Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

Really like the wheels/tires. What Derailleur/Cassette did you use? Did you change out the front chainring?

Also..any trouble with the chain falling off, since you removed that chainstay around the ring?

Really like the wheels/tires. What Derailleur/Cassette did you use? Did you change out the front chainring?

Also..any trouble with the chain falling off, since you removed that chainstay around the ring?
Thanks, mogulman! The current derailleur is a SRAM GX Eagle, and a SRAM XX1 Eagle XG-1299 10-50t cassette. The chainring is what comes on the bike, it's a SRAM X-SYNC 44t. The X-SYNC narrow/wide alternating tooth profile is designed to hold the chain on the ring. I've never dropped the chain yet.

I changed the front ring to a 38T narrow/wide (Race Face) and so also got rid of the outer chainstay and have had no issues (other than it looks better as well ;)).

Nice photos @AdmChr ... are the XTR brakes appreciably better than the stock (which are not as good as I'd hoped).

I changed the front ring to a 38T narrow/wide (Race Face) and so also got rid of the outer chainstay and have had no issues (other than it looks better as well ;)).

Nice photos @AdmChr ... are the XTR brakes appreciably better than the stock (which are not as good as I'd hoped).
Thank you, fatshark! 🍻 Honestly, the Tektro brakes that came on it worked fine and felt pretty good power-wise. But I could not get along with the long lever throw or how big the levers were. I'm so used to minimal throw and one-finger braking, I just couldn't get used to them at all. Over the years I've tried so many other brakes from the highest level SRAM, Magura, Formula, etc. and I was never satisfied. So all of my bikes have SRAM drivetrains and Shimano XTR or Saint brakes. The heart wants what it wants. 😍

Thank you, fatshark! 🍻 Honestly, the Tektro brakes that came on it worked fine and felt pretty good power-wise. But I could not get along with the long lever throw or how big the levers were. I'm so used to minimal throw and one-finger braking, I just couldn't get used to them at all. Over the years I've tried so many other brakes from the highest level SRAM, Magura, Formula, etc. and I was never satisfied. So all of my bikes have SRAM drivetrains and Shimano XTR or Saint brakes. The heart wants what it wants. 😍

That's the one upgrade I don't understand on the SL - the brakes. OK - maybe a matter of preference with the length of the triggers but plenty of grip area and the levers can't be pulled back far enough to the hand anyway. I would assume the XTR brakes are lighter so that would be an advantage but slight. Finally - I don't think the actual 'stopping power' could be increased. Do they stop better? And this isn't to start an argument. If XTR a lot better I want them. bW

Rode 23.7 miles today on Microtune and used 7% battery, returning with the range estimator showing 144 miles! I was mostly riding at 10% with about 8 miles at 0% and just a couple of hills where I bumped it up to 20-30% for a short way. This is exactly what I was looking for all along on an e-bike: just enough power to negate the effects of aging, but more when I really want it.

Rode 23.7 miles today on Microtune and used 7% battery, returning with the range estimator showing 144 miles! I was mostly riding at 10% with about 8 miles at 0% and just a couple of hills where I bumped it up to 20-30% for a short way. This is exactly what I was looking for all along on an e-bike: just enough power to negate the effects of aging, but more when I really want it.
Definitely going to try this next time.

New 2022 Vado SL 4.0 owner here. EQ version, size XL frame.

After 23 years with the same Peugeot competition bike, the latest upgrade to it (from drop bars to flats) made me think I should splash out on a new bike as I wanted a good city/suburb rider that had capacity to carry stuff from shopping to my two dogs and be more suited to the elements. The Vado seems to fit the bill perfectly. I literally decided between the 4.0 and 5.0 over a coffee round the corner. In the end I went for the 4, partly because the cost of the 5 was a bit too much and partly because I thought I could upgrade various parts in the future. In hindsight, I would have gone with the 5.0 I think having had time to really look at all the component upgrades aside from the carbon fs forks and TCU. The shop had only one model on display and for testing, a 2021 Vado with Deore drivetrain.

No regrets but I feel once I get the upgrade bee in my bonnet it's hard to let it go. The bike has a very suitable ride position and solid handling and deals with the moderate hills around here in eco mode. Vibrations aren't notable unless I cycle over 30km and then there's a bit of post-ride numbness in my little and ring finger (probably me gripping too tightly.)

The only issue I have is the weight, coming from a lighter bike, it feels pretty heavy and 17.5kg I reckon, it is heavy. I know, I am being contradictory as I have fitted a Brooks saddle which is almost double the stock one but the Brooks was new this year and I've always wanted to try one. In the medium term, I'd like to shave a kg or so off the total weight perhaps starting with the Sunrace cassette and seat post.

The bike has opened up a whole new list of parks I can get to with the dogs thanks to a SnapIt adapter I fitted to a piece of wood and a dog carrier. One in the carrier and one in a backpack. One month in, it's been a lot of fun.

As a side note, the smoke black finish had an imperfection the shop told me and asked what I would like to do, offering me a 5% discount, essentially meaning I got it for the non-EQ price really. The matt finish is apparently hard to perfect. I can barely notice the streak they found so it's all good with me. If you are a finish perfectionist then do your due diligence.

IMG_4783.jpg

IMG_4781.jpg

IMG_4750.jpg

New 2022 Vado SL 4.0 owner here. EQ version, size XL frame.

After 23 years with the same Peugeot competition bike, the latest upgrade to it (from drop bars to flats) made me think I should splash out on a new bike as I wanted a good city/suburb rider that had capacity to carry stuff from shopping to my two dogs and be more suited to the elements. The Vado seems to fit the bill perfectly. I literally decided between the 4.0 and 5.0 over a coffee round the corner. In the end I went for the 4, partly because the cost of the 5 was a bit too much and partly because I thought I could upgrade various parts in the future. In hindsight, I would have gone with the 5.0 I think having had time to really look at all the component upgrades aside from the carbon fs forks and TCU. The shop had only one model on display and for testing, a 2021 Vado with Deore drivetrain.

No regrets but I feel once I get the upgrade bee in my bonnet it's hard to let it go. The bike has a very suitable ride position and solid handling and deals with the moderate hills around here in eco mode. Vibrations aren't notable unless I cycle over 30km and then there's a bit of post-ride numbness in my little and ring finger (probably me gripping too tightly.)

The only issue I have is the weight, coming from a lighter bike, it feels pretty heavy and 17.5kg I reckon, it is heavy. I know, I am being contradictory as I have fitted a Brooks saddle which is almost double the stock one but the Brooks was new this year and I've always wanted to try one. In the medium term, I'd like to shave a kg or so off the total weight perhaps starting with the Sunrace cassette and seat post.

The bike has opened up a whole new list of parks I can get to with the dogs thanks to a SnapIt adapter I fitted to a piece of wood and a dog carrier. One in the carrier and one in a backpack. One month in, it's been a lot of fun.

As a side note, the smoke black finish had an imperfection the shop told me and asked what I would like to do, offering me a 5% discount, essentially meaning I got it for the non-EQ price really. The matt finish is apparently hard to perfect. I can barely notice the streak they found so it's all good with me. If you are a finish perfectionist then do your due diligence.

View attachment 124298
View attachment 124299
View attachment 124300
That is one sweet looking bike! I am fond of Brooks saddles as well.

I do have a question for you.....Can the rear rack remain in place if the fender is removed?

Back