Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

Quick note on range for the SL, and I am pleasantly surprised. My settings are:

- Eco 40/50
- Sport 65/75
- Turbo 100/100

Keep in mind I am 6'4" and 235 lbs., and I am running 50mm Schwalbe Almotions. I rode 21 flat miles yesterday, part of a 30 mile ride I do that I had to cut short. It was my longest yet on the bike. Winds were 10 MPH. I rode more than 90% in Eco, with some short segments in windy spots in Sport, and Turbo for 4 overpasses (and the bike was really working to get my big butt up those).

I returned with 68%, which really surprised me. If I can do that 30-mile ride with half the battery I probably don't need a range extender. The longest ride I do is 40 miles.

Good stuff...

Can you feel the difference between 40/50 and 65/75?

Also wondering if there is a big difference between 40/40, 65/65 and what you had?

I'm playing around with my numbers and thinking maybe 30/55 and 60/85

Can you feel the difference between 40/50 and 65/75?

Also wondering if there is a big difference between 40/40, 65/65 and what you had?

I'm playing around with my numbers and thinking maybe 30/55 and 60/85
Yes I can definitely feel the difference. Sport is basically my wind setting and it works well for me. Unless it's a Turbo Wind 😁 I chose 40/50 for Eco because it's close to my old Vado Eco setting of 20/25. 65/75 seemed like a logical spot between Eco and Turbo. If I end up needing a touch more I'll make Sport 70/75. Not sure about relation to the others.

That is one sweet looking bike! I am fond of Brooks saddles as well.

I do have a question for you.....Can the rear rack remain in place if the fender is removed?
Hey thanks!

I'm pretty sure the rack and fender are attached to each other so you would need both. The frame itself has no way to attach a rear rack.

Hey thanks!

I'm pretty sure the rack and fender are attached to each other so you would need both. The frame itself has no way to attach a rear rack.
I don't know about your model but the Creo has a bolt hole as shown in the picture below which allowed an extended strut to anchor the rack to the frame forward of the hub attachment points.

Axiom Rack3.jpg
Creo in Sun backyard.jpg

I don't know about your model but the Creo has a bolt hole as shown in the picture below which allowed an extended strut to anchor the rack to the frame forward of the hub attachment points.

View attachment 124337View attachment 124338
Carbon Creo’s don’t have that upper mounting point, so they offer an optional seatpost collar the rack can be attached to. Seems they should have just provided it as standard, but….
1653696077876.png

Carbon Creo’s don’t have that upper mounting point, so they offer an optional seatpost collar the rack can be attached to. Seems they should have just provided it as standard, but….
View attachment 124479
Carbon types don't sully their steeds with racks or fenders or ..... The list goes on! :p

Oh, question: What is the weight limit for the Creo or various Creo's?

I found this in some Append A:

"ALL ADULT SPECIALIZED BICYCLES ARE DESIGNED AND
TESTED FOR A MAXIMUM COMBINED RIDER/CARGO/BIKE
WEIGHT OF 100KG.
PLEASE VISIT THE OWNER’S MANUAL SECTION OF OUR
WEBSITE (WWW.SPECIALIZED.COM) FOR INTENDED USE
CATEGORIES AND MODEL-SPECIFIC MAXIMUM WEIGHTS. IN
SOME CASES WEIGHT LIMITS ARE HIGHER THAN 100KG"

100KG = 220 LBS (pounds, not local bike shop!!!) which seems a bit on the light side.

Last edited:
Carbon types don't sully their steeds with racks or fenders or ..... The list goes on! :p
True! I sullied mine with 42mm tires and I feel guilty! I might have to re-install the 30’s that came with it, if I’m ever going to be right with the world. 😏

Oh, question: What is the weight limit for the Creo or various Creo's?

I found this in some Append A:

"ALL ADULT SPECIALIZED BICYCLES ARE DESIGNED AND
TESTED FOR A MAXIMUM COMBINED RIDER/CARGO/BIKE
WEIGHT OF 100KG.
PLEASE VISIT THE OWNER’S MANUAL SECTION OF OUR
WEBSITE (WWW.SPECIALIZED.COM) FOR INTENDED USE
CATEGORIES AND MODEL-SPECIFIC MAXIMUM WEIGHTS. IN
SOME CASES WEIGHT LIMITS ARE HIGHER THAN 100KG"

100KG = 220 LBS (pounds, not local bike shop!!!) which seems a bit on the light side.

there’s a whole document with all the different bikes specified, and lots of complicated charts I didn’t look at.

it’s either 240lb or 275lb for the creo depending on the model, and 275 or 300 for the Vado SL. very curious that comp carbon is 240 but a comp carbon evo is 275; they have the same frame and wheels. Different tires and seatpost…

B5B9BBC9-C23D-43C9-A2DE-088C3E3E38BF.jpeg

EAB9AD46-0D35-4846-BA96-CED58BA6E181.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello,

After rethinking, I bought a Vado SL second hand but in almost new condition.

image0.jpeg

After reading all the posts, the first impressions are wau.
As the theme is called "Incredible bike", with all the above, as a feeling of real bike, acceleration, comfort (despite the narrow profile of the tires) to engine noise which irritates especially in narrow streets where there is an echo and increases the noise.

Since I just had my first ride I am somehow trying to draw a parallel with Vado 6.0.
The Vado SL is limited to 25km / h, after which my own power pushes on where with a little effort I reached a speed of 28-30km / h where the Vado 6.0 goes 30-34 km / h.
The settings are;
Vado 6.0 support 30%
Vado SL support 55% / 70%
Initially, I thought I would need significantly more physical strength for this. I obviously progressed with training, which is the reason for buying ... to burn more calories. :)
What I have noticed is that SL with these settings goes easier on the climbs.
On the first 25km ride, battery consumption was 20% (from the initial 100% it dropped to 80%).

In the next period, I will play a little with the support settings to reach the optimum.

What I miss;
- Mirror, factory comes on Vado 6.0, so if anyone knows where to buy but only OEM like on 6.0?
- Speed limit! It would be great if there was no limit. I am not in favor of third party installation options. I heard somewhere that there is an option to trick the system into registering as a US model (in an authorized LBC) and lifting the limit with an upgrade. It is clear that they are not allowed to do this, can anyone confirm this?

Enjoy your next ride.

Hello,

After rethinking, I bought a Vado SL second hand but in almost new condition.

View attachment 124502

After reading all the posts, the first impressions are wau.
As the theme is called "Incredible bike", with all the above, as a feeling of real bike, acceleration, comfort (despite the narrow profile of the tires) to engine noise which irritates especially in narrow streets where there is an echo and increases the noise.

Since I just had my first ride I am somehow trying to draw a parallel with Vado 6.0.
The Vado SL is limited to 25km / h, after which my own power pushes on where with a little effort I reached a speed of 28-30km / h where the Vado 6.0 goes 30-34 km / h.
The settings are;
Vado 6.0 support 30%
Vado SL support 55% / 70%
Initially, I thought I would need significantly more physical strength for this. I obviously progressed with training, which is the reason for buying ... to burn more calories. :)
What I have noticed is that SL with these settings goes easier on the climbs.
On the first 25km ride, battery consumption was 20% (from the initial 100% it dropped to 80%).

In the next period, I will play a little with the support settings to reach the optimum.

What I miss;
- Mirror, factory comes on Vado 6.0, so if anyone knows where to buy but only OEM like on 6.0?
- Speed limit! It would be great if there was no limit. I am not in favor of third party installation options. I heard somewhere that there is an option to trick the system into registering as a US model (in an authorized LBC) and lifting the limit with an upgrade. It is clear that they are not allowed to do this, can anyone confirm this?

Enjoy your next ride.
Congrats and nice looking bike.

there’s a whole document with all the different bikes specified, and lots of complicated charts I didn’t look at.

it’s either 240lb or 275lb for the creo depending on the model, and 275 or 300 for the Vado SL. very curious that comp carbon is 240 but a comp carbon evo is 275; they have the same frame and wheels. Different tires and seatpost…

View attachment 124498

View attachment 124499
Hey, thanks a lot. I don't overtax my Aluminum Creo - just my body! And, yes, that difference is interesting. Seatpost????

Igor: Your Vado 6.0 is equipped with a mirror because it is a Euro S-Pedelec, or a moped by law. The mirror called Mirrycle is one of the most popular mirrors used by EBR members: multiple mounting positions, good view, durable, inexpensive. Check Amazon. (Make sure it is the version for the 3 mm hex wrench as there is also an American version in the market).

- Speed limit! It would be great if there was no limit. I am not in favor of third party installation options.
Check PearTune 3.0 for SL e-bikes. Illegal, difficult to install, works like a charm.

A warning: Vado SL has too little power to be really a speed e-bike. I have used PearTune 3.0 to a great success but rarely ride my Vado SL faster than 25 km/h because my legs are weak, and I want to conserve the battery power. The derestricted Vado SL will reach 34 km/h in Turbo, while it is easy to ride 40 km/h on Vado 6.0 in the same mode.

Last edited:
Igor: Your Vado 6.0 is equipped with a mirror because it is a Euro S-Pedelec, or a moped by law. The mirror called Mirrycle is one of the most popular mirrors used by EBR members: multiple mounting positions, good view, durable, inexpensive. Check Amazon. (Make sure it is the version for the 3 mm hex wrench as there is also an American version in the market).

Check PearTune 3.0 for SL e-bikes. Illegal, difficult to install, works like a charm.

A warning: Vado SL has too little power to be really a speed e-bike. I have used PearTune 3.0 to a great success but rarely ride my Vado SL faster than 25 km/h because my legs are weak, and I want to conserve the battery power. The derestricted Vado SL will reach 34 km/h in Turbo, while it is easy to ride 40 km/h on Vado 6.0 in the same mode.
Thanks Stefan, I will use your advice.

I rode 25.5 miles today with my Tuesday group and used only 7% battery with Microtune. I also rode 8 miles or so at 0% and was amused when my range estimation readout got up to 400+ miles. But that's not why I posted.

The major new thing I discovered was how this bike does in very rough conditions. Wrongly assuming that it had been graded by now, we took an alternate segment along a couple of rural dirt roads that in places turned out looking like they'd come under mortar fire! There were few smooth paths through the mess and no way to occasionally avoid hitting some sizable potholes and washboarding. I can report that between my Redshift seatpost and the Futureshock + carbon forks in front, my SL 5.0 did very well. I did get up on the pedals a few times in the worst sections, but I was pleased that the bike generally went through there without the type of jolting that I used to get on the much heavier Vado 4.0 with its ineffective forks. The lighter weight of the SL was also appreciated when trying to zigzag through a field of potholes. Overall I couldn't be more pleased with how the bike performed, and that was definitely the worst conditions I hope to ever face on it!

Another "first" was hitting 32mph on the paved downhill road when we came off of the dirt. It was the first time I've shifted onto the smallest cog, but I'm not sure of my cadence since at that speed it's not a good idea to look away from the road!

Back