thought I'd post my brand new 2022 Vado SL 4.0 EQ step-through model, which I just took delivery of. I originally wanted to purchase the 5.0 EQ model for the many upgrades it offers; however, I decided on the 4.0 EQ because I prefer the ruby aesthetic and thought I could upgrade my 4.0 as many of you have.

I'm mainly a mountain biker, but have owned several analog fitness bikes such as a super-light, top end Trek FX with a carbon fork. I still regret selling that bike! The Vado SL offers a similar feel with the added benefit of a bit of pedal assist, which is what I was looking for in a light(ish), nimble e-fitness-bike. So I'm quite pleased.

Has anyone upgraded their 4.0 SL with any of the following:
1) Enve riser bar (I saw one on an upgraded Orbea alloy MTB while out riding yesterday, and thought I might like one for dampening, etc.);
2) Carbon fork from the 5.0 SL model (if so, could you please provide the P/N?);
3) Future Shock 1.5 from 5.0 SL model (if so, could you please provide the P/N?);
4) MasterMind Turbo Control Unit (TCU) from 5.0 model (Specialized told me this isn't compatible with the 4.0, but I've yet to confirm whether this is correct);
5) 1x12 drivetrain (for added gearing, which I would use and enjoy as I'm regularly topping out at the highest gear; I particularly like SRAM's XX1 1x12 drivetrain);
6) Carbon rims.

I know @Stefan Mikes has done many modifications but, just to clarify. I'm not a road biker and I'm not looking to emulate that posture. I also previously owned the Kinekt system and wasn't terribly impressed with its aesthetic or its performance. So, while I may be interested in eventually looking into the Redshift Sports items, I would first like to investigate the options above.

Thank you everyone in advance of your thoughts and suggestions, and for this wonderfully informative thread!

IMG_3010.jpg

2) Carbon fork from the 5.0 SL model (if so, could you please provide the P/N?);
3) Future Shock 1.5 from 5.0 SL model (if so, could you please provide the P/N?);
I can’t answer many of your questions, but I can let you know that you can’t get these two items nor would it be worth it as they would probably be more expensive than the difference between the 4 and the 5.

I believe a 1x12 drivetrain is possible. I may update from the ten to 11 or even 12 on my 2020 4 EQ when it’s time to replace the current cassette. As with most parts and accessories lately, it will depend on cost and availability.

I think there was a discussion on Carbon rims recently. They’re not something I’d buy, but see what you can find. Stephan will undoubtedly chip in.

Enjoy your bike.

You can order these via Specialized LBS. Both parts come as a set, and the carbon fork is always black. The set is such expensive it cancels the cost difference between the 4.0 and 5.0 (as BEC said). I used the price difference for a full Redshift set + Range Extender.

Why not a 30-degree Redshift stem if you want to ride more upright?

@grnmtnbk - Hayes currently has the 720mm length carbon Protaper 20/20 bar on sale for $43:

Mrs levity and I use these on out SL 5 bikes and ❤️ them.
Nice hand/wrist position and good vibration damping.

Last edited:
Hi Vado SL friends,

I'm new to this thread and am still making my way through all your wonderful posts! In the meantime, I thought I'd post my brand new 2022 Vado SL 4.0 EQ step-through model, which I just took delivery of. I originally wanted to purchase the 5.0 EQ model for the many upgrades it offers; however, I decided on the 4.0 EQ because I prefer the ruby aesthetic and thought I could upgrade my 4.0 as many of you have.

I'm mainly a mountain biker, but have owned several analog fitness bikes such as a super-light, top end Trek FX with a carbon fork. I still regret selling that bike! The Vado SL offers a similar feel with the added benefit of a bit of pedal assist, which is what I was looking for in a light(ish), nimble e-fitness-bike. So I'm quite pleased.

Has anyone upgraded their 4.0 SL with any of the following:
1) Enve riser bar (I saw one on an upgraded Orbea alloy MTB while out riding yesterday, and thought I might like one for dampening, etc.);
4) MasterMind Turbo Control Unit (TCU) from 5.0 model (Specialized told me this isn't compatible with the 4.0, but I've yet to confirm whether this is correct);
5) 1x12 drivetrain (for added gearing, which I would use and enjoy as I'm regularly topping out at the highest gear; I particularly like SRAM's XX1 1x12 drivetrain);
6) Carbon rims.

I know @Stefan Mikes has done many modifications but, just to clarify. I'm not a road biker and I'm not looking to emulate that posture. I also previously owned the Kinekt system and wasn't terribly impressed with its aesthetic or its performance. So, while I may be interested in eventually looking into the Redshift Sports items, I would first like to investigate the options above.

Thank you everyone in advance of your thoughts and suggestions, and for this wonderfully informative thread!

View attachment 125141
Congrats and enjoy.

@grnmtnbk

I can see choosing that color - REALLY NICE. ENJOY the new bike
@kahn: Thank you! I love it!
I can’t answer many of your questions, but I can let you know that you can’t get these two items nor would it be worth it as they would probably be more expensive than the difference between the 4 and the 5.

@Bec111: Thank you for your input! If I could, I'd buy a carbon version of the Vado SL. My primary concern is comfort, and my secondary concern is incorporating these upgrades in an aesthetically pleasing and cohesive manner (to me, of course). Specialized extended special pricing to me, so paying a bit more to get more in my view is worth it even without a discount. So far, I am certain I will first upgrade the bar to an Enve riser bar, unless Specialized has a comparable part. Enve is the gold standard in carbon bike components. Then, I will likely add the carbon fork and Future Shock combo mentioned by @Stefan Mikes. I'll be sure to post pics so you can see the changes. Thanks again, I welcome any additional thoughts you may have.
You can order these via Specialized LBS. Both parts come as a set, and the carbon fork is always black. The set is such expensive it cancels the cost difference between the 4.0 and 5.0 (as BEC said). I used the price difference for a full Redshift set + Range Extender.

Why not a 30-degree Redshift stem if you want to ride more upright?
@Stefan Mikes: Hi Stefan. Thank you for starting this thread. It's a great place to bring Vado SL owners together and to share our experiences and information with one another.
The carbon fork/Future Shock combination is more to my liking. I also don't need a range extender, as I'm a light rider and have repeatedly returned from my riding with a surprisingly robust amount of battery life remaining.

At this point, I'm not planning to utilize Redshift components in my upgrade, but that may change as I discover what's available from Specialized. Do you happen to have a P/N# for the fork/shock combo? That's something I definitely want to add, but so far I've only found the fork through my LBS. They're still checking, though, and will be reaching out to the rep next week, so hopefully I'll know more soon.
@grnmtnbk - Hayes currently has the 720mm length carbon Protaper 20/20 bar on sale for $43:

Mrs levity and I use these on out SL 5 bikes and ❤️ them.
Nice hand/wrist position and good vibration damping.
@e-levity: Thank you for that suggestion. I'll take a look.
Congrats and enjoy.
@CodyDog: Thank you! I am having so much fun already—riding almost every day! Today, I rode ~25 miles.

After test riding the Terro, Vado 4.0, SL 4.0 and SL 5.0 EQ, I decided on the SL 5.0 EQ. First ride was approx. 10 miles and I was very pleased with the bike. Surprising enough, I rode with no assistance (relatively flat trail) and enjoyed how the bike handled. I am glad that the bike, with assistance, will be enough for me on future rides. I was previously concerned with my need for power as I was previously riding a Turbo Levo Comp with the larger motor. Most likely will change tires out to more gravel capable which will require fender removal in the future. For now I will leave it the way it is and ride the heck out of it.

20220603_162125.jpg

Congratulations on your new Vado SL!
Most likely will change tires out to more gravel capable which will require fender removal in the future. For now I will leave it the way it is and ride the heck out of it.
I am a great advocate of Specialized Pathfinder Pro (I ride the 700x38c). If you remove the front fender, you will avoid issues I had regarding gravel and forest rides. On the other hand, removing the rear fender would deprive you of the rack and the tail-light. That's why I encourage you to stay at the 38 mm tyre size (regardless of the make/model). 38 mm is a proper gravel tyre size ridden by many. SL 5.0 comes with tubeless ready wheels: if you convert to tubeless, you would be able riding your SL at low inflation pressure, making your e-bike ideal for gravel rides.

Do you happen to have a P/N# for the fork/shock combo? That's something I definitely want to add, but so far I've only found the fork through my LBS. They're still checking, though, and will be reaching out to the rep next week, so hopefully I'll know more soon.
Well, that's might be different for your country. When I asked my LBS about the FutureShock, the guy just looked into the database and said: "We will gladly add the FutureShock to your e-bike but it has to come together with the carbon fork. The price would be around US$700. Are you in?" to which I made a face and replied "A carbon fork? No, thank you".

I didn't want to convince you on Redshift or Range Extender, only I wanted to tell you how I spent the price difference between the 4.0 and 5.0. I was also discouraged by experienced EBR members as to replacing the 10-speed drivetrain (then used on Vado SL 4.0) with the 12-sp one: they told me to just replace the cassette with one more tightly spaced.

I understand you went with the 4.0 SL EQ for the frame colour but actually you wanted the 5.0. I can only wish you a success with finding all necessary parts and making your dream e-bike!

After test riding the Terro, Vado 4.0, SL 4.0 and SL 5.0 EQ, I decided on the SL 5.0 EQ. First ride was approx. 10 miles and I was very pleased with the bike. Surprising enough, I rode with no assistance (relatively flat trail) and enjoyed how the bike handled. I am glad that the bike, with assistance, will be enough for me on future rides. I was previously concerned with my need for power as I was previously riding a Turbo Levo Comp with the larger motor. Most likely will change tires out to more gravel capable which will require fender removal in the future. For now I will leave it the way it is and ride the heck out of it.

View attachment 125164
Congrats on a great choice. I've barely ridden unassisted just because it's my first e-bike and I'm enjoying the various assist modes. I rode 50km today in mostly eco.

Congratulations on your new Vado SL!

I am a great advocate of Specialized Pathfinder Pro (I ride the 700x38c). If you remove the front fender, you will avoid issues I had regarding gravel and forest rides. On the other hand, removing the rear fender would deprive you of the rack and the tail-light. That's why I encourage you to stay at the 38 mm tyre size (regardless of the make/model). 38 mm is a proper gravel tyre size ridden by many. SL 5.0 comes with tubeless ready wheels: if you convert to tubeless, you would be able riding your SL at low inflation pressure, making your e-bike ideal for gravel rides.

Well, that's might be different for your country. When I asked my LBS about the FutureShock, the guy just looked into the database and said: "We will gladly add the FutureShock to your e-bike but it has to come together with the carbon fork. The price would be around US$700. Are you in?" to which I made a face and replied "A carbon fork? No, thank you".

I didn't want to convince you on Redshift or Range Extender, only I wanted to tell you how I spent the price difference between the 4.0 and 5.0. I was also discouraged by experienced EBR members as to replacing the 10-speed drivetrain (then used on Vado SL 4.0) with the 12-sp one: they told me to just replace the cassette with one more tightly spaced.

I understand you went with the 4.0 SL EQ for the frame colour but actually you wanted the 5.0. I can only wish you a success with finding all necessary parts and making your dream e-bike!

$700 doesn't sound like too much for a carbon fork with suspension. I would consider it for my SL4. I do like the Redshift suspension stem as it would be cheaper but with only a 6 degree rise and 90mm being the shortest option, it would change my relationship to my handlebars and don't want to do it - perfect as it is. Suppose I could find some riser bars or maybe bars that sweep back a bit further to compensate for the different dimension stem but then the price would be getting up there and maybe then - just go for the suspension fork.

Back