Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

So is this OK? I am confused?
If mounting is OK then I do have problem with the chain ring wearing out. Hence the sound.
I suggest using the graphic on the reverse of the chainring. This should eliminate the terminology confusion that seems to have crept into this thread.

Just did and it is mounted correctly.
I must have chain ring issue then.
here is a pic.
how does the chain ring look to you?
Your pic shows exactly the opposite: your wide slot is on the wide tooth, and that is the correct mounting.
Please notice: "wide" or "narrow" tooth is to be seen from side to side and not in the chain line (as the chain runs)!

I have marked your narrow tooth with a yellow frame, and your wide tooth with a red frame:

View attachment 53098
i get it now. Saw the graphic on the back of chain ring. Mounted correctly. Thanks to all for help.

Attachments

• F98E4CDB-DD2E-438F-912E-75614BE0DDCC.jpeg
    F98E4CDB-DD2E-438F-912E-75614BE0DDCC.jpeg
    242.3 KB · Views: 265
Here is a not very funny but amusing story after my chain ring sob story.
due to the noise issue with changing the chain and issue with chain ring and unavailability of it for couple of weeks 🤞I decided to borrow my son’s MTB to ride for this period so I don’t ride the Vado and not creat damage.
it is a very light MTB with some graphite components. So there is no negative to point out about the bike. However I felt the bike was not moving freely and seemed like some ghost had applied the break. It came to me the word that I learned from @Stefan Mikes who coined it. Oh noooo I have ebike legs.
I am so used to the power output of Vado that any bike is now giving me the feeling of riding a cement truck.
oh well. Long live the Vado and it’s power.
so is it really me but faster??

Last edited:
Here is a not very funny but amusing story after my chain ring sub story.
due to the noise issue with changing the chain and issue with chain ring and unavailability of it for couple of weeks 🤞I decided to borrow my son’s MTB to ride for this period so I don’t ride the Vado and not creat damage.
it is a very light MTB with some graphite components. So there is no negative to point out about the bike. However I felt the bike was not moving freely and seemed like some ghost had applied the break. It came to me the word that I learned from @Stefan Mikes who coined it. Oh noooo I have ebike legs.
I am so used to the power output of Vado that any bike is now giving me the feeling of riding a cement truck.
oh well. Long live the Vado and it’s power.
so is it really me but stronger??
No, it’s you but faster ;)
Same thing happened to me when my first Vado was at LBS for service. I took out my regular hybrid bike I had used a few months earlier. My initial reaction was - There is something wrong with this bike!

Edit
Sorry I now see I was way too late posting this.

On Specialized chain ring there is a symbol. It’s difficult to see on the bike but possible if you look ”through the frame” and then press chain down to chain ring.

View attachment 53108
View attachment 53109
View attachment 53110
Thanks. Saw this and mine is mounted correctly. Have you been able to find a new chain ring. Seems like Specialized only carries it and only sells to retailers.

Thanks. Saw this and mine is mounted correctly. Have you been able to find a new chain ring. Seems like Specialized only carries it and only sells to retailers.
The new 48t on my first pic was on the bike as standard equipment but I had LBs change replace it to 40t before delivery.
So now I have a new 48t lying around. I’ll keep it if I would change my mind but really don’t think I will.

The new 48t on my first pic was on the bike as standard equipment but I had LBs change replace it to 40t before delivery.
So now I have a new 48t lying around. I’ll keep it if I would change my mind but really don’t think I will.
I would have purchased it from you if you were in US and willing to sell. Oh well I have to wait for Specialized to hopefully ship it sooner.

so is it really me but faster??
I love my Vado and really have to ride at least in the Eco mode (not Off) to enjoy the benefit the e-bike gives me. I have found that if I use the 35/100 setting for the Eco mode, I could be on par with my healthy and strong brother riding an MTB.

However, it is something interesting I found about my Giant Trance E+ e-MTB: If that's a leisure ride in a hilly area, the Trance can be easily pedalled with the assistance off as long as you ride on even the slightest downslope. The benefit is saving the battery charge and the drawback is you ride at really low speed compared to what pedal-assistance can give you. Vado is not made that way: Vado loves to be fed on electrons! And it is really faster :D

Art Deco,
Thanks for the compliment. I love the frame on Giant ebikes so maybe in the future. Full suspension electric mountain bike?!!

Currently only two ebikes:
- 2018 Vado 6.0 speed pedelec. I like to compare this machine to a corvette. Plenty of power, loves an long open trail, hates stop & go and puttering along. Very “torquey” with plenty of oomph.
- 2019 Trek class one. This ebike is more like a Toyota Prius. Very gentle, only 45 lbs so easy to haul, lower gears, less torque. Great for my groups so I can hang out in the back. It’s my grocery & errand bike.

With my class 3 Vado 5 it is so easy to ride in the 18-23 mph ranges with only 30% assist. Think wind resistance starts to play a big role in the mid 20s as more assist has smaller gains.
20% 18-23mph is impressive. I am working on asking for less assist from my Vado 5 but for me more like 50% is comfortable. I do 30% when totally flat. Knees talk to me if I push too hard.

20% 18-23mph is impressive. I am working on asking for less assist from my Vado 5 but for me more like 50% is comfortable. I do 30% when totally flat. Knees talk to me if I push too hard.
I found if my knees were too bent, or seat too low, my knees could bother me. Set seat to my other nonebike height and it was better.

Also with assist found I wasn’t working the leg muscles enough, fluid could settle in the leg tissues. Believed called edema, which would also effect my knees.

lay with your back on the floor and legs up a wall, helps with knees to reduce swelling. If it helps you have found your problem.

I tore an ACL and never had it fixed so have to be careful, not sn experience I want to repeat:).

I found if my knees were too bent, or seat too low, my knees could bother me. Set seat to my other nonebike height and it was better.

Also with assist found I wasn’t working the leg muscles enough, fluid could settle in the leg tissues. Believed called edema, which would also effect my knees.

lay with your back on the floor and legs up a wall, helps with knees to reduce swelling. If it helps you have found your problem.

I tore an ACL and never had it fixed so have to be careful, not sn experience I want to repeat:).
Great suggestion.

I love the frame on Giant ebikes so maybe in the future. Full suspension electric mountain bike?!!
I can bet you want it @Marci jo ;) You cannot go wrong with the Giant Trance E+ and you can choose the model that fits your needs and budget quite easily. Is your area hilly enough? How fortunate you are to live in a country with the 20 mph speed restriction for the Class 1 e-bikes!

Talking about the Vado, I just cannot wait for the next ride with my brother Jacek. He added some extra kms on the yesterday's trip to show me some place:
-- If we followed that route then turned right and then left, we would reach Kazuń... and then it is a metric century ride -- he said.
-- Why don't we ride that way now? I feel good for 100 kilometres! -- I demanded.
-- You'd need the Vado to make it, Brother -- he explained -- Your 25 km/h Giant is just too slow for that!

Him, the fast traditional MTB rider! ;)

Back