Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

FYI, this is the information I was looking for about disconnecting the taillight on my 5.0. I was tipped off after talking to the mechanic at the LBS, although I'm sure I would have discovered it myself (glad I didn't just snip the cable higher up). I was able to take it apart at this point and used a couple short lengths of shrink wrap to protect the ends of the wires before taping them and pushing them back down in to the tubes. Mission accomplished.

2022-03-23 09.00.54.jpg

My Vado SL aka "HMS Fearless"...

20220324_153833-01.jpeg

Washed by Specialized Warsaw...

20220324_153850-01.jpeg

The drivetrain looks like new...

20220324_153903-01.jpeg

Front mudguard removed for the warm season and replaced with an Ass Saver. New set of Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss 38-622 tyres.

Last edited:
My Vado SL aka "HMS Fearless"...

Washed by Specialized Warsaw...

The drivetrain looks like new...

Front mudguard removed for the warm season and replaced with an Ass Saver. New set of Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss 38-622 tyres.
Is that a size M? One thing about my size L is that I have cage mounts on the underside of the top tube as well, so I can have two water bottles and the range extender connected. I might have to look into that Ass Saver, since the shield I was planning on using comes with straps that aren't long enough to go around the large SL downtube.

My 5.0 is now outfitted (except for the range extender) and is ready to ride as shown here. Updates include the rear rack, pedals, bottle cages, Redshift seatpost with OEM saddle, BUP saddle mount for Varia, Garmin Edge bar mount, side stand, and bar-end mirror. The as-delivered weight was 35.5 lbs and the completed weight is 38lbs for a gain of about 2.5lbs. The seat post was the biggest single contributor, as it weighs a bunch more than the OEM post. Can't wait to get this out on the trails!

2022-03-24 12.23.11.jpg

Snagged a quick pic in a short home-office break; it's pretty much stock so far with the range extender cage and a lock installed.
I do have a racktime Odin to snap on, bought a Garmin Edge Explore from a friend, and from there we will see. Thinking about nicer pedals, the stock ones are pretty boring for a beauty like this.

View attachment 117655

Beautiful. Sweet color and love the paint fade. Well done Spec. Treat her like an angel. 👍😇

Hey Stefan - How do you like those Pathfinder tyres? Those are on my list!
I only made a very short ride around the LBS (pavement and some grass) so far. I think I like the tyres but will report after this weekend (two gravel/dirt rides involved).

I was on a ride today!

By chance, a 3 km segment of the road the most local to me has been on reconstruction! So I was riding potted gravel, freshly rolled dirt, new coarse gravel, cracked asphalt, quality tarmac and... many kilometres of very poor quality/damaged bike paths made of paving blocks. The best test for Pathfinders!

Verdict: Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss are worth every cent! They are rolling very fast (my average speed improved significantly) and they were delightfully supple and compliant on rough surfaces!

P.S. A friend, gravel cyclist told me Pathfinder Pro were reportedly the fastest rolling gravel tyres in the market.

Last edited:
I was on a ride today!

By chance, a 3 km segment of the road the most local to me has been on reconstruction! So I was riding potted gravel, rfreshly rolled dirt, new coarse gravel, cracked asphalt, quality tarmac and... many kilometres of very poor quality/damaged bike paths made of paving blocks. The best test for Pathfinders!

Verdict: Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss are worth every cent! They are rolling very fast (my average speed improved significantly) and they were delightfully supple and compliant on rough surfaces!
Rolling faster than the OEM tires and better grip on the rough stuff both? Impressive 😀.

Battery fade or slow updating?

I noticed today that the battery percentage remaining when I finished my ride is more than the percentage remaining 10-20 minutes later. I was looking out for it today having thought I'd noticed this last time. In both cases it was a 5-7% downward adjustment, today dropping from 63% to 57%.

I suspect this might be due to the last half kilometre being the 20% hill that leads to my house, but wondered if anyone else had seen the same thing.

Thoroughly enjoying the bike and looking forward to testing the limit of the range as soon as we get some nice midweek weather (fewer cars on the road).

Gratuitous photo of the yellow SL 5.0 EQ (and some very distant Scottish islands) as I think it's the nicest colour they do ;)

PXL_20220325_162209038.jpg

Battery fade or slow updating?

I noticed today that the battery percentage remaining when I finished my ride is more than the percentage remaining 10-20 minutes later. I was looking out for it today having thought I'd noticed this last time. In both cases it was a 5-7% downward adjustment, today dropping from 63% to 57%.
I'd say it is a slow update. I most often ride with a Range Extender, and my Wahoo reports the state of charge for each battery independently. I often observe a 2-3% charge drop post ride. Not worried.

I think you're right ... I rode today and stopped for lunch after a long, relatively flat section with a following wind :). The battery didn't change between stopping and checking 10 minutes later. However, after riding back home (and going up the 20% grade to the house) it again dropped a few percent.

I did 63 km with about 1100 metres of climbing and used 77% of the battery. I now need to explore changing the power settings to better suit my riding. I also need to look into the distance/altitude discrepancies between Mission Control, Strava and a good old fashioned map.

Today's ride
Mission control63.4 km966 m ascent2 h 30 m (which then automagically uploads to Strava)
Strava63.4 km1112 m ascent2 h 55 m
Map63.2 km1081 m ascent2 h 51 m moving time (this was Strava exported GPX data in gpx.studio)

I don't really care which is correct, but I'd like one of them to be. I don't understand why Mission Control and Strava aren't identical, as I just upload from the former to the latter, and then wonder where the 4 minutes moving time were lost when exporting Strava to gpx.studio

Puzzling 🤔

I stopped for lunch when I ran out of land ... this is the foghorn for the lighthouse on the most westerly point of mainland UK.

PXL_20220328_120548555.jpg

Regarding the reported elevation height, I would not trust Mission Control. It tries determining the elevation by a barometric pressure sensor in the phone but ambient pressure can also vary. Interestingly, Wahoo ELEMNT Roam uses a similar technique as its maps have got no elevation information! (That's why I regret I didn't buy the newer Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt v2, maps of which include elevation data). I would trust the elevation gain of Strava pretty much. And I typically correct elevation gain data with Strava.

The MC reported ride time is worrying indeed. I have never trusted Mission Control: it often gives different ride data than, say, the TCD wireless display. I can't remember @fatshark: Is your SL equipped with the older TCU, or with a Mastermind TCU?

…. I also need to look into the distance/altitude discrepancies between Mission Control, Strava and a good old fashioned map.

Today's ride
Mission control63.4 km966 m ascent2 h 30 m (which then automagically uploads to Strava)
Strava63.4 km1112 m ascent2 h 55 m
Map63.2 km1081 m ascent2 h 51 m moving time (this was Strava exported GPX data in gpx.studio)

I don't really care which is correct, but I'd like one of them to be. I don't understand why Mission Control and Strava aren't identical, as I just upload from the former to the latter, and then wonder where the 4 minutes moving time were lost when exporting Strava to gpx.studio

Puzzling 🤔

many of us have puzzled over these puzzles !

mission control’s elevation records come from your phone, not the bike or any maps, and different phones have different altimeters. the latest iphones have barometric altimeters which are cross referenced to GPS for “leveling” purposes, and they’re not bad. GPS only altitude is useless. cross referencing recorded altitude from the altimeter to known elevational from GPS map positions is the best way, which is i believe what strava and rwGPS do. i tend to trust strava’s elevation numbers most.

as for moving time, if you hit pause and start a bunch in mission control, you’ll find more and more discrepancy with the strava moving time, which is calculated by strava from the position data and seems VERY uppity about considering when you’re stopped. even slight movement in the position track, as you see with GPS when rapidly stopping, does not show as stopped for a while in strava. take a close look at the strava ride analysis and see if it thinks you were moving for 21-25 minutes more than you think you were.

otherwise, those three results are actually quite similar. some have found much bigger errors due to incorrect wheel size setting, bad GPS reception, etc.

many of us have puzzled over these puzzles !
I'm more and more confused with all these systems, Mark!
Take my latest long ride:
  • Wahoo and BLEvo both have reported about the same distance ridden (good)
  • The elevation gain data for both systems didn't match Strava
  • Wahoo gave the net ride time 10 minutes shorter than BLEvo. I compared the average ride speed to other group ride members and Wahoo was correct
  • Wahoo typically reports weird Max Speed because of some glitch.
How to live? :)

Back