Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

Hello All. I have just registered on the forum, although I have been a reader since purchasing a Vado SL 4.0 EQ about 5 months ago. I mainly use my Vado SL for leisurely recreational rides and local errands and I have taken it, by car, to Busselton and Margaret River in the south-west of Western Australia for short cycling holidays with my wife.

The only major change I have done to the bike is fitting slightly knobbly tires (Trek LT3 700C x 38) to better suit unpaved rail trails which often have a “pea gravel” surface.

View attachment 116559
Welcome!

Enjoy your riding

FWIW, I switched to Pathfinders for the same reasons

Not camels, then? 😁 I forgot how huge Australia is and the distance between the larger population centers.
There were camels.

3827A757-1335-48B7-B605-3428335E0BCE.png

I might have as much as 800 Wh of SL power on board on this Saturday :) Yes, I am ready to carry two RE batteries in a backpack, and one RE in the water-bottle-cage :)

Fancy that: Assistance set to 70/70, 85/85, and 100/100%. I could chase gravel cyclists on the lightweight Vado as a dream, and no pannier!

I'm curious.. has anyone derestricted an SL? If so, do you get any pedal "spinout" above 20mph? ie the Pedals not really engaging the gears at higher speeds? Also, what does your range look like after destricting?

I'm curious.. has anyone derestricted an SL? If so, do you get any pedal "spinout" above 20mph? ie the Pedals not really engaging the gears at higher speeds? Also, what does your range look like after destricting?
I did, because riding at the Euro 15.5 mph seemed to be unbearable. Now guess what. The maximum sustainable speed I'm getting on a Vado SL in Turbo mode is 34 km/h or 21 mph. The reason being the air drag requires high power to overcome it, the power the Vado SL is lacking. Yes, it is possible to ride faster. If you get tailwind or a downslope. I hit some 25 mph under such conditions.

And you are talking about derestricting a 28 mph U.S. Vado? Go buy yourself a Creo. Provided your legs are strong and you will ride aero in the drops, you might get speed higher than 28 mph... Regarding the spinout: 44/11T allows you hitting 28 mph at cadence of 86 rpm. Easy for me, if I only had enough leg power! I could even pedal at 95 rpm required to get at 31 mph!

I did, because riding at the Euro 15.5 mph seemed to be unbearable. Now guess what. The maximum sustainable speed I'm getting on a Vado SL in Turbo mode is 34 km/h or 21 mph. The reason being the air drag requires high power to overcome it, the power the Vado SL is lacking. Yes, it is possible to ride faster. If you get tailwind or a downslope. I hit some 25 mph under such conditions.

And you are talking about derestricting a 28 mph U.S. Vado? Go buy yourself a Creo. Provided your legs are strong and you will ride aero in the drops, you might get speed higher than 28 mph... Regarding the spinout: 44/11T allows you hitting 28 mph at cadence of 86 rpm. Easy for me, if I only had enough leg power! I could even pedal at 95 rpm required to get at 31 mph!
Good points, Stefan. I rode my USA SL today. It was a bit windy. My average speed into the wind was about 14mph. With the wind, it was about 17mph. These averages on on rolling, though mostly shallow hills with several street crossings requiring slowing down to a near stop or even full stops. There were a few segments of a mile or two where conditions allowed riding hard at sustained speeds. With the wind I was at about 19 Mph.

There are a few sections on this route where I can let it all out for an extended period. (No intervening crossings, gentle slopes, no pedestrian, dog walkers and the other usual obstructions.) I can ride these sections at about 20-23 mph. And I can ride at over 30mph for a while. Road conditions prevent me from trying those speeds for more than a few hundred yards. I know I can probably ride at high speeds for a while longer, but as Stefan says, at 74, I don’t have the health to go all out for too long.

And I don’t care. I’m generally faster than my senior citizen riding companions. I have no desire to try and keep up with 20 somethings going way faster. And those folks are dangerous to others on my somewhat crowded trail.

Good points, Stefan. I rode my USA SL today. It was a bit windy. My average speed into the wind was about 14mph. With the wind, it was about 17mph. These averages on on rolling, though mostly shallow hills with several street crossings requiring slowing down to a near stop or even full stops. There were a few segments of a mile or two where conditions allowed riding hard at sustained speeds. With the wind I was at about 19 Mph.

There are a few sections on this route where I can let it all out for an extended period. (No intervening crossings, gentle slopes, no pedestrian, dog walkers and the other usual obstructions.) I can ride these sections at about 20-23 mph. And I can ride at over 30mph for a while. Road conditions prevent me from trying those speeds for more than a few hundred yards. I know I can probably ride at high speeds for a while longer, but as Stefan says, at 74, I don’t have the health to go all out for too long.

And I don’t care. I’m generally faster than my senior citizen riding companions. I have no desire to try and keep up with 20 somethings going way faster. And those folks are dangerous to others on my somewhat crowded trail.
I think Whiz is looking for a unicorn. A lightweight fitness e-bike cannot be very fast. An e-MTB is for climbing not for racing (and limited for speed to be admitted to national parks etc). Road e-bikes often don't allow rack, and fenders are unwelcome there. Commuter e-bikes are heavy. And so on and so on.

I think Whiz is looking for a unicorn. A lightweight fitness e-bike cannot be very fast. An e-MTB is for climbing not for racing (and limited for speed to be admitted to national parks etc). Road e-bikes often don't allow rack, and fenders are unwelcome there. Commuter e-bikes are heavy. And so on and so on.
You’ve just described why I bought the Vado SL. It’s also why I’ve yet to see a better choice given the criteria. Under 40 pounds, US class 3, hydraulic disk brakes, lights, upright posture, mid-mount motor, LBS support.

You’ve just described why I bought the Vado SL. It’s also why I’ve yet to see a better choice given the criteria. Under 40 pounds, US class 3, hydraulic disk brakes, lights, upright posture, mid-mount motor, LBS support.
And that's I why I need two very different e-bikes from the same brand with the same LBS support :)

Vado SL 4.0 EQ:
  • As lightweight I can carry it easily, is it the staircase or obstacles on the ride
  • Staying in my flat, so I can always go for a ride
  • Equipped with Redshift suspension (my own choice), it is "almost a gravel e-bike". The lightweight + suspension makes it day vs night on rough terrain rides compared to the other e-bike.
  • Forcing me to producing more effort, it is a fitness e-bike I needed
  • Extra batteries are lightweight, can be carried in a backpack, and the number of Range Extenders taken for a ride depends on the trip characted (distance, average speed expected).
Suffice to say, my own (measured) contribution to the SL ride is exactly twice than I am getting with the full power Vado. However, in my specific situation, it is not a speed e-bike (unless I feed it with a lot of battery energy). I do not feel the bike as appropriate for significant hills either.

Vado 5.0 (an unsuspended version):
  • A speed e-bike, getting on speed so easily with great acceleration
  • Ideal for fast commutes
  • Pedalling requires half of the other e-bike effort
  • Capable of climbing extreme, long hills (I even made a Strava Category 4 climb on the big Vado)
  • Will get me through the most dire situations except of technical off-road trails.
The e-bike is heavy (especially when I carry a spare battery). It is very shaky and uncomfortable in more rough terrain. Very difficult to carry over obstacles. The pannier (with the spare battery) shakes and makes noise in any other terrain than the pavement.

None of these of two e-bikes is:
  • A road racing e-bike
  • A proper gravel e-bike
  • An e-MTB.
Yes, I owned a proper e-MTB. I decided I didn't need it despite of the classy suspension and other features expected for technical off-road trails. Not good for the city at all!

Last edited:
I have joined the club! 🍻

Called my LBS and asked for an ETA, they said the soonest would be August. Seen my size and color were available online, so I placed my order from the Specialized website on 3.8.22, it arrived on 3.11.22 and was available to be picked up on 3.15.22. I have some spare parts laying around to swap over to it and some I plan to purchase. But I'm hoping to actually get to take it out for a spin today to see how it fits, etc.

2022 Specialized Vado SL 5.0 EQ (37.46 lbs Medium, with pedals, both fenders, rack, fidlock bottle cage mounts)
IMG_0759.jpeg

IMG_0760.jpeg

Congratulations AdmChr :)
I dig the colour.

Finally ordered my 2021 5.0 EQ after waiting for what seemed like forever to get the leasing through employer going. (we're just only starting and it's a very german thing I guess, so everything takes time).

Can't wait. My best friend has a Garmin Edge Explore waiting to be sold and I will take a close look at that. I also want to have a racktime-compatible rear "bag" thing. Have not decided which yet.

Called my LBS and asked for an ETA, they said the soonest would be August. Seen my size and color were available online, so I placed my order from the Specialized website on 3.8.22, it arrived on 3.11.22 and was available to be picked up on 3.15.22. I have some spare parts laying around to swap over to it and some I plan to purchase. But I'm hoping to actually get to take it out for a spin today to see how it fits, etc.

2022 Specialized Vado SL 5.0 EQ (37.46 lbs Medium, with pedals, both fenders, rack, fidlock bottle cage mounts)
View attachment 117044
View attachment 117045
It's you only yellow, right ?

Congratulations on the bike! At least you get to ride yours where my new 5.0 will be sitting in my shop for another 8 weeks (doctor's orders) :mad:

I have to say that's the smallest front fender I've ever seen -- so small that it's invisible :). I assume you had taken it off (or it was never installed) to make it easier to carry on the type of rack you have. Thanks also for the weight figure; I'll be anxious to compare after I get mine loaded up, although I find myself to be turning into some sort of "weight weenie" lately (which is not very logical for an e-bike).

My non-EQ is only available in the brushed aluminum. It's nice, but I would sort of preferred a painted finish like yours. I am also installing a sidestand since most bikes I've ever owned had one -- including my old aluminum road bike. To me, not having one is a real PITA, especially as I often go on rides where we stop at a cafe for coffee, or even when I have to move it around the garage or do minor maintenance without putting it on a workstand. And probably due to my many years riding motorcycles, I have a visceral reaction to laying a bike down flat on the ground! :oops:

Congratulations on the bike! At least you get to ride yours where my new 5.0 will be sitting in my shop for another 8 weeks (doctor's orders) :mad:

I have to say that's the smallest front fender I've ever seen -- so small that it's invisible :). I assume you had taken it off (or it was never installed) to make it easier to carry on the type of rack you have. Thanks also for the weight figure; I'll be anxious to compare after I get mine loaded up, although I find myself to be turning into some sort of "weight weenie" lately (which is not very logical for an e-bike).

My non-EQ is only available in the brushed aluminum. It's nice, but I would sort of preferred a painted finish like yours. I am also installing a sidestand since most bikes I've ever owned had one -- including my old aluminum road bike. To me, not having one is a real PITA, especially as I often go on rides where we stop at a cafe for coffee, or even when I have to move it around the garage or do minor maintenance without putting it on a workstand. And probably due to my many years riding motorcycles, I have a visceral reaction to laying a bike down flat on the ground! :oops:

Kickstands may add some weight but prevent a lot of nicks and scrapes on a bike - in my opinion. First and only addition so far to my beautiful VadoSL4.

I ordered my extender battery from my LBS the other day and didn't realize that the cable from the battery to the bike was an extra-cost item and that they apparently come in 3 different lengths. The problem was that the guy doing the ordering didn't know much about it and couldn't tell from REI's order site which one to get. They had them listed as "Road" and "MTB", plus there was a third length that I can't recall. Anyway, he ended up ordering the Road length of 120cm IIRC. In any case, if it's the wrong length I can always exchange it. I also ordered the Y-cable.

The battery might not be in for a week or more. Apparently there is some guy in Poland who is buying up all the stock of extender batteries and they're looking for a replacement supplier. Of course, I wouldn't know anything about that. :D

It is the 220 mm "Road" cable. There are only two sizes: Road and MTB. The Road RE Cable is used on Vado/Como/Creo SL. The MTB Re Cable is for Levo and Kenevo SL, as these have very compact frames and need a shorter cable.

Your RE will come with a Zee Cage II (L) and a rubber band for fixing the Re Cable plug in place. Pay attention to a rotating slide at he bike side plug: When the slide is rotated to the right (counter clockwise), you can insert the plub into the socket. Rotating clockwise (down) secures the plug in the socket.

Also pay attention how the RE has been originally mounted inside the Zee Cage II.

Did you order the RE Y-Cable as well?

Besides, the Warsaw LBS got as many as 15 Range Extenders:
-- Is it OK if I buy two Range Extenders? -- I asked.
-- You may buy all fifteen of them! -- the salesman smiled -- We won't sell them for a year!
:)

Last edited:

"A visceral reaction to laying a bike down flat on the ground "... me too. Especially when I'm riding it.

Back